Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I never played the original and kinda bounced off the demo because I picked the ninja (which I now know I should save for much later)

I picked Imperial China this time and I'm immediately charmed by how much personality there is in this game. I love the shifu's "Hmm, if it isn't <item>" text every time he finds something and I'm already looking forward to everyone else's little dialogue touches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For when I get to the Edo Japan chapter: if I'm not going for a perfect pacifist run, should I care about how many guards I kill at all?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Four chapters down, did the Wild West one last night.

What a cool premise that was. I really love how the short story structure lets them just experiment with the form and do creative things, knowing that hey, if it doesn't land for any given player, it's over in like an hour anyway. Ultimately it seemed pretty easy to set up all the traps and chump the bandits (were the little sparkles indicating where items are there in the original?), and watching them fall prey to the traps was a really funny scene. Also lmao that O. Dio was a horse the whole time. Evil horse with a gatling gun ftw

Going to do Edo Japan next. I found it kind of weird in the demo but I'm hoping that going in and just not really caring about the kill count will make it a smoother experience this time. I can always do a pacifist run later.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 26, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glagha posted:

To answer your question, the item sparkles were not in the original game, no, so the western chapter required a bit more rubbing your face on every object. Edo Japan is also one of the more complicated chapters and the demo doesn't really sell it I don't think since the chapter is very nonlinear. The pacifist and 100 kills runs are both very difficult to do without a guide or prior knowledge so I definitely recommend you ignore the kill count.

Yeah, trying it in the demo gave me the impression that there were going to be degrees of "success" for how few kills you got and that I needed to minimize kills even if I wasn't going for 0. Now that I know that there really isn't anything other than "pacifist" and "killed at least one person" I'm just going to ignore it and try a pacifist run later.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glagha posted:

Don't worry if you feel like you missed something in the ninja chapter, it's such a weird and convoluted chapter that there's always something weird you might have never noticed because. There's a ton of secrets and weird events. As for the mimic mammet, I swear that poo poo's impossible to do blind. Even knowing roughly how to get it I managed to gently caress it up because I stepped on the cushion on the way out after putting in the coins and fell into to basement which appears to break the event because then the coin slot is still gone but there's no mimic and no way to interact anymore. It's so weird and fragile and seems to break for no reason

lol I did exactly the same thing when I did this chapter last night

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How many koban can you get in one run? I'm wondering if I can still give six to the pot for the special insta-kill move. I've already given three to the mimic mammet--and failed because I fell into the trap--and then I put one more in the pot and I'm not sure if that counts towards the total or if it has to be six at once.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Off the top of my head, there are, I believe, six or seven chests containing koban, but not all of them are accessible depending on if you're going for zero kills or not (specifically, one requires you to kill the Go-Nin-Ja, which does also get you the Genji Gauntlet). However, you can nearly double that total by freeing Goemon, who will restock most of the chests containing koban, as well as the chests containing the Genji equipment, and, most confusingly, he'll even replace the Muramasa so you can grab another, if you wait until then to free him. Also, even if you spend three koban to access Mimic Mammet's room, the only way out besides the trapdoor is spending another koban to reset the mechanism. The money pot is essentially a trap, since Oboro learns his moves naturally by leveling up, and getting a move early isn't of much benefit when you already want him high enough to know all his moves before fighting the optional bosses.

I'm not doing a zero kill run and I did free Goemon so I guess I'll go search around!

I'm not sure if I can actually get Oboro to a high enough level though because I already killed the boss in the ghost room so I think the ghosts stopped spawning, and I'm not sure I can get enough EXP elsewhere. I'm not going for a 100-kill run so I'm trying not to kill innocents, just guards.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

i grinded Oboromaru to level 7 with Lost Spirits and did the lion’s share of that after I killed the ghost lady, maybe my game’s just not working right though

Oh I haven't tried going back to that room maybe they come back

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Are there any "must craft" items for prehistoric? I've got a quick spear and some armor for the girl that seems pretty good, just wondering what else I should make for my group.

The Fertility Charm (stone knife + hard rock) and Wildheart Sack (dried skins + leather strap) are very good. Fertility Charm is a reusable AoE heal with a buff (keep it in your inventory and use it like an item) and the Wildheart Sack is a super strong weapon for one of the party members.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I don't think I can beat the superbosses this run :negative: I missed out on the mimic mammet because of the trap and I just don't think there's enough EXP left in the castle for me to be able to level up enough to survive more than one or two hits without killing all the innocents, which I'd really prefer not to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ohhhh, there are two ghost rooms

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glagha posted:

I don't think grinding really helps that much anyway outside of making the fight shorter. For Lord Iwama I basically just took turns tanking and healing after his attacks while standing where he couldn't use whisker and interrupting the full screen attack. Oboro up front doing the most damage, takes a hit, steps back, prisoner takes his place, use an item after they've both been hit once, repeat until dead. this was at like level 11 or 12 I think and I was still getting two shot by the fish, so I think strategy is more important than raw stats but levels do give you more wiggle room and better attacks.

