Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RhettVX
Jul 24, 2022
I am a game preservationist trying to archive an early version of PlanetSide 2 from mid-June 2012 that was passed around and discussed on this forum. It is said to be the E3 version of the game that could be installed by modifying the launcher from DC Universe Online. This version of the game would contain early content and continent assets that were scrapped before the real beta was available. I've discussed this with a member from this forum who was around when this happened but they have been unable to find the related threads, and I've found remnants of discussion on the PS2 subreddit and on youtube uploads of music that was ripped from this specific version. This version of the game is the last important backup I need to preserve the early days of PlanetSide 2. If you have any additional info on where to find this backup, you were around to download it, you know someone who was around to download it and you have a hard-drive backup, a copy of this version of the game before it was removed, an old pc that still has it installed please get in touch with me. I will provide a place to upload the files. You can contact me here or through my email for this project: ps-preservation@proton.me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

what do you mean preserve?

RhettVX
Jul 24, 2022
This version of the game includes heaps of early content that I've not found in any other beta client. There are early map renders, unfinished versions of the in-game music (which was extracted from the game by whichever group had it downloaded and uploaded to youtube), according to the player I talked about there is a very unfinished prototype of an entire game world that has since been canceled and has never been seen again. I am working to document and showcase lost content from this game, and I've gotten pretty far, but there are some things that could only be in this client such as the prototype lava world, missing textures for unique gun models that were replaced with cookie-cutter models, early overview maps of the game worlds the game did get. My long term goal is to rig up these beta clients so they can be walked through offline so long-time players can re-experience the unique way the game looked back then, and I'd love to get the prototype lava world running so the SA member I talked with can see it again.

RhettVX fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 25, 2022

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
what

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
:filez:

RhettVX
Jul 24, 2022
It's a long shot, but people keep pointing me to this forum as the place where this version of the game was discovered and discussed. I only need to find one person who downloaded this version of the game a decade ago and never bothered to delete it.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Higby gave us a few hundred SOE-bucks for helping diagnose this years back but I didn't keep it installed and I can't imagine anyone else did. I'll reach out to the one other person I know who downloaded it but I figure there's basically 0% chance they still have it

Phoix fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 27, 2022

RhettVX
Jul 24, 2022
I appreciate it. Do you remember if any of the people who ripped music and other info out of that build re-hosted the download anywhere? I imagine any re-hosted downloads are long gone by now, but any fraction of a percent chance of archiving this thing is what I'm after.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

That's wild, hope you find it. Have you done this with any other games?

RhettVX
Jul 24, 2022
I've helped out the group working on the PlanetSide 1 server emulator with some archival and recently I became fascinated with the Chinese PlanetSide "clone" called Welkin 4591/Mars War https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJyY2vdQ3PE. I've archived a pile of different chinese and english clients for that game and some fan-made english localizations, but I've only had the time to get a surface level look at the game files. Aside from those 2 games I'm focused on PlanetSide 2 and other games that use the same engine, Forgelight, such as EverQuest Landmark and H1Z1.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Man, I miss Mars Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RhettVX
Jul 24, 2022
Small update on preservation progress. I still don't have the build of the game I'm after, but I do have an early July 2012 build that has a prototype of Esamir left in (In-game screenshots here: https://imgur.com/a/6iAhLH7). The rate of finding earlier builds has slowed significantly. I'm running low on hope of getting this early June version archived, and running low on ideas for how to find it if anyone even has it anywhere still. On the topic of Mars War, I have been able to archive all sorts of stuff from it, and I still do want to get that game running again, but I just have too much going on to spend time on it right now. I haven't given up on this PS2 build yet so if anyone knows anything that could help me get closer, I would appreciate you reaching out. Thanks.