Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I simply don't enjoy being in the presence of anyone who patronizes a Walton establishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’d rather find my mother working in a whorehouse than a Sams club.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tiny Timbs posted:

I simply don't enjoy being in the presence of anyone

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

bird with big dick posted:

I’d rather find my mother working in a whorehouse than a Sams club.

I get the confusion, but BJs is actually a warehouse

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tiny Timbs posted:

I simply don't enjoy being in the presence of anyone who patronizes a Walton establishment

I mentioned it in the VR thread but Wal-Mart didn't honor their extended holiday returns even though I followed it to the letter, so I documented it all in a chargeback claim and I got word the other day that the refund is finalized in my favor. Got to keep the Quest 3 that Mr. Walton bought me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

congrats. gently caress'em

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Apprentice Dick posted:

I will never trust the Walton family to sell me a quality hot dog.

On another note, are any of the upright vacuums at Costco worth the money? My Bissell finally poo poo the bed yesterday after 7 years and I want to make sure I'm buying something worth a $200+ price tag

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

There's a reason it's cheap

The hot dog?

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I have a Shark Navigator from Costco and I love it. It advertised no hair wrapping around its main beater brush and it is really true. I have a shorthair cat who seemingly buds off an entire new cat in fur each week and it doesn’t get clogged by her, either. It has a bunch of configurations and all of them have worked well for me. It’s a bagless with washable foam filter, though, so if you have crazy allergies and need a HEPA ymmv.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

:fuckoff:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

It's not even a flex because you can get the Costco Membership for effectively the same price.

I got this last year: https://lifehacker.com/this-costco-membership-comes-with-a-45-gift-card-and-1850692844

$45 Costco gift card and $40 off a $250 Costco.com order, with purchase of the $60 membership. Basically I bounce back and forth between my boyfriend getting it and giving me the 2nd person household card, and other way around, so we're always a "new member" who can use the offers, and they seem to roll around the same time each year.

Anyway, there's one up right now for $40 card with $60 membership: https://www.stacksocial.com/sales/costco-1-year-gold-star-membership-a-40-digital-costco-shop-card

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sometimes it’s nice to have choice though

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

Sometimes it’s nice to have choice though

The choice between the glourious Signature of Kirkland, or "Go ahead and drop trou and spray liquid diarrhea on the walls, we don't mind it's Wally World lol"

edit: Six Costcos in MA and no Sam's Club, their kind isn't welcome here

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 16, 2024

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I have both because a friend of mine got a very cheap Sam's membership with a 2nd's membership attached and we take monthly trips over there together. It's fine, it has better selection of name-brand variety chip packs than Costco sometimes. Is Costco my preference? Yeah. But Sam's is alright if you get a cheap membership.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

where the gently caress are the mods

restore order immediately

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You should always buy cakes at Sam's. I don't want to make them

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think you guys are missing the point. Costco isn't better than Sam's because of selection or price or whatever.

It's a loving moral issue. The Walton family are absolutely horrible and are a massive driver of keeping wages low across the board.

Years ago my sister worked at Walmart and they made sure to give her 39.5 hours a week for very obvious reasons.

They can burn in loving hell.

quick edit: all capitalism bad blah blah

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

drat i guess i'm not buying olive oil, kind of shocked how high the price is now

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I think you guys are missing the point. Costco isn't better than Sam's because of selection or price or whatever.

It's a loving moral issue. The Walton family are absolutely horrible and are a massive driver of keeping wages low across the board.

Years ago my sister worked at Walmart and they made sure to give her 39.5 hours a week for very obvious reasons.

They can burn in loving hell.

no it's better because of the hot dog

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Costco prefers quality over quantity.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My Costco is 30 minutes away and Sam's is 5.

I wish Costco would open up a facility on this side of town, but I do have to say I think their hotdog tastes better. No troll.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Martman posted:

no it's better because of the hot dog

:hmmyes: That too.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I mentioned it in the VR thread but Wal-Mart didn't honor their extended holiday returns even though I followed it to the letter, so I documented it all in a chargeback claim and I got word the other day that the refund is finalized in my favor. Got to keep the Quest 3 that Mr. Walton bought me.

Where is the VR thread? I was looking for one after I got a quest 3 but couldn't find one anywhere

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

drat i guess i'm not buying olive oil, kind of shocked how high the price is now

poo poo, now what am I gonna use for lube? Corn oil like some kind of peasant?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

seth pecksniff has informed me via PM that the next goon to praise sams club in this thread will earn a permaban

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I’ve never eaten a hot dog

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

pencilhands posted:

seth pecksniff has informed me via PM that the next goon to praise sams club in this thread will earn a permaban

ive never been to sams club but its probably not that bad

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

schreibs posted:

ive never been to sams club but its probably not that bad

It's fine. The only problem is that the Walton's own it and they are garbage humans.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Picked up all the wine for my wedding at Costco yesterday.