I just don't have enough healing items to outlast him at level 11. It's also kind of fiddly getting the Prisoner's turns to line up right so he can always interrupt Floodcall, and if I fail to interrupt it I just get erased. And if someone gets paralyzed I might as well just reset on the spot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glagha posted:

Sometimes it falls to Oboro to interrupt which is a DPR loss but it's better than dying. I dunno, seemed pretty safe when I did it but I just realized I had Muramasa when I did it so your mileage may vary lol

Edit: For Majin Ryunosuke to GET Muramasa I think I just got fuckin lucky. Turns lined up so I'd hit him with Oboro and Prisoner would rotate him so he'd have to waste time turning because he doesn't have any backward facing attacks and I literally just did that repeatedly until he was dead. I don't think I could repeat that on purpose and get the turns to line up perfectly.

Which of Oboro's moves can interrupt?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The fish is dead now

Thanks for the advice, I didn't realize Oboro could interrupt but that made a big difference

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I remember reading that Akira was a frustratingly weak character in the original, but playing through Near Future now he seems to have a pretty cool and varied set of abilities. Did he get buffed in the remake, or will he fall off hard at some point?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing that's been interesting about his scenario is the encounter design. It feels like they put extra effort into designing encounters to make you think about Akira and his party members' abilities and how to use them. A lot of them are "leader" encounters where the leader is vulnerable to something Akira can do but positioned just out of range of any of his damaging abilities with some hard-to-pass arrangement of robot minions in the way. Or the Commander-type enemies who hit really hard but are super resistant to anything your party members can do so you have to put Akira at risk to do real damage to them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glagha posted:

So I don't think they really buffed Akira or anything, but my theory is just the game is a lot more transparent about it's mechanics now so it's a lot easier to tell what the hell is doing to happen when you do stuff. The original game didn't tell you enemy weaknesses and resistances if they even existed in the game, and the move descriptions were very short, so from the point of view of someone offering the fan translation you just see a move that just says like "Mother Image: Vision of Mom" and you do it and it does like 10 damage to a group of enemies you could easily draw the conclusion that he sucks. In this game you can tell what moves are going to be effective against what enemies and get a ballpark description of how much damage and the status effects of a move so he's way easier to use effectively.

Yeah I think Akira's chapter would be really frustrating if I couldn't see enemy resistances. Even then, later in the chapter you start running into random grunts who are practically immune to Akira's abilities in general (they take 0 damage from something they resist and like 2 damage from everything else), which feels kinda weird, having a lot of random encounters where your main character's main skillset just stops working. I could definitely see this chapter really sucking if you also just didn't know what half of those abilities did in the first place.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

It kinda sucks about the dearth of female protagonists, but at least the remake devs felt the same way since Octopath is a 50/50 split and the girls there seem generally cooler than the guys.

Interestingly, none of the HD-2D games released so far have shared a dev team. Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy have the same director/producer and have a bit of overlap but otherwise they were made by different studios, as was the Live A Live remake (and presumably the upcoming Dragon Quest III remake). HD-2D isn't one studio's thing but just a new style that Square Enix is using for a bunch of games by different in-house and contracted studios.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looper posted:

the end credits have a special logo for hd-2d like it's an official engine or software or something

Yeah HD-2D has an official logo, which is interesting. All the HD-2D games are made in Unreal Engine so it's more like a shared style used in that engine I think, but yeah it has an official logo and stuff like that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lets hang out posted:

nintendo published it outside of japan so :shrug:

They also published Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default 2 outside of Japan and both of those ended up on PC, so it definitely doesn't rule anything out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Truxton posted:

Endgame character stuff:

Lei's the fastest character, gets access to everything from high-damage single-target attacks to crowd control with Wise Fox's Grace and Sacred Dragon's Tantrum (Don't neglect her Special Attack stat if you want the most out of these two!). Put her in the front of your party and you can potentially get the latter off before any enemy can even act.

I went with Lei as my main character for the final chapter and I'm glad I did. Sacred Dragon's Temper is insane, and even though Lei has the lowest special attack of the disciples (I think?) there's enough gear that boosts special attack in the final chapter, including her nunchucks, that she maxed it out anyway.

And as soon as Sundown learned Hurricane I quickly realized I wasn't ever taking him out of my party, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

According to the wiki, Sacred Dragon's Temper is Lei only. The other disciples also get unique late-game moves but I think Lei's the only one who gets a full-screen attack like that.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 8, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was expecting more to come of Rachel's brief psychotic break where she thinks Kirk's just asleep, then OD-10 impersonates him on the communicator. But that sorta got resolved quickly and easily and that was a little disappointing.

However I still liked the Far Future chapter a lot because Cube is very cute and cool and they are my friend.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Easy mode is starting with Lei as the Earthen Heart Master because even when the encounters get rougher she can still wipe 90% of them instantly with Sacred Dragon's Temper

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Even the inventory items? Cause I'd love those 500 HP AOE heal meats.

Yep, all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm pretty sure I got all my inventory items, too. Like I had Peach Buns in my inventory.