Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

i got a garbage costco 44" 4k tv to use as a monitor for like $180 and it rules. Sure the text rendering is awful, who cares, the characters are a half inch high.

i did this for a while but every time i looked to the top of the screen i did the 'ordering at a fast food place from a monitor up high that keeps moving poo poo around' face

Now - if you're playing the movie on a 27”@4k monitor front and center... You will never in a trillion years experience the film. You'll think you have experienced it. But you will be cheated. It's a - such as sadness, that you think you've seen a film on your loving 27”@4k monitor front and center. Get real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

AtomD posted:

Now - if you're playing the movie on a 27”@4k monitor front and center... You will never in a trillion years experience the film. You'll think you have experienced it. But you will be cheated. It's a - such as sadness, that you think you've seen a film on your loving 27”@4k monitor front and center. Get real.

i don’t watch movies on my computer screen. bing bong, so simple.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
can’t wait to punch out so I can stop looking at two ugly work screens and instead look at my single, beautiful ultrawide display

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

one high res and one 4k so i can get all the interesting windows glitches moving windows between them

My fave is when a window appears on a regular screen but somehow ends up scaled for my 4k screen

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

I for one think we should have more bread

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

i just baked a bread

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

agreed

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I have a single 49" ultrawide display, I like it. It's completely unnecessary to have this much screen

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i can't stand having more than one monitor tbh. widescreen have been great tho because i do side-by-side halfscreen windows on both personal and work computers. anything more visual design focused, illustrator, CAD, rendering, ppt, etc, gets full screen, and then i have all this beautiful room for all those beautiful tool panels

and occasionally i get real wild and have 1/4 screen windows with excel and notepad and stuff :smug:

i also use those separated windows desktop things and make a workspace for each project so I can focus on one at a time without getting as distracted by email and stuff, but in practice it's kinda just another layer of alt-tabbing.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I have my ultrawide set up and it is glorous

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

AtomD posted:

i did this for a while but every time i looked to the top of the screen i did the 'ordering at a fast food place from a monitor up high that keeps moving poo poo around' face

yeah mine is a lil higher than i'd like, maybe 3 inches or so, but its mostly ok

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

s3 is currently down for a lot of people lol
https://health.aws.amazon.com/health/status

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

3440x1440 seems like a pretty good resolution so far

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

3440x1440 seems like a pretty good resolution so far

it is pretty good for getting work done but I miss my 4k 27" for that sweet sweet hi dpi text

I would love a 4k DPI equivalent ultrawidescreen. apparently a 34" 3440*1440 monitor is about 110dpi, 4k 27" is about 160. so to get an UWS with equivalent DPI you'd need something in the area of 5000*2000. make it happen timb/dell

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
this is 140ppi

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-ultrasharp-40-curved-wuhd-monitor-u4021qw/apd/210-becu/monitors-monitor-accessories

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

looks really nice but that price, yeesh

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

a few decades ago I used to do annual trips to the ECTS trade show in London to visit various hardware vendors, try to blag new video cards for 'QA' purposes (e.g. beating the qa team at lunchtime quake sessions) and it was fun stuff. matrox, s3, 3dfx, ati and nvidia (ha, rubbish)... one year the nvidia guys were all excited and like 'guess what guys, hardware tnl', and they were right. it worked and it was good. it was the future. ati reps looked a bit sad but said they had stuff in the pipeline. matrox laughed and claimed it was a passing fad, the future was having multiple monitors at once! oh how we chuckled at them. anyway, s3. now s3 were a funny lot, i'll get to them. 3dfx - they were a stuck up bunch of asshats cos they currently had the no1 slot, the voodoo3 or something. they viewed nvidia suspiciously, and said 'wait til next year'. next year came and they revealed their grand plan - strap 4 voodoo4s together , and have each one render a frame and then blend them together and you have sort of antialiasing and motion blur, but no hardware tnl, a funny burning plastic smell, and an electric bill that foreshadowed the coming crypto craze by a decade. anyway s3... so most of the reps we met were a boring bunch of muppets with a couple of exceptions. ati and s3. thezse guys were young and liked to party, and literally had expense accounts to get devs drunk so they would maybe be disposed to implement CustomFunction for their cards. they listened to the devs pointing at the hardware tnl anmd saying 'do that guys'. only.. s3. you se, people didnt go out and buy an s3. not if they really had a choice. but s3 did supply the oem market with cheap kit, so you would often get an s3 whether you wanted one or not. and they were... ok. nothing flashy or top end, tho at this time it was many fish in a small pond fighting over hardcore pc gamers. yes, it smelt bad. anyway, roll on the year after. s3 guys are there looking a bit sad. we try to blag free hardware, they give us the sideye, then invite us to the hotels where they have bathtubs full of beer. classic distraction techniques. the new card looks good, but everyone looks sad, turns out they rushed the production of the chip, some designers quit, who knows, but the upshot is there was a hard crash in the tnl clipping and the cards were useless. they hosed up big style, and that was that. ati were the only other ones to add hardware tnl that year, and the rest is history.

