Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought it was interesting we got references to Spielberg’s big three alien movies with the fist bump echoing the fingers touching in ET, the pattern display as a form of communication mirroring Close Encounters, and of course the people harvesting from War of the Worlds.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

When Jupe is describing the Gordy incident, he only describes it as a spectacle and never a tragedy. That opening quote sums it up.

Nahum 3:6 posted:

I will cast abominable filth upon you, make you vile, and make you a spectacle

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

As soon as I heard the name Jean Jacket, I was hoping we’d get a reference to the Stand or the Walking Dude himself.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bleck posted:

The creature ate the people.

He was a

one eyed,

one horned,

Flying

Purple

People

Eater

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was under the impression that Michael Wincott was the one who was handling the gun when Brandon Lee was shot on the set of the Crow, which made me wonder if Peele brought him on as a specific reference to safety on a film set, but it was Michael Massee who was the unfortunate person involved in the Brandon Lee tragedy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Each title card was specific to the animal featured in the act (Lucky, Gordy, Jean Jacket, etc.)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m glad they included the eye hole for when it’s in saucer mode but it looked like it was only one eye hole centered in the front, not two like in the drawing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought it was pretty funny that her safety speech didn’t address any safety specifics at all.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, the Dead Eyes podcast is a great eye opener in how decisions that costs thousands and affect the lives and businesses of people are made at the snap of a finger and are just a drop in the multitude of decisions being made on set that day.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

who would win in a fight, predator or nope

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

When OJ pulls the flag ripcord, Jean Jacket tries to pull up and it’s shell starts to ripple like a sheet, I immediately thought of the leader’s ufo from the Simpsons

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought the holes in the top part were caused from the barbed wire fence shredding up its gutty wutts

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

Dan missing my personal favorite. Members Only Jacket

Starter Jacket
Peacoat
Leather Vest

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They never show him thread the film into the camera, just loading the cartridge with the loose film needed to thread into the camera, they never show enough to say either way.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Oprah

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

davidspackage posted:

I love how he closes the door very gently.

And then calmly locks it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Send it to the family of Travis’ victim and let us know if they get the reference

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TheBizzness posted:

My biggest problem with this line of discourse is how heavy handed the word exploit is being used. Is any reference in film to a tragic real life event exploitation?

Yes

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I think that denying the films roots in exploitation is not only more damaging, it’s attempting to obfuscate the truth of history. No one is trying to poo poo on your lols by pointing out this movie has ties to real world tragedies, but denying the movie’s ties to those realities is tantamount to rewriting the origins of these stories.

I also think Peele is aware of all these pitfalls, which is why he wrote it into the bones of this movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The first time I ever heard that Corey Hart song was in a Chicago house mix where it was pitched and slowed to hell, it was awesome. I miss those old late night house music mix sessions on wbmx and b96.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I forget, did anything come of OJ putting that mirror ball on the plunger?

banned from Starbucks posted:

B96 The KILLER BEE

:hfive:

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 31, 2022