Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Just to check, to the final chapters you only transfer what your characters are wearing right? For now my Pogo has the best equipment on the left side/Rock of Rocks/King Fang/Cola/Fertility charm/Pretty flower. Though idk if I saved over the final save I made on the chapter...Sundown has the frying pan, Yun had the best gear I had and Masaru/Qube don't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Just to check, to the final chapters you only transfer what your characters are wearing right? For now my Pogo has the best equipment on the left side/Rock of Rocks/King Fang/Cola/Fertility charm/Pretty flower. Though idk if I saved over the final save I made on the chapter...Sundown has the frying pan, Yun had the best gear I had and Masaru/Qube don't matter.

You get everything in the remake, even other party member's gear.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

SettingSun posted:

You get everything in the remake, even other party member's gear.

Even the inventory items? Cause I'd love those 500 HP AOE heal meats.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Even the inventory items? Cause I'd love those 500 HP AOE heal meats.

Yep, all of it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

In retrospect I should have done more crafting in Prehistory then but oh well.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
No, not the inventory items. Just equipment.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm pretty sure I got all my inventory items, too. Like I had Peach Buns in my inventory.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Yes, in the remake you get it all, whichever was really surprising. In the original it was definitely only what the lead character had equipped.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Yapping Eevee posted:

Yes, in the remake you get it all, whichever was really surprising. In the original it was definitely only what the lead character had equipped.

I'm doing the final chapter right now and it's pretty great distributing all the goodies I made in Akira's chapter. If I'd found out about the inventory carryover earlier, I'd definitely have done more crafting as Pogo. Probably wouldn't have given the Dragon Glove to the Shifu, too (equipped items on other party members do not, as far as I can tell, carry over, though I might have missed the glove in all the clutter).

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
When you beat a chapter, I noticed that the Chapter select has a current level statistic along with the ability to pick a new chapter.

Can the chapters be continued as a means to replay them or gain more exp?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Pillow Armadillo posted:

When you beat a chapter, I noticed that the Chapter select has a current level statistic along with the ability to pick a new chapter.

Can the chapters be continued as a means to replay them or gain more exp?

Basically yeah, with the caveat that the game only overrides Chapter Complete stuff if you beat the chapter’s final boss again, so if, say, you end Pogo’s chapter at level 5 and then grind to 16 for King Mammoth you need to beat up Odio again for the levels to take.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Einander posted:

I'm going to break from tradition here and say that none of the robot accessories are very good. Cube's always going to be one of your least effective attackers and the robot accessories aren't really going to change that, so his turns are better spent healing or using items. Make a couple with any attack items you get and then don't spend much more time thinking about it.

(It's also not important for the chapter itself, since the one normal boss fight is a gimmick fight.)

The other Near-Future equipment also isn't that impressive compared to other stuff available in the final chapter, so make Akira some decent gear and then leave it there.

I gotta say at least for this chapter the robot acc are great? Chick Shot is an OHKO on whatever it hits and given it's full of Leader enemies a long range 1 shot is great.

Also 2 more questions:

a)While the remake is clearer I'm still confused about Physcial and Special split. Is it just "Punch, Kick, Agile, Grapple are Phys, Elemental are Spe"?

b)Checking out an upgrade guide I saw you can upgrade accesories to get some things like a Magic Pendant or a Golden Hairpin. But I haven't seen any accesories yet. Am I missing them or are they rare drops?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

b)Checking out an upgrade guide I saw you can upgrade accesories to get some things like a Magic Pendant or a Golden Hairpin. But I haven't seen any accesories yet. Am I missing them or are they rare drops?

So, the upgrade chart was originally compiled with the help of Gameshark to just dump all the items for Akira's chapter into the guide creator's inventory. Nobody knows where to find most of the accessories as a result. However, the Abnormal Pearl (not sure what it's called in the remake) is a rare drop from one of the street encounter groups (I've literally only seen in drop in YappingEevee's LP, though), and the MK Badge (renamed the Poop Patrol Badge) can drop from the black-suited security guards in the lab. In any case, the two are of equal value, as the Coral Ring and Gold Hairpin are the only items worth making on that part of the chart (the Punk's Armband, if anyone could find it, is pretty good without being upgraded at all).

