Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m like an hour into the prehistoric era but I very much appreciate there being loving Flintstones cars. Also this smelling mechanic is neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Just finishing Prehistory, but lol that they got Vegeta’s JP voice actor to play the smug dickhead rival character, perfect. There’s supposed to be super boss, right? Am I right in figuring that if I wither need to restart the chapter entirely or even if I can still fight it I might as well restart to have Beri with me?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Yapping Eevee posted:

No need to worry, all the secrets and the bonus boss are only available right before the final boss room's door.

Oh cool, time to go back and roam the wilderness!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That King Mammoth sure is something. I ended up grinding to level 10 to fill out my missing skills and he still tore me a new rear end in a top hat. The real hard part is when he, you know, explodes.. Because of course he does, why wouldn’t he?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah I have one of those, the main issue is that he’s so dodgy half my attacks seem to miss, and then he does his explosion move which is pretty easy to healtank through but heals him for ~200 HP before I can turn them into poison tiles. Idk, is there something I can craft that boosts accuracy, because it would be a pretty easy fight if Pogo’s hits could consistently land with the stone healing buff.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
He spawns for me pretty consistently three attempts now and I only went after him after clearing the chapter since I thought the game was gonna give Beri back before the endgame boss.

Snake Maze posted:

While it’s nice to have the fertility charm, I found it was better to heal with the meat from hunting when you can. The charge time on the charm is long enough that there were a couple times that using it meant the boss was able to put fire tiles down and heal from them before I could get a chance to stop him. Meat is instant, and the large one is an aoe full heal.

Yeah I’ve been realizing it would be nice to have both forms of healing, being able to use a big meat chunk would help for when he decides to nuke the entire screen so I can potentially keep momentum with Gori’s poop attack.

Also, I’m fully willing to accept that I’m a child but it’s kind of funny that they just have dumb emoji censors for the attacks where two characters expose themselves instead of, you know, not flashing their balls.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks! Also, do I get anything besides the flex for beating it? I honestly don’t care either way, just curious

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Finally beat King Mammoth! Question for stuff I kind of know from looking too much at YouTube comments of the original SFC OST:

i know there’s a final act where you recruit your protagonists from the other era or something along those lines. Since the Prehistory section has

Completed: Pogo Level 5
Current: Pogo level 13

Does that mean the game’s gonna go with the clear file data stats and not the current one, and that I’ll need to beat the campaign again (not that I’d especially mind, I might just do it again for the hell of it tbh) for my fully leveled character with all his combat skills to be the one that gets used for the vague spoiler thing?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Alxprit posted:

Yes you gotta beat the chapter again. It'll make new complete save data.

Yeah I kinda figured, thanks.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ancient China: man that’s a bummer with the other two disciples, I went with Lei because come on but the other two were nice kids. So how does it work, I’d guess whoever survives is whoever you favor the most, but what happens when you do something like 2-1-1, 1-2-1, and 1-1-2 with the training sessions like I did and not 2-1-1 all the way?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

Voice acting is great but I want to give special notice to the Imperial China ending where the English dub sounds like this, but in Japanese, they add some extra special flair to it.

is that the other disciples’ voice actors in the Japanese version? Kind of a shame they didn’t do that in the dub if so since they all sound great in the trailer

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Huh, Present Day is pretty short, huh? I’m like halfway through and the premise of fighting Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out-rear end weirdos is pretty rad but I kinda wish it worked more like Mega Man (than it already does) and actually gave you a short level per boss to flex your new moves with.

Also finished Edo Japan, no idea truthfully how you get swole enough to kill the fish but I guess that’s what the genocide route is for. It’s kinda crazy that they made a wholeass stealth chapter when there was only Metal Gear Vanilla as a big stealth game, and added two optional goals with different idiosyncratic attached with Pacifist/Genocide like killing that one hannya man before killing everyone or figuring out how the hell to not kill those last three guys before Ode.

