Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Wait…

These are really great. Recommend.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

bluespectre posted:

also inexplicably lazy poo poo like a "recipe" that's just "Buy a chocolate cake from the costco and crumble oreos on a slice. Not the entire cake, just the one slice."

Like a animal

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Off the floor you piece of poo poo

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I bought tires during the recent Michelin sale and it was a week wait to get them installed and everything was on time and about as pleasant as the average interaction in Boston :v: (everett location specifically for bosgoons)

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I bought tires during the recent Michelin sale and it was a week wait to get them installed and everything was on time and about as pleasant as the average interaction in Boston :v: (everett location specifically for bosgoons)

Boston Costcos are a little bit worse than your average Costco but so is everything else in Boston. At least the Everett location has decent parking, even if the single road in is a nightmare on the weekends.

Dedham Costco parking is horrible and the Avon Costco checkout line is across the entire store and backs up into the seafood department on the weekends.

Still worth it for me to drive the 35 minutes and brave the crowds rather than going to loving Stop and Shop, which is essentially a Kroger that's more expensive than Whole Foods.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

bluespectre posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Cooking-Costco-Way-Delicious/dp/0981900321
This was $3 at my local goodwill. Seems to mostly be pretty okay recipes, and also inexplicably lazy poo poo like a "recipe" that's just "Buy a chocolate cake from the costco and crumble oreos on a slice. Not the entire cake, just the one slice."

It was iirc a free handout at the door 5-10 years ago

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Whooping Crabs posted:

Boston Costcos are a little bit worse than your average Costco but so is everything else in Boston.

http://youfuckedwiththewrong.city/

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Whooping Crabs posted:

Boston Costcos are a little bit worse than your average Costco but so is everything else in Boston. At least the Everett location has decent parking, even if the single road in is a nightmare on the weekends.

The craziest part about the traffic backup getting out of the Everett Costco is that, for some reason, it makes people want to try and save like 30 seconds by driving really fast in the parking lot until they get to the jam. People fly like 40mph across the parking lot lanes to get to the massive clusterfuck faster.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Double posting to say that I finally got tuna steaks at Costco yesterday for the first time in probably a year. Grabbed some ripe mangos and avocados and had poke bowl dinner for the whole crew.

I sorely miss the best deal and biggest treat in town, which is when Costco used to sell like four pounds of pre-marinated beef bulgogi.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

My mother-in-law and her husband were given a 75" TV when they got some HVAC work done. While they do need a new TV, that’s way too fuckin’ big for them. It’s got Costco stuff on it and it’s totally unopened. So I found them an online only deal for a midrange 55" that’s about the same price as the entry-level 75".

They said they went to the return desk but were told they need a receipt. That’s all the info I was given so I’m not sure if maybe they explained the situation badly. Is there some way they could return it, like maybe if they actually brought it with them so the store could see it was still sealed? Or will we just have to sell it on Facebook Marketplace?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

runchild posted:

My mother-in-law and her husband were given a 75" TV when they got some HVAC work done. While they do need a new TV, that’s way too fuckin’ big for them. It’s got Costco stuff on it and it’s totally unopened. So I found them an online only deal for a midrange 55" that’s about the same price as the entry-level 75".

They said they went to the return desk but were told they need a receipt. That’s all the info I was given so I’m not sure if maybe they explained the situation badly. Is there some way they could return it, like maybe if they actually brought it with them so the store could see it was still sealed? Or will we just have to sell it on Facebook Marketplace?

I've had them give me a gift card for returning unopened diapers that were gifted to us without a receipt but that's a far cry from a 75" TV

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Hey I thought we were getting chickens in polybags? I went today and they still just had the normal chicken clamshells.

jisforjosh posted:

I've had them give me a gift card for returning unopened diapers that were gifted to us without a receipt but that's a far cry from a 75" TV

There's a lot of stuff they'll do when you've dragged in some huge thing and you're smiling in front of them. If some old people drag the TV in with Costco stickers all over it I bet they'll gift-card it instead of sending them dragging it back out. That's their best chance anyway, so might as well try.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Hey I thought we were getting chickens in polybags? I went today and they still just had the normal chicken clamshells.