E: Protip if you ever get sent to these sort of things. give your business card to each and every HW manufacturer like candy, and big up how you need to test stuff. Then you get loads of free gear turn up. thats not the trick - the trick is you immediately take them to tech support yourself, and with the right nudges and winks you make sure they get kitted out, get yourself the pick of the crop too, then you can team up against the poor QA boys on their s3s and intels.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 29, 2022

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i have a iiyama triple monitor stand, the middle is a dell 27” 4k and the sides are a pair of neumann powered nearfield monitor speakers hooked up with vesa adaptors

i believe this to be the future

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

OzyMandrill posted:

a few decades ago I used to do annual trips to the ECTS trade show in London to visit various hardware vendors, try to blag new video cards for 'QA' purposes (e.g. beating the qa team at lunchtime quake sessions) and it was fun stuff. matrox, s3, 3dfx, ati and nvidia (ha, rubbish)... one year the nvidia guys were all excited and like 'guess what guys, hardware tnl', and they were right. it worked and it was good. it was the future. ati reps looked a bit sad but said they had stuff in the pipeline. matrox laughed and claimed it was a passing fad, the future was having multiple monitors at once! oh how we chuckled at them. anyway, s3. now s3 were a funny lot, i'll get to them. 3dfx - they were a stuck up bunch of asshats cos they currently had the no1 slot, the voodoo3 or something. they viewed nvidia suspiciously, and said 'wait til next year'. next year came and they revealed their grand plan - strap 4 voodoo4s together , and have each one render a frame and then blend them together and you have sort of antialiasing and motion blur, but no hardware tnl, a funny burning plastic smell, and an electric bill that foreshadowed the coming crypto craze by a decade. anyway s3... so most of the reps we met were a boring bunch of muppets with a couple of exceptions. ati and s3. thezse guys were young and liked to party, and literally had expense accounts to get devs drunk so they would maybe be disposed to implement CustomFunction for their cards. they listened to the devs pointing at the hardware tnl anmd saying 'do that guys'. only.. s3. you se, people didnt go out and buy an s3. not if they really had a choice. but s3 did supply the oem market with cheap kit, so you would often get an s3 whether you wanted one or not. and they were... ok. nothing flashy or top end, tho at this time it was many fish in a small pond fighting over hardcore pc gamers. yes, it smelt bad. anyway, roll on the year after. s3 guys are there looking a bit sad. we try to blag free hardware, they give us the sideye, then invite us to the hotels where they have bathtubs full of beer. classic distraction techniques. the new card looks good, but everyone looks sad, turns out they rushed the production of the chip, some designers quit, who knows, but the upshot is there was a hard crash in the tnl clipping and the cards were useless. they hosed up big style, and that was that. ati were the only other ones to add hardware tnl that year, and the rest is history.

E: Protip if you ever get sent to these sort of things. give your business card to each and every HW manufacturer like candy, and big up how you need to test stuff. Then you get loads of free gear turn up. thats not the trick - the trick is you immediately take them to tech support yourself, and with the right nudges and winks you make sure they get kitted out, get yourself the pick of the crop too, then you can team up against the poor QA boys on their s3s and intels.

didn’t read

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I read the whole thing. cool story

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Silver Alicorn posted:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
tried to read it but couldn't go past the first book

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

amd/ati always has cash to spend on dumb stuff like that. one year for e3 they rented out a japanese bar and a pal and i sat and drank ridiculously expensive sake with the president of id and dave grohl

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gentle Autist posted:

it is pretty good for getting work done but I miss my 4k 27" for that sweet sweet hi dpi text

I would love a 4k DPI equivalent ultrawidescreen. apparently a 34" 3440*1440 monitor is about 110dpi, 4k 27" is about 160. so to get an UWS with equivalent DPI you'd need something in the area of 5000*2000. make it happen timb/dell

agree. I check every six months for this but so far no dice

e: oh poo poo n/m that one linked above looks legit even though it’s in CAD or some weird unit
now I just need to figure out if my monitor arm would work with it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
32" 4k and i read the forums at 125% zoom

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Smythe posted:

zoom crew

one weird trick to reduce eye strain

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

I was looking at the 49"ers but they don't have gamer level performance at the resolution I wanted, plus I have a small desk

*~GaMeR LeVeL pErFoRmAnCE~* itt

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Smythe posted:

150% 🤝

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Poopernickel posted:

I'm mostly doing it as a bit idk

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

idk the monitor I got claims a 1ms response time which sounds like a good thing, it's also 144hz, not that I can deliver that framerate all the time with my video card but it looks nice with adaptive sync

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I have a single 4k DellU2720Q with 150% zoom for my desktop stuff (mostly poo poo posting) It's great. I sometimes consider a different monitor, but there isn't really anything I dislike about my setup. When I watch movies, I use my Intel NUC connected to a 55" 4K OLED.

I haven't played an FPS in a longtime, but I'll sometimes boot up TF2 and cringe at my scout performance, so I'll go Medic or Demoman if I want to win, Doom2016 was good, and Doom Eternal was worth playing through, but wasn't as good as 2016, imo.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Poopernickel posted:

i only buy the finest and if it has any sort of latency in the display thats a no from me dog.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i use a single 34" ultrawide and with tiling its perfect.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

i think this is my second monitor in the office. it's really nice, but too big for home use imo

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I've got a pair of ASUS PA248QV (24" 16:10) monitors as my daily driver. They work great.

Can't say I've ever noticed or cared about the response time v:what:v

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 5, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

graph posted:

i think this is my second monitor in the office. it's really nice, but too big for home use imo

i agree that monitors like tvs have grown crazy large over the last few years but do you just stick to one or two 24-inch monitors at home? no judge obvs, just curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
turn on your montirk