This game having so much potential replayability in general is one of the most impressive things, like the remake is well done, and I knew about the premise of different eras/styles long before the localization announcement, but having the foresight to design stuff in a way where, if you were a kid, could get dozens of hours out the campaigns, even the less conventional JRPG ones, was foresight I wasn’t expecting from an old SNES game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

The secret to the fish is that it's vulnerable to the instant kill move, which you can learn by giving six koban to the pot or by grinding an inordinate amount, but don't do that. This can be done in a pacifist run.

Awesome, thanks

EclecticTastes posted:

There is another way to deal with the fish. Shooting it with the prisoner will cause it to turn around and interrupt it, and its only moves either have a charge time, or require it to be at melee range. So just knock it back with your move of choice (even Waterspout is fine; the healing it gets is nothing compared to what Mammoth King gets from fire tiles, since water tiles have the lowest damage of all tiles), and then keep spinning it around to keep it wasting turns on flipping back towards you. It takes a little bit, but it's vastly easier than the Majin Ryonosuke fight. The biggest problem is the backtracking involved in killing both bosses in a zero-kill run, where you wanna take the mimic to Ryonosuke, then use him for his usual purpose (since he sinks in water much too quickly to be used against Lord Iwama, then come back to Lord Iwama after you get the prisoner. You may even want to get the medicine box before backtracking, just to make sure you win as quickly as possible, since it can take a while.

I’m gonna be honest, I must have missed a LOT because I think I found Majin Ryonosuke if he’s the super boss in the koban jar hallway that kicked my teeth in, but everything else sounds like gibberish, unless Iwama is a mandatory boss I’m just forgetting the name of.

I’m definitely sure I missed something because I was looking for the key to the cells and found three bucket head guys, beat them up just to see what they were guarding before intending to reload, and then poo poo got real, the Prisoner shot Ode, and then he turned into a hosed up frog and I saved when the end chapter prompt came up because for some dumb reason I figured it would boot me back to my last manual save spot with the Chapter Clear progress marker on my file.

So umm, where do I get the key from? Or this mimic?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

It's hardly a spoiler, come to think of it, since it's just a normal hazard of the castle layout, but the giant fish in the moat is named Lord Iwama. If you avoided it without noticing it, it's the giant shadow in the upper portion. As for Mimic Mammet, try killing the electrodes before finishing off Clockwork Gennai. Phantom Butterflies clears 'em out pretty quickly. From there, well, that pot in the hallway isn't the only place you can spend koban. You may have noticed a suspicious-looking slot behind Gennai's room. Be sure to bring four coins; three to get in, one to get back. And be sure to save, trust me, if you end up falling afoul of a particularly dirty trick, you'll be glad to get back. Anyway you need to do all that to get a zero-kill run.

Oh yeah, I met and was quickly obliterated by Lord Iwama. And thanks on Mimic Mammet, I definitely would have just not bothered killing the helpers otherwise.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
i grinded Oboromaru to level 7 with Lost Spirits and did the lion’s share of that after I killed the ghost lady, maybe my game’s just not working right though

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah it works like any of the other onscreen encounters that just mill about in the other chapters and reload after a screen transition

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Talking JP voice acting in general, is it me or did they specifically get a lot of actors who were especially prominent in the 90’s? I’m not like, ultra familiar with seiyuu but a lot of the credit names pop out as familiar even if I’m playing in English, and it would be pretty cool if that were the case given it’s a remake of an SNES game and all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I didn’t know that about Sugita, really glad he got to work on a passion project like this.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That art is pretty neat, i think I like the old art for Imperial China better for conveying the “tone” of each character at a glance, but…umm, I’m pretty happy with the current art style for Prehistory, no offense to the original artist. Kinda surprised Beru’s shell bikini never fell off after looking at the original art.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh, well, I was kinda pussyfooting around how I really felt to be nice because i guess it fits the vibe of “dumb slapstick and fart/wiener jokes, but in that case thank goodness for the redone Prehistoric art, the old art makes Gori and Pogo look like horrific goblin men.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It kinda sucks about the dearth of female protagonists, but at least the remake devs felt the same way since Octopath is a 50/50 split and the girls there seem generally cooler than the guys.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Booky posted:

i've Finally been able to sit down and start playing!! i'm almost done with the kung fu chapter and i was wondering if i should give my disciple the shifus better equips before confronting the baddies?

