Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I read some good commentary that basically frames the whole movie about everything needing to be filmed at all times from some people to feel like they own it.

I get how the chimp plays into the plot itself, but can't really think of much symbolism besides that at this point.

The alien I thought was really cool and expectation subverting. Everyone assumes it's a ship with Greys, you get a creepy scene with Greys that is subverted...and then the alien "ship" isn't really a ship, but instead some giant crazy alien animal that makes no sense at all to us in how it actually works. And then alien "abductions" are just this giant vore creature floating around areas, sucking people up into it and horrifically digesting them while they're constantly screaming. Pretty unique and nicely subversive!

Darko fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

First act I didn't like at first because the sisters character just bothered me, and the brother was so passive. By the 3rd, everyone evened out and it went heavy and strong on the themes and I enjoyed it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

mcmagic posted:

She's one of the more annoying movie characters I can remember.

Yeah, I generally hate characters that exist just to destroy other characters with no self reflection and create plot problems. But she improved.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

I looked up the real woman on Oprah and jfc that chimp hosed her up bad. Like worse than Nope could portray with all the makeup effects in the world

I remember hearing about it at the time and how chimps were incredibly strong relative to their size

Yeah, a grown man can fight off a chimp, no matter how much the Internet wanks them, but adult ones have killed and maimed kids and old people and even juveniles will still mess you up because they bite and claw at your face.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

That scene retroactively makes all the scenes where there’s the sound of screaming far off in the distance all the more horrifying.

Also, the thing that makes it so horrifying is that it starts with claustrophobic confusion and fear and then as you rise, the next peoples blood starts raining down on you and you know it gets worse.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

jasoneatspizza posted:

I don't know what actual research has been done on the strength of chimpanzees. But check out "hairless chimp" on Google images.

Theyre as strong as a human 30% heavier in certain actions (anything suited for climbing and such, they're stronger, things like pushing, not as much). So an average sized 100 pound chimp is as strong as an average 130 pound human in things like pulling and grabbing. Plus as stated, they fight like maniacs trying to bite and scratch your eyes and going for your balls while the average person would just be defending the whole time and trying to get them off.

There are multiple examples of grown men fighting off chimps bare handedly, but once you're talking about older people, smaller women, and kids, you get peoples faces bitten off and stuff.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Link please, if you don't mind; I've googled a few articles since the movie and haven't found any such accounts.

Found quite a few last year the last time Reddit was doing the (false) chimps are 4x as strong as a man stuff, when it's a lot less and the weight makes a large difference:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40405026

Can't find that same stuff searching on my phone now because someone recently did a poll where 30 percent of guys think they can beat a chimp and that 4x stuff is repeated...yet again. And its dominating the algorithm. I'll have to look through my history on my computer and see if I can find it.

On the anecdotal end, when I was in Uganda following gorillas around, I heard enough anecdotal stories about wild chimps being driven or fought off by singular dudes. If you look at the attacks where people are mauled or killed, it's multiple chimps on one person, or singular against smaller women, old people, or children who are just scared and defending. Theyre scary as hell because theyre like 13 year olds with big fangs and claws that will go berserker on you out of nowhere. Kids would have no chance due to being the same size. And that's where we are in the movie, from the perspective of kids and a scared, pampered actor that just ran and covered when attacked.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Well, there were no good shots in the first reel, and Angel put the second reel in wrong, so the first camera didn't get the Oprah shot. The harness camera was both obscured the whole time and would have been lost/destroyed by the leviathan if it'd not been killed, so no Oprah shot there. This makes the final scene necessary and its reward, beyond killing the beast, genuine.

Are you sure that reel was wrong? I didn't hear him answer when they kept asking about the footage.

All I got from that scene for sure is that he saw what some cinematographers see as that perfect light right at sun-up/sunset and had to go in and get that perfect shot.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Panfilo posted:

So wait, did Gordy kill EVERYONE in the studio except the kid? There were people in the studio audience that seemed pretty still, not sure if they were just cowering like Jupe or got mauled to death. The parents definitely got killed and the sister got horribly mutilated, but there were a lot of other people there, wouldn't most of them flee?

I didn't see anyone else; I figured they all ran.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Opopanax posted:

I think I get the idea with Holst now, maybe it was obvious and took me a bit but It's part of the subversion Peele is going for with the cameras as guns thing. Holst is the great white hunter character, the legend sitting in his jungle hut surrounded by his trophies.
He goes down shooting because that's what that character does, it's his last stand.

Hes Quint.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

People that live in constant fear of violence due to growing up in poor areas of the inner city are more likely to be a little more wary (always checking corners and surroundings due to worrying about crime, for instance) and often have had their fight/flight instincts more honed due to having dealt with more strenuous conditions where they might have to run from things or be forced to fight. That's where that stereotype (edit: new page - black people reacting better to danger in horror, either by being the first to run or attacking right away) kind of comes from, on both sides of the equation.

Related, watching Get Out in a majority black, edge of inner city theatre (with my white girlfriend at the time) was one of the most hilarious experiences I ever had. Especially with the group of women behind us constantly saying "see, that's why you don't gently caress with those white b*****s!" and stuff loudly over and over.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Panfilo posted:

Speaking of Gordy, where the hell was Gordy's trainer when things popped off?

Also, I had heard that the chimps they typically use in film /TV are juveniles specifically because they are less aggressive. The RL story of the woman who had her face chewed off by a pet chimp was an adult I think she had raised from a baby but the attack was not out of nowhere-he had been progressively more aggressive as he matured and the lady had apparently been giving him (human) benzos or tranquilizers to keep him under control.

You can't keep adult chimps as pets because they get too moody and unpredictable. Michael Jackson's famous chimp Bubbles was put in a zoo type enclosure once he matured, for instance (and ceased to like Michael or pay attention anymore when he went to visit).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, I think it's largely missing the majesty of Jurassic Park, which wants you to think about how these are beautiful and magical animals rather than a singular abominable predator that does not belong here and must be put down.

I think there are some structural similarities to Jaws too, with the Gordy sequence taking the place of Quint's monologue about the Indianapolis and the kids in the stable filling in for the night dive.

And the filmmaker coming in in the last third and joining the team, hanging out with their "Hooper" and ending up pretty much the same. And the way the alien dies by eating something and exploding. It's very structurally similar to Jaws.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Any animal I've met from sharks to gorillas that have shown me threat displays have backed off after I just slowly wasn't aggressive at all or backed off, and thats all I saw, from my experience. It showcased, and then chased something else was what I saw.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It resembles a frill, yeah.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Speleothing posted:

I had no problem at all with the dialogue, and I usually use subtitles at home. So that was completely a "your theater" problem.

Also, totally agree that the digestion scene wasn't scary. Almost comical, except for the screams

It looks funny at first, then you start thinking about the implications and it becomes "oh no." It's the screams continuing on for so long and so loudly that pushes it into scary and makes you think back to what you saw and how screwed up that would actually be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think there's quite a few predators who use camo to approach their prey, not to protect themselves.

Yeah, most obviously, tigers. But also vipers, some spiders, polar bears, etc.