Some locations have switched. It might depend on how many clamshells they have left to use.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
My Costco switched to $4.99 Bag o’ CHX (no refill) last week. No complaints here.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

I love that Keytar Bear is included. One thing I really miss about working in the city.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Hutla posted:

I have a Shark Navigator from Costco and I love it. It advertised no hair wrapping around its main beater brush and it is really true. I have a shorthair cat who seemingly buds off an entire new cat in fur each week and it doesn’t get clogged by her, either. It has a bunch of configurations and all of them have worked well for me. It’s a bagless with washable foam filter, though, so if you have crazy allergies and need a HEPA ymmv.

This is from a couple pages back but THANK YOU I didn't realize how lovely my old vacuum was until I bought this and I'm embarrassed to say I had to empty the dust bin halfway through the vacuuming, and it was full again when I was done. Worth the price tag indeed.

Going to throw more money at Costco tomorrow too.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

fischtick posted:

My Costco switched to $4.99 Bag o’ CHX (no refill) last week. No complaints here.

Yeah I was keen to the idea because one of the clamshells was tipped in my car and I have been procrastinating with cleaning the rancid chicken gelatin because I have a shitbox and that seems like it's gonna be a pain in the rear end to like drag out a carpet cleaner for.

I made sure to put this clamshell in a box and buckle it in so I didn't add to the mess.

dinahmoe posted:

I love that Keytar Bear is included. One thing I really miss about working in the city.

I added him to that picture myself, a national treasure :)

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Whooping Crabs posted:

Still worth it for me to drive the 35 minutes and brave the crowds rather than going to loving Stop and Shop, which is essentially a Kroger that's more expensive than Whole Foods.

Is that some kind of weird boston quirk? ive never been to a stop and shop that was even close to the price of whole foods before

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Some locations have switched. It might depend on how many clamshells they have left to use.

This is exactly the case. At my Costco they still have a lot of the clamshells so they won't be switching anytime soon.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

pencilhands posted:

Is that some kind of weird boston quirk? ive never been to a stop and shop that was even close to the price of whole foods before

Closer to Boston, Stop and Shop has always been quite bad at pricing, my parents always told me not to go there. It's turbo-union, and my friend worked in that union as cart return guy, and there was a rule where they had to keep giving him a certain raise each year, until there was a point where he was making more than managers to push carts around, and everyone else resented him for it. But he technically didn't do anything wrong for the union for write him up for, so they straight bullied and harassed him every day into quitting. I think about him making more in 2002 than most people make now, to push carts, and the prices reflecting that, lol

Contrast that with Market Basket with like, the only CEO in history who treats workers so well they all rioted when the board tried to fire him (myself included). That's a damned miracle. And their prices are the Best. In fact MB prices are pretty much all better than Costco, except their rotisserie chicken which while 50c less is noticeably smaller than Costco. I'm like half MB half Costco and gently caress all the rest. MB is like, I'm only one person and I need some produce in amounts I can actually finish before they perish. Anything that doesn't expire, obviously Costco.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

pencilhands posted:

I can't really say because I've never been to a stop n shop outside of the Boston area, but at the stores I've been to it's been convenience store level price gouging - $14 digorino pizzas, $5 half gallon of milk, $4.50 for a 3.5 oz bag of chips near the cash registers. Not everything is priced that poorly but it's not good.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Huh, my local stop and shop in Malden center isn't that gougey, although I only stop by when I need something that day that's not available at one of the smaller Asian or Middle Eastern markets in walking distance, otherwise I drive to Costco/Trader Joe's/a bigger Asian market. I'm too much of a coward to brave the Chelsea market basket but I guess the proliferation of nearby markets keeps stop and shop honest :v:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I'm too much of a coward to brave the Chelsea market basket

It's fine if you don't go at peak hours. I'd still wear a mask though. Chelsea has the distinction of #1 GOAT in the entire country for COVID

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Contrast that with Market Basket with like, the only CEO in history who treats workers so well they all rioted when the board tried to fire him (myself included). That's a damned miracle. And their prices are the Best. In fact MB prices are pretty much all better than Costco, except their rotisserie chicken which while 50c less is noticeably smaller than Costco. I'm like half MB half Costco and gently caress all the rest. MB is like, I'm only one person and I need some produce in amounts I can actually finish before they perish. Anything that doesn't expire, obviously Costco.