also, :(

you definitely should at some point, but it’s not a nonstop gauntlet without any rest to pause and reequip so it’ll be fairly obvious when you should do that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Goddamn does the Near Future battle theme slap, easily my favorite non-Megalomana one so far.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
(Near Future) in the lab, does the boss have to be killed? I doubt it since it has over 900 HP which is reserved for superbosses, but I know it’s not a cutscene death = plot progression either, so do I just need to take off a 100 HP or so? that pool kid hits like a coked up bulldozer so I just wanna know ahead of time if I should just dump my healing/combat items into surviving or what.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ah, thanks, must have glossed over those hints

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
And Near Future done! I heard something about a secret dungeon entered by warping enough times to it to malfunction, I just waiting on trying for it because I figured Lawless would be a full time party member. I don’t mind replaying, but the “warp in random fights in the city” thing is true for my replay, right?

Edit: goddamn I love they made an English version of the theme, they could have just subtitled the JP like sane people but no :allears:

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 2, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Novasol posted:

Even answering this is a spoiler, but no, you didn't miss anything, you're jumping the gun a bit.

Oh, nevermind then, I heard something in the thread and the load screen tooltip mentions something about ending up in weird places. Guess it’s for the final chapter then!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

A lot of that content was changed in the remake, because the sprites are much more detailed and also it's no longer 1994. If you give Beru a Wildheart Dress or, supposedly, a Fertility Idol, she used to jump up and flash Pogo, showing a "nude" sprite and causing a Big Anime Nosebleed, but now she drags him into the haystack for vague stuff.

So it’s just the ending of Prehistory but earlier now? :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Distant Future, and by extension the first seven campaigns, done! kinda surprised by how things ended up with the behemoth, figured for sure you’d be getting equipment together to give Cube combat equipment to kill it instead of going into a video game for a super anticlimactic boss fight that just kinda dies after looking at it funny. I can see how it might not be very fun to do that in the SFC version since even if there’s a map like the remake there’s no helpful story marker.

Anything that can vary? Never found the memory card, are all the crew deaths/incapacitations set in stone?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That’s a shame, maybe they figured a section with no mandatory combat that theoretically could be your first scenario (not terribly unrealistic assuming you’re going in reverse chronological order) shouldn’t have a boss that’s that hard, but I just used the Maser Gun like twice and it was over so they definitely went too far in the other direction if it was originally a puzzle fight like the rest of Captain Square.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
ehat the gently caress, on top of all the other poo poo there’s secret shoes? That I’m guessing absorb a lot of elemental tiles? What else does this one section have?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Middle Ages done! i thought it was lame that Oerstien didn’t have any lines because I thought they were doing the old school RPG thing which came across as just kinda dry/lazy since even the more terse protagonists like Sundown and Oboromaru have their dialogue prompts, but I guess they were doing a thing that works pretty well!

Gotta say, at least before the guy a few pages up forgot to put spoiler tags I was not expecting the finale to be “MC’s best friend was into the princess and she was probably into him, they both hate him and he died in mortal combat and she commits suicide, Oerstien says “gently caress it”.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So for the Void of Hatred or whatever the final chapter does it matter who I choose out of the seven non-Oerstien protagonists? I went with Cube thinking it’d be decent little mini-dungeons, and I like the lil guy but if this is a “pick your favorite to beat the game with” situation then I’ll just restart.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Truxton posted:

Endgame character stuff:

Sundown's a great choice as leader because, as mentioned, recruiting him (And re-recruiting him) is a bit of a chore and he's one of the best damage dealers anyway. He's not great to have in front, though, as he's very squishy the later in levels you get, so make sure to change formation once your party starts to get more rounded out.

