Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

Borscht posted:

What reasons? That’s full time employment. Overtime isn’t a right.

Full time employment tends to mean a full 40 hours a week, while 39.5 hours a week lets them claim you're part time. Depending on the job and where you are, this can alter your eligibility for benefits including health/dental insurance, days of paid time off, sick days, maternity/paternity leave and also your wages may be different if you're part-time or full-time. Overtime would only apply to any work done after more than 40 hours in many areas, so 39.5 hours being a problem has nothing to do with overtime and everything to do with... everything else, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The problem is the customers, for every job. Because people suck.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Renegret posted:

It's not a Walmart specific problem. Every part time job I've had that in my life had done that, and it's still done that way everywhere.

Yeah all retail work plays the same game with full time vs part time

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Borscht posted:

What reasons? That’s full time employment. Overtime isn’t a right.

are you really this stupid or is this a bit

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Even the Boy Scouts did the 39.5 hours thing when I worked full time for their retail store. It sucks and reeks of labor loopholes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it should be a general principle that there should not be huge nonlinearities in adversarial laws

you can measure how nonlinear a nonlinearity is by how much it diverges from f(ax + b) = a * f(x) + f(b), and putting if-statements in there is the most nonlinear nonlinearity. if you need some nonlinearity, you put a sigmoid in because if statement is sigmoid taken to the limit

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The best part of the 39 hour thing is watching your management squirm as you edge closer and closer to the 40 hour mark but don't give you the staff to relieve your position. This is how many people get conned into working for free but thankfully I never worked for a place that would even suggest it.

Black Friday was excellent for this. Oh because of labor you can't go over 40 hours for the entire week which is your normal schedule anyway, but also everyone's scheduled for 16 hours on Friday so now there's fewer hours for the rest of the week that also includes an insane amount of set up and tear down in prep work, as well as the busiest weekend of the entire year. Overtime? Absolutely not, we can't afford it during our record $2million gross week.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 16, 2024

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Curtana posted:

Full time employment tends to mean a full 40 hours a week, while 39.5 hours a week lets them claim you're part time. Depending on the job and where you are, this can alter your eligibility for benefits including health/dental insurance, days of paid time off, sick days, maternity/paternity leave and also your wages may be different if you're part-time or full-time. Overtime would only apply to any work done after more than 40 hours in many areas, so 39.5 hours being a problem has nothing to do with overtime and everything to do with... everything else, lol.

'Full time' actually starts at 30 under the ACA rules, which covers insurance eligibility. Otherwise companies can set their benefits plan at whatever they want for optional benefits. And a lot of states stick their own rules in. The real scumbag manager classic is 25 hours a week with on demand scheduling, which makes it impossible to work a second part time job.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
It really depends on the state and the org. Here in NC, you can employ someone 40 hours and still have them be part time as their DOL status. The 39.5 thing seems like just a way to avoid OT per company policy. Pretty sure the other states I’ve worked in have been the same. What jurisdiction are you talking about? It just seems weird.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Good article from WSJ on Costco's CFO retiring. It gets into the corporate culture and pricing model, pretty interesting.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/from-cubicle-to-corporate-icon-costco-finance-chief-ends-40-year-run-52e986d1

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Barrel Cactaur posted:

'Full time' actually starts at 30 under the ACA rules, which covers insurance eligibility. Otherwise companies can set their benefits plan at whatever they want for optional benefits. And a lot of states stick their own rules in. The real scumbag manager classic is 25 hours a week with on demand scheduling, which makes it impossible to work a second part time job.

Actually yeah, thinking about it the Boy Scouts eventually cut all the full timers down to 32 because that was the minimum they could give us and still classify us as full time. Needless to say I left not long after that decision, and so did my manager and some other full time staff after me.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

tumblr hype man posted:

Picked up all the wine for my wedding at Costco yesterday.

Did not get a hot dog.

How are Costco weddings? Well catered I imagine.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

CzarChasm posted:

“With this ¼ POUND PLUS ALL BEEF HOT DOG AND 20 oz. SODA (With Refill), I thee wed.”

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Zero VGS posted:

The choice between the glourious Signature of Kirkland, or "Go ahead and drop trou and spray liquid diarrhea on the walls, we don't mind it's Wally World lol"

edit: Six Costcos in MA and no Sam's Club, their kind isn't welcome here

There are BJs aplenty instead, mixed in between each church

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Good article from WSJ on Costco's CFO retiring. It gets into the corporate culture and pricing model, pretty interesting.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/from-cubicle-to-corporate-icon-costco-finance-chief-ends-40-year-run-52e986d1

Great article, also 👀

quote:

[outgoing CFO] Galanti expects the price tag of the famed $1.50 hot dog and soda combo, which has stayed the same since 1985, to remain even under the new CFO.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

tumblr hype man posted:

Picked up all the wine for my wedding at Costco yesterday.

Did not get a hot dog.

I bought all of the liquor for my wedding from Costco ($400ish). Pretty sure the manager said I could return unopened bottles but I thankfully bought just the right amount. Worked out great.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

thathonkey posted:

finally running out of the costco plastic wrap roll that i feel like we have had for pushing a decade. got a new 2 pack. heres to another 20 yrs

I bought a box of regular envelopes probably 20+ years ago when I needed to file taxes.

