Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I think that was pretty personal for Jordan Peele because he was at Mad TV, and he got accepted to join SNL and MADtv would not let him out of his contract. He’s been bitter about it ever since and refused to go to the MADtv reunion.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Heffer posted:

I was surprised my movie buddy didn't notice the signaling behind Holst taking pills. He was probably terminally ill and that factored into his actions.

I didn’t notice but my roommate is disabled and notices those kinds of things and pointed it out to me

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

are all of those typos intentional :stare:

Sorry, I did voice to text

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Martman posted:

Even Steven Yeun was misspelled! wow, just wow

One time I went to a convention as a guest and when I got off the plane a driver was there to pick me up with a sign that had my name on it. Turns out it was a limo! I usually got picked up in sedans. I was brought to a fancy hotel and was like oh wow, this convention is really rolling out the red carpet for me! Then when I tried checking into my room, they said they couldn’t find my reservation. I stood there for almost half an hour as they tried to figure out what was wrong until finally one of the convention organizers came running through the lobby to me and then explained that this hotel was for Steven Yeun and that they’d drive me over to the Raddison where my reservation was. I might have stolen his limo, so I wonder who picked him up at the airport

I thought it was funny and went over to his signing booth to tell him what happened but they were charging $65 to talk to him

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 3, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Everyone’s been pointing out that the alien looks like a hat but something I haven’t seen mentioned is that it looks like a giant eye. I guess because EEAAO is still on my mind and eyes were a prominent symbol there it stuck out to me. It’s a big white circle with a small black circle!

The alien can be seen to represent audience eyeballs, since everyone is chasing fame, and it’s even more interesting that the flying eyeball consumes what it looks at

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
This thread has really illuminated the symbolism of the movie for me. When I first got out, my takeaway was that the alien represented white supremacy. Maybe the Emmett Till trailer right before colored my view: everyone has to avoid making eye contact with it the way minorities couldn’t make eye contact with whites for a long time in America. It’s not as strong as the fame interpretation but I figure it’s still worth thinking about since all the people with power in the creative world are portrayed as white

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The dynamic of the old white filmmaker mentoring young black creatives, getting killed because he had a deathwish, then the young black creatives succeeding in the end reminded me a lot of Django Unchained

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
There’s just so much I like about this script the more I think about it

Unlike typical power fantasies where the hero has something great that he’s born with like Jedi powers or being a wizard, being good with horses is a real not-weapon-related skill he honed his whole life, and that skill is what gave him the insight to fight the alien.

It also works as a great ode to below-the-line crew on movie production, people who never get the credit that actors and directors do

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
At the end when Emerald sees that OJ survived, he’s framed in a wooden gate that I’m pretty sure was 16:9

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Just want to add that I literally had a sign to watch Nope this morning when I went to the smoke shop

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Do you guys remember a pig on a roof in the movie? I must’ve missed it the pig survived because it can’t look up

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Pirate Jet posted:

I haven’t seen you this enthusiastic about a movie since Portrait of a Lady on Fire. :)

I was also hyped after EEAAO. It's great to get two bangers this good after the drought of 2020 and 2021

I might be grasping for straws here but I can't help but feel that OJ being orange and Emerald being green mean something, but I have no idea what

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
For the above reasons, I think Jupe Is the most interesting character in the movie

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That had to be some explosive projectile diarrhea because a nickel falling at terminal velocity would not kill a man

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

LesterGroans posted:

Who gives a poo poo. The nickel in the eye death was dope.

