Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Compare this to Holst's Jupiter, from The Planets

Amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0b4STz1lo

This is cool as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

TheBizzness posted:

I really love Us but the more you think about it the less it makes sense. You kinda have to take it at face value and enjoy the ride.

I’d have to watch both Nope and Us again to tell you which I think is better. Right now I’d have it as a tie.

Yeah, Us one really works if you take it on a nightmare logic level. The underground exists, and can exist, solely as a karmic necessity. The mechanics of it are impossible, but the, but if you think of it as like a version of Hell that any sufficiently rancid empire will eventually grow beneath itself like a tumor, it works.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

chimp tore that poor little girl's face off :barf:

Chewed her face off, actually.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Panfilo posted:

Ngl I wanna see that SNL sketch now.

It's just Mr. Peepers, basically. Look up any of those bits and you'll have the gist of what it would be.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

[Cinema Sins voice] this shoe obviously should have fallen over because shoes are not balanced to stand like that *ding*

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I dont think there is anything in the movie, that scene, or the general themes to justifiably make the case that OJ is killed offscreen.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Well Manicured Man posted:

Dollars to donuts they were thinking of the exact skit mentioned here when they were making the props. The little details in this film are astounding.

I remember seeing that skit as a kid and knowing it all felt kind of weird to watch, but not having the emotional maturity to process or explain why. Heaven's Gate, OJ Simpson, Jonbenet Ramsey; the 90s sure had a lot of grotesque tabloid media spectacle emerge around some outright tragic carnage. What a gross, cheap loving country this is!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

I wouldn't necessarily call it a pyrrhic victory, but it kind of has that vibe of "we got what we wanted I guess, but did we really win?" It's not exactly a downer ending like it would be if they lost or died, but it seemed to have a sense of being slightly ominous or a kind of anxiety.

Anyone who has created and released personally meaningful art/media to the public will know that this is the exact complex emotion the creator undergoes once the world is invited to interact with it.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

How you all feel about Nope is how I felt about Rampage. :(

The video game movie with The Rock?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah. It has a gross af vore scene and it creeped me out. It showed way less then Nope did but I couldn’t stop thinking about it.

Crazy, I would never have guessed! Is it worth watching? (With the knowledge that I frequently post in the horror thread with you and so I am willing to subject myself to some real fuckin nonsense)

Also, never watch Attack on Titan if you dislike graphic scenes of being chewed up by a giant creature and realizing you are horribly still alive as its digestive tract mashes you, broken and shredded, down into a lake of stomach acid

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Vanilla Bison posted:

The nomenclature has changed from UFO to UAP, Unidentified Aerial People-eater

OEOHFPPE

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

JJ is a giant horrible thoughtless predator gunning for the apex spot and I have zero remorse about exterminating every single member of its species on our planet.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Mazerunner posted:

5) JJ was starving during the final scene, having had to spit out its previous haul of the Star Lasso experience audience. Possibly the last meal it had was Clover and/or the horse it got from Jupe that night. So that's why it moved during the day and generally seemed pretty aggressive, rather than because it was mad at the Haywoods and co. (Remember they set up all the tube guys without issue).

Wouldn't its last meal have been the TMZ guy or Holst?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I also thought the thing the lady saw at the end of the digestion scene was a partially dissolved horse head, and tbh I would have to see an image of that shot to be convinced otherwise, cause my brain really created a bold snapshot of what it thought it saw there.

But yeah, as others have mentioned, what did it for me was the abject panic, confusion, and terror as dozens of people grapple with what has just happened to them. They're in pain, being smashed, crushed, and digested. It reeks of death. Some are weeping, some are screaming, some a vomiting, some are groaning in agony. You can hear your loved ones, somewhere, and you know they are suffering the same unspeakable fate as you, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. You will each die alone, together, terrified, lost, and in pain.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

If ancient barbed wire from the far corner of a dilapidated ranch would be enough to shred JJ to ribbons, I really don't think it could eat a horse. Those things kick hard as gently caress and their hooves would gently caress JJ's insides up bad.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Solovey posted:

hi, so, i can't imagine there's a huge audience for this particular crossover of interests, but because i have terminal nerd brain, i was compelled to translate jean jacket and all her behaviors into a dungeons & dragons (fifth edition) encounter:

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-N825u51BKF6AB91qU0s

i drew up basically the entire statblock like a few days after i saw it in theaters, but it wasn't until i could pin down the flavor text from repeat viewings (and the scientific paper!) that i felt good about sharing it with others. constructive feedback is welcome ofc, i just hope it's cool and not stupid. or at the very least, cool AND stupid

Awesome work, absolutely terrifying, would rather fight a demon lord than this. Your descriptive text mentions an audible popping sound that accompanies JJ, and that it's for unknown reasons. I wonder if it's to intentionally draw attention and cause prey animals to suddenly stand still and look around for the source. If they correctly locate that it is above them and then turn their eyes skyward to ascertain the potential threat, JJ has them dead to rights; standing still and looking right at up at it. Leads me to ponder whether that might make an interesting ambush mechanic. Characters who don't know what JJ is/don't know what to expect might get idk disadvantage on initiative for succeeding on a Perception check or something. Or maybe it would make more sense for them to be the only valid targets of the ambush cause JJ can't see anyone who doesn't look at it, and any non-lookers would only get sucked up if they were in proximity to lookers.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think it has hypnosis powers or anything, it's a wild animal and might view eye contact as a threat. It's not going to trick people into looking at it any more than a gorilla would.

All kinds of things in the natural world use this kind of trickery. Anglerfish are an easy one.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

God Hole posted:

simplest explanation is usually the correct one: it's indigenous to earth and has been cohabitating with humanity all along. no need to address the space travel dilemma!

I thought Peele confirmed NOPE is an acronym for Not Of Planet Earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Dawg if the Nope alien is real I am straight up killing myself