Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I liked Nope the least of the three so far. Get Out > Us > Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Whatever the case that scene was deeply unsettling and will stick with me for a while. I assume that scene and maybe the space amoeba digestion scene are the reasons this movie is rated R.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

TheBizzness posted:

JAWS = Just A White Shark.

Anyone have a theory on the praying mantis that OJ “hadn’t seen in awhile” covering up the camera and fluttering away as soon as the UAP left the area?

It definitely played into the initial “it’s grays”/the viewers idea before anyone knows what’s going on but we never really see it communing with nature again only consuming it.

My theory is that it was a bad miracle and that's it. Just bad luck.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just like his last two movies, I'm still thinking about this one, which honestly doesn't happen often with the movies we see in the theatre. I initially gave this a 6.5 but I think it's better than that and probably better than Us. Get Out is still better but that's like a 9/10 for me.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole central theme of the movie isn't really particularly subtle: it's about animals on film, and specifically their relationship with show business. Showbiz treats them as marketable props, and promotes unrealistic ideas about them. People project a lot onto them and think they know and understand a lot more about them than they actually do, while neglecting their needs and keeping them in environments ultimately unsuited for them. The movie even directly and indirectly references several famous incidents of trained performing animals attacking humans.

Also I think I found a fun way to summarise the movie: Jaws, but they try to monetise the shark.

The whole Gordy sequence is absolutely meant to be foreshadowing, and draws comparisons between Gordy and Jean Jacket- both are ultimately animals, which were trained for a public performance that went horribly wrong. Jupe unfortunately basically ended up recreating the Gordy tragedy on a much larger scale, trying to overcome his trauma and ultimately recreating it in the most horrific possible way- an upset, confused and spooked animal goes on a rampage, brutally killing multiple people, in what was supposed to be cheap entertainment.

Also some interesting conversation on Reddit including a marine biologist's impressions of the movie- they figured out that Jean Jacket was an animal, not a vehicle piloted by sentient beings, before the characters did, based on the way it acts- its body language seems based on aquatic life, squids and octopuses in particular. Incidentally, they also theorise that Jean Jacket's species seems possibly more suited to ocean life, feeding on schools of fish most of the time.

Incidentally, came to mind myself that given its behaviour, body language and response to others- seeing eye contact as a threat like apes do and responding with aggression- seems to imply that it has some level of social behaviours, and the eye contact thing would make particular sense considering that despite apparently having very good eyesight- heck, it can tell that much smaller animals are looking directly at it- its 'eye' is only visible when it makes a threat display. Considering everything it can do, I imagine one of the only natural predators it might have are larger members of its own species, and given its immense appetite it probably has to claim a large amount of territory to sustain itself. Which of course, makes for another scary thought- it's not a one-off, there are others out there, and they might be even bigger.

...of course, given all it really took to kill it was a relatively cheap prop, it ironically isn't that big of a threat once you understand it... much like even the largest and most dangerous animals. Heck, Romans would probably be able to kill one, with decent siege weapons and knowledge of its traits to lure it into a trap, and they wouldn't even notice the EMP thing. If they are native to Earth, the invention of powered flight may have been a mass extinction event for them that humanity didn't even notice.

...also, apparently on an interview, Peele confirmed 'Nope' means Not Of Planet Earth

That's all fine but then how has it adapted/evolved to disguise itself as a cloud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

This is a perfectly fine answer because much like Us, Nope and a lot of horror/sci-fi movies, applying logic shatters the illusion and isn't the point.