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

EclecticTastes posted:

So, the upgrade chart was originally compiled with the help of Gameshark to just dump all the items for Akira's chapter into the guide creator's inventory. Nobody knows where to find most of the accessories as a result. However, the Abnormal Pearl (not sure what it's called in the remake) is a rare drop from one of the street encounter groups (I've literally only seen in drop in YappingEevee's LP, though), and the MK Badge (renamed the Poop Patrol Badge) can drop from the black-suited security guards in the lab. In any case, the two are of equal value, as the Coral Ring and Gold Hairpin are the only items worth making on that part of the chart (the Punk's Armband, if anyone could find it, is pretty good without being upgraded at all).

Yeah, I ended up getting one of each. That said the Pearl is noticeable that it doesn't upgrade into anything. I just got a hairpin and went on.

Now onto the Ninja chapter... Now, obviously the logical thing on a first run is to just go and not try to go for pacifist/mass murder until you get your bearings, but there's one detail I found weird: Is it possible to fight everyone's favourite Japanese saint Amakusa on the Pacifist run? Since if you beat him you recruit the prisoner and recruiting the prisoner forces you into fighting some guys later.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Nope, not possible. Those are two 100% conflicting instances. It's really weird that you just never run into him despite being in the chapter intro and he's still there in the credits but eh, they can't customize everything.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

HGH posted:

Nope, not possible. Those are two 100% conflicting instances. It's really weird that you just never run into him despite being in the chapter intro and he's still there in the credits but eh, they can't customize everything.

I'm guessing it's that the expected route is that you'll kill some people but not fully (you can't get the Genji Gloves in pacifost either) and there's 0 reason not to try and rescue the prisoner besides foreknowledge you need to wait. The whole "don't rescue your objective or you'll be forced to kill!" is dumb anyways.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

It's pretty clear that the Ninja chapter isn't meant to be done as a 100% run in either direction the first time someone plays it, and is meant to be replayed repeatedly to discover how to get/avoid every kill. In fact, most chapters have things that encourage a player to replay it at least once (though, of course, this is based on a pre-internet world, where guides were uncommon and had to be bought separately in most cases).

-Pogo's chapter has King Mammoth and the 2001 reference, which players aren't likely to find when going through blind.

-The Kung Fu chapter is the most obvious, since it completely changed depending on which student you pick.

-Oboro's chapter is packed to bursting with secrets for a 100-kill or 0-kill run, not to mention Majin Ryunosuke.

-The Western chapter is set up such that it's likely you'll miss a trap or two if you're playing it blind, so replaying will let you get more efficient in hunting down traps, or else try your luck after setting none of the traps.

-Masaru's chapter has the hidden Watanabe scene and Worldbreaker's Wrath, neither of which have any indication that they exist.

-Many scenes in Cube's chapter can play out differently depending on how you approach them (in particular, there are three scenes before the antennas break that are mutually exclusive, depending on whether you visit Rachel on the bridge, go directly to the cargo hold, or join Kato at the computer core).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, how DO you get Worldbreaker’s Wrath before the endgame? I just figured it was there as something to unlock in the final chapter but in the credits Masaru’s using it in his own chapter.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, how DO you get Worldbreaker’s Wrath before the endgame? I just figured it was there as something to unlock in the final chapter but in the credits Masaru’s using it in his own chapter.

jackie can do it if you disarm him first

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

there's a loading screen hint about it now and there's a fairly cheeky picture in the final chapter credits that also hints to something hidden in a specific fight

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Jackie Iaukea's description gives you a hint. Hit him with both of Tula Han's holds so he's unable to do anything else, and he'll use it. Just be ready to heal yourself afterwards.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
That makes me wonder, if you missed learning other techniques in his chapter would you learn them automatically when leveling up in the final chapter?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Item Getter posted:

That makes me wonder, if you missed learning other techniques in his chapter would you learn them automatically when leveling up in the final chapter?