Did not get a hot dog.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
finally running out of the costco plastic wrap roll that i feel like we have had for pushing a decade. got a new 2 pack. heres to another 20 yrs

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

thathonkey posted:

finally running out of the costco plastic wrap roll that i feel like we have had for pushing a decade. got a new 2 pack. heres to another 20 yrs

I seriously bought one pack like 10+ years ago and I feel like I absolutely havent made a dent. I even gave the other roll to someone else or split the cost or something at the time. It basically only gets used for proofing baguettes though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

One purchase of parchment paper (a 2-pack) will likely last longer than my own lifespan.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

large hands posted:

Where is the VR thread? I was looking for one after I got a quest 3 but couldn't find one anywhere

Op is outta date but posts are up to date:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901021

I've been doing a thing there where if you got the Quest 3 and use my referral, I'll gift up to the entirety the referral bonus as games back to you. I usually get people a copy of Virtual Desktop so you can stream PCVR games and movies to it. If you already activated the headset recently but didn't use anyone's referral, it's possible to reset it and try again, PM me if so.

Costco has always had some tenets that sets it above other capitalism:

- The median Costco worker earns like double the median Walmart worker

- Has/had some (never confirmed) rule about never marking any product up above like 5% of wholesale or something, but I've never found any written proof other than hearsay in reporting

- The founder paid himself less than like all the other top CEOs at the time, still a lot but way less than most

- $1.50 hotdog, $1.99 slice, $5.00 rotisserie chicken

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Wendigee posted:

It's fine. The only problem is that the Walton's own it and they are garbage humans.

It's good one exists to keep the other competitive.

I maybe wouldn't have mobile phone barcode scan shopping in the store, mobile ordering for the cafe, and discounts on Plus memberships if Sam's didn't have a competitor. I went to it because my health plan gave the membership for free, but the reason most goons dislike it is probably what keeps me coming back: it's basically a warehouse add-on to the Walmart+ membership that I've already had for three years.

For all the labor issues, the benefit of Sam's is the amount of technology replacing labor entirely. Costco's web site can't even tell me what's in my local store.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

For all the labor issues, the benefit of Sam's is the amount of technology replacing labor entirely. Costco's web site can't even tell me what's in my local store.

I'll take the poo poo website over the Wal-Mart that I just went to where it was 100% self-checkout.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Zero VGS posted:

I'll take the poo poo website over the Wal-Mart that I just went to where it was 100% self-checkout.

Do you grab boxes while you shop at Costco to pack your things into? Because the way I handle Walmart is I take my own bags, and akin to a warehouse club how you'd go to Costco and arrange stuff in boxes while shopping, I'm scanning barcodes with my phone while bagging them right there, and then with mobile checkout I just scan a QR code I'm out. If I have to use cash or coupons or EBT, I can have the mobile cart transferred to the self checkout thing.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 16, 2024

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
I worked at Sam's Club as a teenager (loving forever ago) and it was awful and I assume just as bad as working at walmart itself tho probs with slightly better pay, had to do the corporate team building bullshit every shift start and ugh. I started as night stock and they let my dumb 18 year old rear end drive the forklift while having zero training or any idea what I was doing, I'm amazed I never killed myself/someone else. I then switched to working the cigarette cage where i sold cartons to Chaldean who owned liquor stores/gas stations and just listened to my radio and smoked weed all day and that was pretty sweet. I never shopped at any walmart anything after that point.

I can get a free Sam's Club membership via work but still pay for my Costco card every year instead.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

Do you grab boxes while you shop at Costco to pack your things into? Because the way I handle Walmart is I take my own bags, and akin to a warehouse club how you'd go to Costco and arrange stuff in boxes while shopping, I'm scanning barcodes with my phone while bagging them right there, and then with mobile checkout I just scan a QR code I'm out. If I have to use cash or coupons or EBT, I can have the mobile cart transferred to the self checkout thing.

I'm not gonna do all that lol

If I go to Walmart it's only for like 1 or 2 things, that trip all I got was some of their $9 room darkening blinds so I can recreate that comic with the goon that hates fireworks. Also I like the Walmart brand popcorn more than the Costco popcorn because Costco is so generous with the butter that it sublimates out of the bag while microwaving and coats the microwave floor in butter.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

What reasons? That’s full time employment. Overtime isn’t a right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's not a Walmart specific problem. Every part time job I've had that in my life had done that, and it's still done that way everywhere.