Masaru's not as terrible as people make him out to be. Yes he starts at level 2 and if you don't give him a Taeko's Furious Fist soon enough it can feel like his damage is lacking, but enemies scale to the party's level anyway and he's pretty tanky and has a competent self-heal + buff. His moveset is pretty varied and comes with lots of debuffs. The others do kinda overshadow him a bit, but he's perfectly viable.

Cube is the best healer in the game (No one else has a Counter Heal with an area effect) and might be a permanent fixture of your endgame party anyhow, their early game isn't too bad if you made a full compliment of robot weapons for Taroimo because they're compatible with Cube, just make sure to recruit Akira ASAP so you get his inventory, Masaru, who is still a good meatshield, can also be recruited by Cube early on without a fight (He also won't fight Sundown), and he's not far from Cube's starting point. Also shouldn't be in front for long.

Pogo is already pretty beastly to begin with, even moreso if you went through all the trouble of his optional fights and equipment, he's a good starter pick.

Lei's the fastest character, gets access to everything from high-damage single-target attacks to crowd control with Wise Fox's Grace and Sacred Dragon's Tantrum (Don't neglect her Special Attack stat if you want the most out of these two!). Put her in the front of your party and you can potentially get the latter off before any enemy can even act.

Oboro is another very well-rounded character, if you went through all his optional content he'll likely already be extremely powerful when you start the chapter. Excellent choice.

Akira is... well he's better than he was in the original, but not by a whole lot. He can heal, but he doesn't have nearly as much range with it as Cube. He's got massive attack ranges but lacks the damage to make it feel impactful. He's ok in normal encounters and he's not useless in a boss fight but all the charging he's got to do for his best attacks makes him feel kinda weak when Sundown, Lei, and Pogo can get greater results with just as much effort. It's just for every good thing he can do, he gets overshadowed in that category by someone else, even his area attacks get outpaced by Sacred Dragon's Tantrum and Big Shout being fullscreen. Basically only make him your leader if you really like his character
He does give Odio a pretty good verbal beatdown in his version of the true ending, at least.

well that’s a shame wrt Akira, I got spoiled that there was a chance to mindread some spirits for extra dialogue and he’s pretty cool in general; and yeah, Cube/Pogo seems like not the best choices narratively which is part of what I wondered. Cube does seem like an amazing healer tho.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man, no story spoilers, but random encounters after seven campaigns without them sure sucks. I thought at first that they were doing it to be cute since the Middle Ages is basically “now we’re doing a normal JRPG” but now that they continue on to the final chapter getting interrupted by encounters that serve like no purpose makes me realize it was probably a “gently caress, outta time” thing since Chrono Trigger was made by some of the same people and also does the exact same thing. I get why you’d be apprehensive to change this part of the old game and there’s still like a 99.9% flee rate so it could be worse but getting interrupted when it feels like the game wants me to explore and then get interrupted by a fight I’m just gonna flee from..:feels lame, man.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I just got Sacred Dragon Temper too and what the gently caress, I’m sure not complaining but
- was it this good originally
- did the other disples learn it or something on its level?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Final Chapter gameplay spoilers: ive gotten to all of the dungeons besides Masaru’s, is his in the Roost? Not sure I’ll even bother with it tbh, his moves are kinda restrained wrt area of effect and just about everything from the start of Middle Ages has been dragging a little, purely in gameplay terms, but still curious.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ah, thanks. i guess I’m going there after all because that’s where Google says the Golden Topknot is.

Speaking of Pogo’s dungeon, how obvious is it in the original? I found it based on process of elimination since there’s a door/entrance marker on the map that can’t be interacted with normally but those aren’t a thing in the SFC version…

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Pogo's sniffing ability is enabled on that one screen, that's how you're meant to find it, as he'll pick up the scent. But it does force you to just randomly hit the Y button on each screen.

ah, that does seem a little janky insofar as they could have just left in sniffing and had it do nothing most of the time like here but like I said before I’m guessing time constraints were a concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Endgame: was the part where the gold fish tells you “if you really can’t figure it out try a strategy guide, but just experiment first cause you’ll feel more accomplished if you figure it out yourself” in the original?