I'm fairly certain at least half of them will still be there by the time I kick the bucket.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Curtana posted:

Full time employment tends to mean a full 40 hours a week, while 39.5 hours a week lets them claim you're part time. (...) this can alter your eligibility for benefits including health

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/employers/identifying-full-time-employees

The IRS posted:

For purposes of the employer shared responsibility provisions, a full-time employee is, for a calendar month, an employee employed on average at least 30 hours of service per week, or 130 hours of service per month.
I've only ever applied to work at one big huge multinational corporation that set hours for me, and they gave health benefits and the like at 30 hours, including part-timers who regularly worked extra hours to hit 30 hours. Nobody will let you work over 40 hours without approval from management because nobody wants to pay out 1.5x when they could pay a different person 1x to work for that hour.

For what it's worth, this big huge corporation has very few people at this workplace working 40 hours at all, including people with full benefits usually working like 35.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 16, 2024

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Craptacular! posted:

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/employers/identifying-full-time-employees

I've only ever applied to work at one big huge multinational corporation that set hours for me, and they gave health benefits and the like at 30 hours, including part-timers who regularly worked extra hours to hit 30 hours. Nobody will let you work over 40 hours without approval from management because nobody wants to pay out 1.5x when they could pay a different person 1x to work for that hour.

For what it's worth, this big huge corporation has very few people at this workplace working 40 hours at all, including people with full benefits usually working like 35.

Fun fact: The #1 biggest theft in the United States by a large margin is wage theft!

It's in the billions. :ssh:

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

CzarChasm posted:

gently caress, this would be so much cheaper.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
….could you have your wedding IN costco?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

pencilhands posted:

….could you have your wedding IN costco?

Somewhere in this thread someone posted some inside Costco wedding photos.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

This is the t-shirt I want.

https://twitter.com/aohelll/status/1780415178003091885?t=QfBjHoQyDz_VI56LRfYMog&s=19

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2_jsGOrD5l/?igsh=OWNhcmY4c3FmcmZr

King.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

the only v tube I want from costco is a V shaped bun holding a tube shaped hot dog for $1.50 with a soda PLUS REFILL

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Some companies are still trying to do the corporate mascot vtuber right? Kellog tried to do a Tony the Tiger and found out it that the main appeal for him was sex crazed furries before they gave up.

Not sure what the anthropomorphized version of Costco would be.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

pentyne posted:

Some companies are still trying to do the corporate mascot vtuber right? Kellog tried to do a Tony the Tiger and found out it that the main appeal for him was sex crazed furries before they gave up.

Not sure what the anthropomorphized version of Costco would be.

I mean, it's a hotdog, duh

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Raku posted:

I mean, it's a hotdog, duh

a giant hotdog on a flatbed cart

bluespectre
Oct 2, 2021
https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Cooking-Costco-Way-Delicious/dp/0981900321
This was $3 at my local goodwill. Seems to mostly be pretty okay recipes, and also inexplicably lazy poo poo like a "recipe" that's just "Buy a chocolate cake from the costco and crumble oreos on a slice. Not the entire cake, just the one slice."

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Well you gotta save the rest of the cake for other recipes like “drizzle Bitchin Sauce on a slice”

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

big line at the pharmacy today costco, do better. I don't like seeing a grown man (me) crying in the pharmacy line because you wont give him his pain meds quickly.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Oxycostcontin

Blackmore
Dec 28, 2012

Catch the Rainbow

This is really cute. … Ack! No!! I’m being sucked in!!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Blackmore posted:

This is really cute. … Ack! No!! I’m being sucked in!!

To be a vtuber thing you need an animated mascot for the streamer to map their facial expression to. This is the least cursed example I could find:

Chronojam posted:

There are BJs aplenty instead, mixed in between each church

My brother prefers BJ's actually, he said they have a way larger snack/candy variety. Although, I was about to use sour candy straws as an example, but Costco had 3 flavors of Sour Punch straws on the website, and BJ's only had sour patch kids. So Costco wins in that instance.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 18, 2024

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’m addicted to the sweet potato chips, help

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

I love Costco but today an employee confirmed they have stopped carrying the powdered PB and I'm also currently on hour 3 of waiting for my car to be finished at a scheduled seasonal tire rotation. Feels bad when your lover betrays you like this.

I really am curious how the tire center is managed because they always seem behind and deeply stressed.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
It really sucks that there is such a variance between Costco tire centers because once again I brought them 4 loose wheels and they installed my tires on them no problem, chill, chatted about what they were going on, just a nice, pleasant group.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

KakerMix posted:

It really sucks that there is such a variance between Costco tire centers because once again I brought them 4 loose wheels and they installed my tires on them no problem, chill, chatted about what they were going on, just a nice, pleasant group.

I wonder if there's a big regional difference if you live somewhere that needs seasonal tire changes vs not. Like getting an appointment at discount tire here to get your tire changes to snow tires and off is a multi week wait usually so i doubt costco would just be like yeah sure.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I'm in one of those places, though, and the line is 'either the ones coming off or the ones going on are ones we sell, right?'

Two months to get in there on a Monday at noon, but it feels like it works the other way and seasonal swaps means they have to chill out because just too many people found a deal on snows somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

bluespectre posted:

crumble oreos on a slice. Not the entire cake, just the one slice."

coward poo poo