Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Could there be a metatextual layer to the film being a pastiche of Jaws, a film that led to a wave of anti-shark hysteria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

tonedef131 posted:

OJ: "What do they call a bad miracle? They got a word for that?

Em: "Nope"

Also I'm riding on the theory that Jean Jacket's species has been mistaken for angels

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Phy posted:

Oh, yeah, if they've been here for a while and they eat anyone who looks at them but pass over those who avert their gaze. Not just angels, but gods, perhaps.

Then the Lord rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the Lord out of the heavens. Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, destroying all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land. But Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt. - Genesis 19:24‭-‬26

quote:

If there's anything that doesn't sit right with me about the movie it's Gordy's Home being filmed in 1998. That is a late 80s high concept family sitcom.

Mandela effect getting to me that I thought the Travis incident in real life was in the 90's or at latest the very early 00's and not as (relatively) recent as 2009.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also some interesting conversation on Reddit including a marine biologist's impressions of the movie- they figured out that Jean Jacket was an animal, not a vehicle piloted by sentient beings, before the characters did, based on the way it acts- its body language seems based on aquatic life, squids and octopuses in particular. Incidentally, they also theorise that Jean Jacket's species seems possibly more suited to ocean life, feeding on schools of fish most of the time.

Incidentally, came to mind myself that given its behaviour, body language and response to others- seeing eye contact as a threat like apes do and responding with aggression- seems to imply that it has some level of social behaviours, and the eye contact thing would make particular sense considering that despite apparently having very good eyesight- heck, it can tell that much smaller animals are looking directly at it- its 'eye' is only visible when it makes a threat display. Considering everything it can do, I imagine one of the only natural predators it might have are larger members of its own species, and given its immense appetite it probably has to claim a large amount of territory to sustain itself. Which of course, makes for another scary thought- it's not a one-off, there are others out there, and they might be even bigger.

...of course, given all it really took to kill it was a relatively cheap prop, it ironically isn't that big of a threat once you understand it... much like even the largest and most dangerous animals. Heck, Romans would probably be able to kill one, with decent siege weapons and knowledge of its traits to lure it into a trap, and they wouldn't even notice the EMP thing. If they are native to Earth, the invention of powered flight may have been a mass extinction event for them that humanity didn't even notice.
[/spoiler]

Is this the Reddit thread you're talking about?

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That be the one!

She substantiated my 'Jaws as metatextual reference' theory! (somewhat) Interesting also how she points out Harambe, the most recently ostensibly famous 'animal attack' actually is not exactly a good comparison like the other 3 she mentions.