The nickel in the eye death happened because somebody gave a poo poo

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I am also wrestling with the theme of “spectacle bad for you” being in the same movie where two creatives exploit and defeat the spectacle

The only way I can do that is to think that OJ wins because he has a deep knowledge of his craft and doesn’t become overconfident; he respects and has been working with horses his whole life and therefore gives the wild animal the respect and caution it demands whereas Jupe did not

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have to assume the alien symbolizes the concept of spectacle because it’s literally a giant floating eyeball that consumes

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Nessus posted:

To be fair to Angel he's a Fry's installer in the general area of Los Angeles, so I imagine there's business at least. :v:

Made me laugh because that’s literally my local Fry’s

For the past 5 years it was obvious they were going to eventually go out of business, less and less inventory over the years until they folded last year

So this movie had to be set in 2018 or something right?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Maybe the line is different for different people but I thought the story at face value was engaging on its own

Alex Garland’s Men was one where the textual story suffered at the hands of serving the subtext

I had a similar problem with Annihilation

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Timeless Appeal posted:

Allegorically, it makes sense for OJ to be the one to go toe to toe with JJ because not only did he begin to realize what JJ was before anyone else did, he also is probably the guy who most clearly sees Hollywood for what it is compared to his sister and Jupe.

I like this a lot

OJ only cares about his craft, handling horses well, and is not obsessed with getting famous or being a salesman, and maybe that’s why he is able to resist getting sucked into the Hollywood grinder

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/chasemit/status/1559573769798111232?s=21&t=v9eH-4uFwl1VJgLUDNIbpQ

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nothing to do with anything but it still blows my mind thinking about that video where an orange tiger still manages to be 100% invisible in green grass until it jumps out and swipes at the dude on an elephant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUdb8XHni_0

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

Now I want to see a film where the subtitles lie to you.

Okja, another film featuring Steven Yeun, not only had Steven Yuen lie while translating between English and Korean, but the movie itself lies to English audiences with intentionally inaccurate subtitles.

One of the themes of the movie is that you can never fully rely on someone else to give you the truth, it’s something you have to gain yourself

Fuckin Bong Joonho is devious

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 20, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Fyadophobic posted:

Saw the movie last night and loved it, still processing it today. Definitely a movie I would like to watch again at home so I can pause and pore over little background details.

The omnipresent eye/camera lens symbolism blew me away, I loved the TMZ guy's creepy helmet that was essentially just one big eyeball and that the camera well was set up as a Chekov's gun so smoothly at the beginning. I don't know if it has any significance but the idea of a camera in the well made me think of that old wives' tale about how if you look at the sky from the bottom of a well you can see the stars in the middle of the day. And every little detail like Jupiter's name (a gas giant that a JJ-like alien could hypothetically come from, but also the planet famous for having one big 'eye') and the fact that the balloon mascot is winking, giving it by design one round, black cartoon eye to match JJ's own.

I thought the creature design was fantastic, the perfect mix of weird and unique blended with archetypical and iconic. It gave me the impression of a 4+ dimensional being passing through 3 dimensional space, especially toward the end. One thing that stood out to me when JJ started to distort and billow was how much the material it was made of looked like projection screen material.

Something I haven't seen many people comment on is the Wizard of Oz allusions. There might be more than this, but off the top of my head there's a scene where Emerald (as in Emerald City, shortened to Em as in auntie Em?), dozes off on the couch while watching a video on her phone that namedrops the ruby slippers. And of course, the tornado imagery throughout. Somebody I saw the movie with pointed out a possible correlation between the core characters - Emerald is the cowardly lion (wants to flee the ranch repeatedly but ultimately gets her big moment of bravery at the end) Holst is the tin man (lost touch with the 'heart' of his craft but regains it seeking the impossible shot) Angel is the scarecrow (comes off as clueless to OJ and Em at first but ultimately his technical knowledge comes in clutch)

Holy poo poo oh yeah his name was Holst

Like, the guy who composed The Planets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0b4STz1lo

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pELxwTp7gk

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Huh.

The dad knew about JJ. He kept OJ in the dark about it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Spoilers: HD screenshots

It's not 100% clear that JJ has a camera obscura pinhole in the front, just that it has a notch

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Interview with phd marine biologist who consulted on Nope:

https://nerdist.com/article/nope-alien-name-revealed-science-consultant-interview-kelsi-rutledge-jordan-peele/?amp

Although it’s “not of planet earth” all the inspiration was taken from sea animals

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Martman posted:

I'm like... half-joking here, but the placement of the light there is making JJ look like some kind of invisible woman wearing an epic dress

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I had a racial interpretation of the movie at first but it was different. Maybe because the Emmett Till trailer played right beforehand

I imagined it represented white supremacy (basic, I know) since back in the day blacks were supposed to look down and not make eye contact with whites.

