Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

oh lmao, I just realized why the motorcyclist has the weird helmet with the cut-out. it's so he can use a viewfinder or display screen on his camera without having to spend time taking his helmet off, since the polarizer to block UV rays would mess with the display.
That dude freaked me out because that was the exact time you'd expect the Men in Black to show up.

Film was astonishing. I was a little janked around by some of the editing but I really appreciated everything by the end, it really threaded together. It seemed clear to me that the entity left because OJ stared it down. No one else had done so. I was not sure at that far of a remove if Otis Sr. had seemed to be looking at something or just looked up, then, well.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

grittyreboot posted:

You'd think an actress who was a lead role on a network sitcom could've afforded reconstructive surgery.
Based on how they presented the look you get at her, I think she'd probably already gotten about as good as you could get.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Darko posted:

Yeah, a grown man can fight off a chimp, no matter how much the Internet wanks them, but adult ones have killed and maimed kids and old people and even juveniles will still mess you up because they bite and claw at your face.
Yeah, the problem is that they immediately and deliberately go for your eyes/face/lips/fingers/toes/genitals. It's gorillas who can just actually pull you apart if they really care to

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Okay but remember all of 2020 and then never say “no one would do that” ever again lmao
I imagine Peele had the idea for a while and the timeline matches up perfectly if it was first considered in 2010 or so. He had to actually film it later and wisely retained the ape and some additional spoiler space

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Skooms posted:

I don't have much to add but when you first see the digestive canals of the monster, it immediately reminded me of corrugated plastic roofing, like for a outdoor shed or something.
Regarding this thing from earlier in the film: I didn't realize the direct cognate between Gordy looking at the camera and what I was seeing during the first glimpse of that interior. I'd thought it was some kind of hallway.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lastdancer posted:

I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere but the view during the opening credits and the star lasso experience when everyone gets sucked up... that's an extreme close-up of Jean Jacket's iris, right?
My interpretation of what that is is it is literally a view from what would be Jean Jacket's perspective, although Jean Jacket itself presumably would have become accustomed to the framing of the square-snapping parts around the square 'retinal' field. Presumably the viewing perspective moves around, shrouded by the rest of the organism, looking out of the hole to scan for prey. It is possible that it is able to detect some factor in eyes pointing towards it - eyeshine or something...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Martman posted:

I think OJ notices a pig on the roof of one of the buildings at Jupiter's Claim when he goes to get Lucky after the Star Lasso show has already been abducted. It's kind of notable as a "something really hosed up happened here" shot. I guess it still got sucked pretty hard but didn't make it all the way, which brings up some kinda confusing stuff about how exactly JJ's succ works, but oh well.
My take on the topic in the spoiler was JJ's using body suction and whatever bizarre electromagnetic scalar wave Tesla bullshit it also uses to fly (which is probably why it fucks with electronics) to slurp up food. It was probably not trying very hard for the pig as it had just eaten about forty humans and the pig wasn't looking at it; it seems plausible that JJ was just FULL, and had the crowd been large enough, some of them would have escaped being eaten simply because JJ could only slurp up so many apes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

I was intensely and uncomfortably aware of how much OJ and Lucky standing on the stage felt like they were up for auction. Their reprieve from the film execs eyeing them up and down like slabs of meat was only granted from his sister showing up and doing an affected jive-y salespitch.

Peele knows what he is doing. It's kinda scary how well he hits the mark with every scene
Yeah, I felt this tension when they met Angel at the Fry's.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah, Jupe had been at his chintzy attraction for a while. There were posters for his reality TV season and it seemed like he had bought it because it had been in "Kid Sheriff." I think OJ wouldn't have trusted him enough to sell him horses if he hadn't been at least a familiar face.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Speleothing posted:

He's been feeding it every Friday night for six months, in an attempt to train it to show up during his shows.

Anyway, the line about ownership of the tourist trap changing to Jupiter is super clear when OJ and Em are driving home after the commercial shoot.
Jupe had already bought a bunch of horses from OJ at that point. He had a secret ape museum he used as an AirBNB for morbid Dutch people.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Presumably the same force that was applied to draw large objects up was also being used to expel them down, rather than just passive discharge. There ya go

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Has anyone asked Peele about that particular theory? Ideally in front of a camera.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mike N Eich posted:

I feel like there's more to think through regarding the end sequence having the urgency and stakes of a Jaws where the protagonists have to desperately dispatch a dangerous monster but it's purely to capture an image of this thing instead of destroying it. Obviously the film itself brings attention to this - but it makes OJ's "sacrifice" and the final sequence from Em with the camera all the more interesting. What is OJ sacrificial gesture even for? To potentially make some money for Em and preserve their family's legacy? When Em enacts her final desperate move to get an image of JJ, her destroying it is purely incidental.

That's why I think its important that the final image of OJ has to be ambiguous - the film is deeply ambivalent (or even, totally hostile) to winning fame and fortune through spectacle - maybe OJ did survive (I like to think he did), or maybe he achieved a legendary status in a really silly and frivolous gambit just like the cinematographer did.