Market Basket rules

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Huh, my local stop and shop in Malden center isn't that gougey, although I only stop by when I need something that day that's not available at one of the smaller Asian or Middle Eastern markets in walking distance, otherwise I drive to Costco/Trader Joe's/a bigger Asian market. I'm too much of a coward to brave the Chelsea market basket but I guess the proliferation of nearby markets keeps stop and shop honest :v:

The one's I've been to have been in South Boston, Dorchester, and in Quincy. At the first two there are zero other options besides bodegas and corner stores nearby, which probably accounts for the price differences a bit more.

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 20, 2024

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
There's one other bargain besides MB and Costco.... Haymarket. Those vendors are loving cutthroat and you can haggle them down if they're packing it up for the day. Got cauliflower as big as my head for $2, cartons of strawberries $1 each, they don't give a poo poo it's crazy.

Even in this photo you can see the $1 strawberries:

Oh, and the Super 88 if you need Asian stuff, but Costco carries a ton of that stuff due to demographic overlap. Costco just doesn't have the bulk bags of chicken testes, chicken feet and hot pot fixins like Super 88.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 20, 2024

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

Zero VGS posted:

There's one other bargain besides MB and Costco.... Haymarket. Those vendors are loving cutthroat and you can haggle them down if they're packing it up for the day. Got cauliflower as big as my head for $2, cartons of strawberries $1 each, they don't give a poo poo it's crazy.

Even in this photo you can see the $1 strawberries:

Oh, and the Super 88 if you need Asian stuff, but Costco carries a ton of that stuff due to demographic overlap. Costco just doesn't have the bulk bags of chicken testes, chicken feet and hot pot fixins like Super 88.

The suburban mind cannot comprehend this

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Airconswitch posted:

The suburban mind cannot comprehend this

I live in a heavily gentrified city and at my local sunday farmers market, $1 strawberries means $1 per strawberry.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Chelsea MB is the best grocery store I’ve ever been to. Gotta be ready to rumble at peak hours though it’s true.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

The actual closest supermarket to me is a 99 Ranch, which is an Asian supermarket and has the cheapest and best veggies by a country mile so I hit that up on the regular. I assume Super 88 is their equivalent - good information!

Definitely live too far from Haymarket to make the regular trips there but if I'm near Little Italy on the weekend I will definitely check it out

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
the one I go to is just called Asian Food Market. There are tanks of live fish that they will kill and clean right in front of you. SPeaking of which, last time I was there I got some pork sung and I'm not really sure what to do with it. Thought about putting it into some chili but I dunno.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

SPeaking of which, last time I was there I got some pork sung and I'm not really sure what to do with it. Thought about putting it into some chili but I dunno.

I've always just added it on top of noodles with oyster sauce. Theres probably something fancier you can do with it though

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I've always just added it on top of noodles with oyster sauce. Theres probably something fancier you can do with it though

oh poo poo what if I mixed it into a hamburger

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

My wife is trying to eat healthier and do a high protein diet. We went to Costco on Friday and got some refrigerated protein bars.

Bars were rear end but we are coming back in a few weeks to get the giant rear end water slide for 350 bucks.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

It’s more a meal replacement bar than a protein bar, but I like those MetRX Big 100 bars they carry at the moment.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
FitCrunch or gtfo

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I like the Simply Protein bars, they have the crunch of a rice crispy treat.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Soul Dentist posted:

FitCrunch or gtfo

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Soul Dentist posted:

FitCrunch or gtfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I buy the Costco protein bars, it is like Kirkland signature 20 count box. I am also on a high protein diet and they are only bars at Costco that have 1 gram of protein/10 calories which is the ratio of my diet and most of my meals.