Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

1stGear posted:

I did find it kind of interesting that just before Jean Jacket starts sucking people up, Jupe specifically tells the audience not to use their cameras and his wife gets a closeup reiterating it.

l liked that moment, too; it came across as another variation on what OJ and Em were doing. The siblings knew they had to get the shot before a bunch of outsiders showed up and took control of/credit for their discovery. After what Jean Jacket cost them, they needed to break that family history of being treated as footnotes in their own stories. (Which you see with both the jockey and the fact that Otis Sr. supposedly revolutionized the horse training industry but his business was in trouble even before his passing.)

Jupe was after that same sense of control, but his child star past gave him a different goal. He wanted people to have to see his whole show to get to the "Viewers." Putting it up on YouTube himself would have made him a viral hit, but Jupe had been down that road already. It wasn't enough for him to just be linked to the UFO story. That's also why he hoped to buy the Haywood ranch, controlling all the potential places to see the "ship" would help him build up some buzz and grow the studio audience that the Gordy incident took from him.

Both sides of the story go back to their roots to interpret and make plans for this experience. The difference is that one group is open to what they're actually seeing and the other gets too caught up in a potential result to care about either the danger in playing around with this or the morality of giving up a horse to an unknown fate every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

CelticPredator posted:

Okay but remember all of 2020 and then never say “no one would do that” ever again lmao

A friend and I recently went to a roadside attraction that was at someone's house, and one of the people who ran it invited us to look at the behind-the-scenes area of one of the displays. We went through an old junk room to a small, enclosed space with the host standing between us and the exit, which had a padlock hooked outside the door.

We knew there was one other guest around, there were windows big enough to get out through, and it didn't feel sketchy at all. But later my friend and I talked about how we just walked into a horror movie murder room because a stranger asked us to and we didn't want to seem rude.

I wouldn't follow a creepy sound into a basement, but apparently there are levels of dumb movie poo poo that I will do if the alternative is socially awkward.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

The part of this that was the most chilling to me in Nope wasn't the shots of the victims inside JJ, it was the fact that you could track it by the sounds of screaming.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

While I agree that Em comes off as abrasive at first, which seems pretty intentional, her behavior completely clicked for me as soon as she brought up the story of the first Jean Jacket.

We're introduced to Em by Otis Sr. asking where she's been, and then by her lateness and over-the-top presentation. At that point it's natural to just assume that she's a flake. Then we find out that one of her formative memories is that broken promise to let her train Jean Jacket. That was supposed to be Em's first big role in the family business. It was this hugely significant thing for her, but then she realizes that teaching her wasn't as important to her father. He was okay with putting her off out of convenience. I'm sure he had his reasons, and depending on the financial circumstances of the ranch at that time, they might have made sense. But that doesn't change the fact that as a young girl, Em was looking forward to having her dad show her the ropes with Jean Jacket, and instead Otis Sr. was down in the ring with OJ, who was also still fairly young and inexperienced at the time. I'm going to guess that wasn't the only time that the daughter of the family felt more pushed aside than the son who shared their father's name.

Em's whole demeanor seems related to that understanding that she would have to be more independent. She wasn't around the ranch as much anymore because she hadn't felt the same opportunity in the place that OJ did. She promotes herself in borderline inappropriate ways because nobody else is gonna put her forward. Maybe she overcompensates, but it's just so relatable and sympathetic. It's rooted in that lowkey misogyny of fathers relating less to daughters, and it keeps standing out to me that her hustle is sometimes seen as grating while Jupe's more practiced (and better funded) self-promotion is more recognized as a product of his past.