Yes Masaru will learn everything by level 16. This is true for everyone actually. Like if you were bad at training in the kung fu chapter your inheritor will still learn all the techs eventually.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Yes Masaru will learn everything by level 16. This is true for everyone actually. Like if you were bad at training in the kung fu chapter your inheritor will still learn all the techs eventually.

This isn't actually true, IIRC. If you're really bad at teaching your student, they could end up with more than one empty level during the training montage portion of the chapter (during which learning personal skills is disabled), in which case they will permanently miss out on any moves they hadn't learned by that point, as they never learn anything past 16. Not sure if it's still true in the remake, but it's very true in the SNES version. It's actually quite common to permanently miss Unseen Bow's Arrow (you may actually need to trigger it at some point during the chapter for it to be flagged as learnable).

Of course, I could be completely misremembering because it's been about a decade since I last played the game for the first time, which was the only time I risked missing anything.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

EclecticTastes posted:

This isn't actually true, IIRC. If you're really bad at teaching your student, they could end up with more than one empty level during the training montage portion of the chapter (during which learning personal skills is disabled), in which case they will permanently miss out on any moves they hadn't learned by that point, as they never learn anything past 16. Not sure if it's still true in the remake, but it's very true in the SNES version. It's actually quite common to permanently miss Unseen Bow's Arrow (you may actually need to trigger it at some point during the chapter for it to be flagged as learnable).

Of course, I could be completely misremembering because it's been about a decade since I last played the game for the first time, which was the only time I risked missing anything.

From what I've gathered the remake fixes this, I think the problem in SNES is that you can't learn 2 moves in one level, but I got both Unseen Arrow and Yun's ice move. (Also apparently you can learn moves in the temple raid now if you couldn't in SNES).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

From what I've gathered the remake fixes this, I think the problem in SNES is that you can't learn 2 moves in one level, but I got both Unseen Arrow and Yun's ice move. (Also apparently you can learn moves in the temple raid now if you couldn't in SNES).

I do believe it was impossible to learn personal moves during the temple raid, because I remember being very intent on getting Unseen Bow's Arrow to trigger during the fight with the dudes around the table back then, likely to ensure Lei would learn it during the raid, thus avoiding an empty level that would have ruined her chance of getting all her moves. But, again, someone who's played the SNES version more recently may show up and correct me, my memory ain't what it used to be. :corsair:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, finished the Japan chapter. 0 kills and managed to beat the superboss at lv 10 (and the second one at 11l. Who is the true player, guides that go around levelling to 16 for every single boss?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

EclecticTastes posted:

I do believe it was impossible to learn personal moves during the temple raid, because I remember being very intent on getting Unseen Bow's Arrow to trigger during the fight with the dudes around the table back then, likely to ensure Lei would learn it during the raid, thus avoiding an empty level that would have ruined her chance of getting all her moves. But, again, someone who's played the SNES version more recently may show up and correct me, my memory ain't what it used to be. :corsair:

You definitely could; Yun usually ended up picking up his first two skills before chapter end, as I recall. Meanwhile, in the remake, Lei learned her first personal move during the chapter climax and then picked up Unseen Bow's Arrow on her first level in the final chapter, so something is happening. It's possible that there's a special catch-up rule in the final chapter specifically.

If not, well, at least a character with Fox's, Heavenly Peak's Descent and their personal moves would still be pretty competent, and that's the only learned move you absolutely need for the ultimate weapon. And it's even the one you'd use if you were just speedrunning the training!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Also once you get Jackie to do Worldbreaker once, he'll always do it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also once you get Jackie to do Worldbreaker once, he'll always do it.

To clarify, it goes into his normal attack rotation, he won't keep doing it repeatedly.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Just finished Middle Ages. What a chapter :smith:

Now onto the final chapter... I'd say I'll go with Pogo? He's my highest levelled protagonist, has good variety of elements, AOE attacks and has the Cola Bottle if I get mad. Also I want to see how whatever little dialog there is goes with a MC that knows one word :v:

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Just finished Middle Ages. What a chapter :smith:

Now onto the final chapter... I'd say I'll go with Pogo? He's my highest levelled protagonist, has good variety of elements, AOE attacks and has the Cola Bottle if I get mad. Also I want to see how whatever little dialog there is goes with a MC that knows one word :v:

He's a good starting pick, and yeah, you're in for a treat in regards to unique interactions, go for it!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, ended up going with that and it's been fun. But man the random encounters are being a downer, even with fleeing from most to get to the superboss sooner. Only 3 trials and that left before going to the Roost.