Regarding the spoilered topic it's interesting to me how so many people get the idea that OJ died from the film, since that never entered into my mind. I figured that Jean Jacket was intimidated by the little green man (ironically enough) who had stood up to it and fed it horrible strings, and it decided to gently caress off. It chased after the nearest prey object and finally engaged in an aerostatic being that seemed to just appear out of nowhere, namely the Jupe Balloon, and then went "pop."

I also doubted Jordan Peele was going to kill a heroic black cowboy offstage, although that's exterior reasoning

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Phy posted:

There's a Bobby Lovgren credited as Head Wrangler on imdb, and his notable work is a lot of other horse movies and TV shows, so my guess is yes, real-rear end horses were at least at some points present on set

I'm looking forward to hearing stuff from the cast and crew about the filming, tbh
I don't think any of the horse stuff I saw would have been particularly perilous to the horses so I suspect they used real ones except maybe for a few closeups and such.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

mysterious frankie posted:

The only thing about that is if we accept the reward amount Em throws out is accurate then they’d be making 100k, minus costs and repairs, possibly split three ways if they share with Angel. That might not be a lot of money for a functioning horse ranch, and in the larger scheme of things a payday doesn’t reverse the downward trajectory their corner of the industry was heading in even before the events of the film. Absolute best case scenario, given the information we’re get in the movie, is that OJ lets Em manage the exploitation of the catastrophe, she does a good job, and they maybe segue that into some kind of other career.

It’s a weird kind of victory.
I mean if JJ actually was an alien and someone finds remains and can confirm they were Not Of Planet Earth, OJ and Em just proved we're not alone in the universe which is probably worth a few million. Of course they'd also get fried for killing the only known alien but it was in self-defense.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

To be fair to Angel he's a Fry's installer in the general area of Los Angeles, so I imagine there's business at least. :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Idk if they were digested as much as cronched.
I figured the proximate cause of the blood poo poo over the Heywood manor was because JJ had both over-eaten a bunch of inert stuff (as opposed to 'horse,' which JJ can clearly handle entirely) and because it still had the loving horse statue in its gob.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ruddiger posted:

I thought it was pretty funny that her safety speech didn’t address any safety specifics at all.
I got the vibe that "safety minute" was more of an industry practice than literally "here is how you are safe around the horse," but that could have just been how the crew were presenting it... and if "safety minute" is in fact a pro-forma practice nobody cares about, that kind of ties into the whole theme, too. :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The monster eats more than it can handle and barfs all over the house, because it is a cat
I thought it had the fake horse clogging its throat which is why he did the blood rain. I assume it had to 'spit out' undigestible items but there wasn't a blood rain to come with the weird nickel rain that got Otis Sr. -- just metal.

Presumably it was able to completely digest or 'reduce to unidentifiable lumps' things other than metal and plastic.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The through line I detected was 'OJ starts asking about getting horses back (presumably never came up before) -> Jupe invites him to the opening night -> Jupe's idea is probably "well unfortunately that's where your horses went", possibly followed by a business pitch'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I felt like race was informing the movie pretty widely already, the slave-ship metaphor seems a little questionable. Especially since the people JJ eats seem to be mostly middle-class whites plus Jupe himself.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fyadophobic posted:

This movie cemented my opinion that in many ways Peele is the Millennial (or Gen X? He's on the cusp) David Lynch. The way he lets his ideas develop organically and intuitively, the way he paints emotional atmospheres with elements of Americana iconography, the mastery they both have over depicting the everyday horror of being stuck in an uncomfortable conversation. They both have a way of framing seemingly mundane objects in a fresh way that imbues them with surreal and threatening power. The way they both thread the needle in getting the perfect harmony between surreal humor and existential terror, without losing any narrative potency in the process, and so on.
Hilarious! I was reading the post you responded to and had a similar idea. How did Peele's spin with the Twilight Zone work out?

And has he been informed about Transcendental Meditation

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

If ancient barbed wire from the far corner of a dilapidated ranch would be enough to shred JJ to ribbons, I really don't think it could eat a horse. Those things kick hard as gently caress and their hooves would gently caress JJ's insides up bad.
A horse wouldn't have metal other than the shoes and nails. I imagine barb wire would loving suck to swallow and obviously JJ can't digest it, and it would be a lot more problematic than the fake horse which was at least smooth edged. But the sheer scale of the son of a bitch makes me think that it didn't get torn up much by it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I keep pondering the question ‘If JJ is an alien, how did it get to Earth?’ Its biology doesn’t seem like it would survive in the void of space all that well, I’d imagine?
Interstellar bilge water from the Roswell UFO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I didn't make that connection, but now that you've brought it up I suddenly realize I completely agree.

There would probably be a side quest you could do to get a Kid Sheriff outfit and a custom Kid Sheriff gun.
[X] Arrive at the Star Lasso Experience.
[X] Signal for Jupe IX to come meet you.
[X] Check the office.
[ ] Examine the sky for smoke.