The interpretation of the flying eye in the sky as fame/hollywood/audiences is stronger, but I think the racial interpretation is still compatible with it, maybe as an additional layer of meaning

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'd just assumed it was in the periphery of a suck up and got kind of cast aside, that happens to the protagonists more than once.

That’s the running joke on social media and I’m going with it

CelticPredator posted:

it was on the sheriff building

This too

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Jordan Peele wrote an animated movie for Netflix called Wendell & Wild, and he and Key are the titular characters in it

Coming sept 11

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Peele's Twilight Zone was... tough...

There are certainly moments where you can see his involvement as an Executive Producer. The show was visually gorgeous, and the first season even had an option to watch all the episodes in black and white, where they ALSO looked gorgeous.

The real problem was that there were just universally weak scripts. In the first season each episode tried to do the classic Rod Serling thing of having a moral point, and people hated it. There was plenty of earnest commentary about things like race, class, and the human condition, and viewers very much did not like that. Plenty of commenters on drat near every message board were complaining about how 'woke' it was, and how they loved the original but hated this one's preaching. Of course, it wasn't any preachier or more 'woke' than the original (which was progressive as gently caress). But the perception in 2019 was that it was trying too hard, and when combined with mediocre scripts and too heavy of a hand, season one didn't light the world on fire they way they wanted.

So they did a course correction for season two and abandoned most of the moral plays, and instead leaned into science fiction. And there were some fun episodes there too, but the scripts were still just mediocre, so now they were churning out forgettable sci-fi without any moral core to it.

Had Jordan Peele taken the lead on all the scripts I suspect we would have had a substantially stronger show, but what we got was instead just bleh. I'm a pretty big Twilight Zone fan -- I've seen every episode of every version multiple times -- and even now I struggle to remember what some of the current reboot episodes were about.

Bad luck. Should have been a home run, but too little Peele in the mix IMO. Instead we got a lot of scripts from The X-Files' Glen Morgan (who wrote 20% of all episodes) and most of them feel like bad X-Files eps.

Should someone want to revisit the series, these episodes were the better ones (your mileage may vary):

Replay
Blurryman
The Who of You
Meet in the Middle
Nightmare at 30,000 Feet
Try, Try
A Small Town

It was completely outdone by Black Mirror, which did pretty timely episodes about social media and technology. The problem with Twilight Zone was it still doing 1950’s storylines and morality plays

Edit: I need to clarify, morality plays weren’t the problem, BM absolutely did morality plays. The problem was that TZ was doing morality plays from the 50’s

Was Electric Dreams any good

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 1, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

CelticPredator posted:

I rewatched it and Jean jacket is definitely an rear end in a top hat. He spitefully spits out the horse on OJ’s car, he definitely spitefully ate the audience. He’s a real mean jerk I tell you hwhat

When I moved into my first apartment a cat was chillin in my parking spot. I moved in slowly so it had plenty of time to take off, which it did. The next day there was poop on my windshield.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You still wake up sometimes, don't you? You wake up in the dark and hear the screaming of the chimp. And you think if you tame Jean Jacket, you could make them stop, don't you? You think if the audience lives, you won't wake up in the dark ever again to that awful screaming of the chimp

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
My audience had a hearty laugh about him

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The latest theory around the meteor that killed the dinosaurs is that it came from Jupiter

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

:stare: Oh God. You can see through it's skin. Why can you see through it's skin!?

I hate it, but I also love it.

If you’re traveling hundreds of years between stars and don’t get any light other than your monitor you don’t need melanin anymore

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7142898274750516522

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Universal Studios has a bunch of Jupiter’s Claim stuff on their tram ride