On that note, for the good ending boss battles, do I have to give some gear to my 3 leftover characters or can they coast with just their ult weapons?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Yeah, ended up going with that and it's been fun. But man the random encounters are being a downer, even with fleeing from most to get to the superboss sooner. Only 3 trials and that left before going to the Roost.

On that note, for the good ending boss battles, do I have to give some gear to my 3 leftover characters or can they coast with just their ult weapons?

If you have spare gear, you may as well hand it out, but the boss' stats are exactly the same as the first time you fight them, at least on the SNES, so you shouldn't need it. The only fight that's arguably harder is O-D-O since you don't have Gori, Beru, and Zaki providing extra actions, but that just takes the fight from "trivial" to "very easy".

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

EclecticTastes posted:

If you have spare gear, you may as well hand it out, but the boss' stats are exactly the same as the first time you fight them, at least on the SNES, so you shouldn't need it. The only fight that's arguably harder is O-D-O since you don't have Gori, Beru, and Zaki providing extra actions, but that just takes the fight from "trivial" to "very easy".

I'd argue that O.Dio is the biggest problem, just because the Gatling Gun is no longer diagonal-only in the remake. Sure, it has a charge time and Sundown is fast, but if you're not using him in your main party the it's a very good idea to load him up with your best leftover gear. If the fight is short, then that's less opportunity for you to do something stupid and take 999 to the face.

They actually did make Odeo easier in the refight, I noticed: he's down from about as much HP as the Steel Titan to less than half. But considering that the Steel Titan doesn't level up, I'm not going to complain about that change.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Finished the game with the true ending. Overall really liked it and a well done remake, even though they could have updated a but more stuff, mostly in the final chapter (a way to control the encounter rate and reducing the number of flees to find Death Prophet That poo poo made the endgame drag a lot.

That said, I really loved what they added to the ending: the fight with Sin of Odio, GIGAlomania, aoersted redemption and Pogo hugging Oersted... I actually got a tear in the eye.

That said I doubt I will repeat that hell with every other character just for the stars, so that's the end of Live a Live! See you later, you inspirational jewel.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Been a while since I did some progress since I get easily distracted. Only three more bonus dungeons to go.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Well, I finally finished up the remake, and the new ending was really great. I'll admit, though, the new boss' design seemed a little plain compared to Demon King Odio, and Gigalovania can't really hold a candle to Megalomania. Maybe I'm just partial to 1994's aesthetic sensibilities, but while the fight itself was unbelievably rad, the sound and visuals were kind of upstaged by the rest of the game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Gigalomania is less hype than Megalomania but someone pointed out that it’s basically using Valiant Struggle as a leitmotif and given how the new final boss ends up being Oerstied’s mini redemption arc I respect it for that at least. Track just has an unfortunate name for what it’s going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Gigalomania is less hype than Megalomania but someone pointed out that it’s basically using Valiant Struggle as a leitmotif and given how the new final boss ends up being Oerstied’s mini redemption arc I respect it for that at least. Track just has an unfortunate name for what it’s going for.

Yeah, I get that, it just feels like an unfortunate contrast between "visual and sound design in 1994" and "visual and sound design in 2022" where somehow 1994 ends up feeling more daring and original, even when judged by 2022 standards. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but both the design and composition are really bog-standard "post-Playstation Square-Enix", and this was a chance for them to instead make a big swing, come up with some truly out-there visuals and music, and basically say "This game was ahead of its time for 1994, and here's what we think is ahead of its time for 2022". Which, obviously, is just my own high expectations, it's no fault on the devs' part, plus Demon King Odio is a tough act to follow when it comes to novel and interesting boss designs. Loved that the whole crew got to team up on Sin of Odio, though, that ruled.

Also I wonder if Toby Fox is gonna compose Gigalovania now...