Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What's the difference between regular rolled oats and gluten-free rolled oats, given that oats don't contain gluten?

Seems like one of those situations in which you'd have to go out of your way to cross contaminate at the factory too.

A lot of it is certifying no cross contamination at any point in the supply chain, yeah. Not just the factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I've given up trying to figure out when peak Samples time is. I really thought it would be Sunday, but there was very little.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

there is absolutely nothing in costco worth sampling instead of just buying and the clusterfuck situation around the sample carts makes shopping actively worse. sample time is a terrible time

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Eating all the available samples is like a free full meal if you're skinny / a kid / on wegovy.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What's the difference between regular rolled oats and gluten-free rolled oats, given that oats don't contain gluten?

Seems like one of those situations in which you'd have to go out of your way to cross contaminate at the factory too.

Oats are actually highly susceptible to gluten contamination while in the fields. One of the more difficult foods for people with celiac.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

TrashMammal posted:

there is absolutely nothing in costco worth sampling instead of just buying and the clusterfuck situation around the sample carts makes shopping actively worse. sample time is a terrible time

After several disgusting buys, my new policy is only to buy stuff I've sampled.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Beachcomber posted:

After several disgusting buys, my new policy is only to buy stuff I've sampled.

the coward’s return

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

buying the fancy humane eggs at costco :c00lbert:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Why is it 100% vegetarian fed, so the feeders don't tell it how delicious it's going to become?

"Welp, can't sell this one anymore"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

TrashMammal posted:

I actively avoid sample carts and days because it attracts the most obnoxious humans on earth. lemme just block the whole loving aisle. I dont even know how they do it. the aisles are like 3 carts wide at least and sometimes one person will manage to block the whole thing and then be a dick when you're like "hey excuse me can I get by" like how dare I disrupt their bliss of eating a bite of chip

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Anonymous Robot posted:

Oats are actually highly susceptible to gluten contamination while in the fields. One of the more difficult foods for people with celiac.

I was told that its not that oats have gluten, they have their own very similar protein that ~10% of coeliacs will react to in the same way as the wheat/barley/etc ones.

Which you can also be asymptomatically reacting to so you have to go through the whole 6 week exposure plus endoscopy to check for damage. Probably after being gluten free enough to have an endoscopy confirm you are healing from the gluten damage.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

silicone thrills posted:

I actively avoid sample carts and days because it attracts the most obnoxious humans on earth. lemme just block the whole loving aisle. I dont even know how they do it. the aisles are like 3 carts wide at least and sometimes one person will manage to block the whole thing and then be a dick when you're like "hey excuse me can I get by" like how dare I disrupt their bliss of eating a bite of chip

:baduk:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

silicone thrills posted:

eating a bite of chip

Any member born after 1983 can't shop, all they know is be blocking aisles, eat free chip, and lie

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Zero VGS posted:

Any member born after 1983 can't shop, all they know is be blocking aisles, eat free chip, and lie

you mean before? because its the loving olds.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Zero VGS posted:

Huh?

silicone thrills posted:

you mean before? because its the loving olds.

Yeah it's definitely this.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I was just riffing on the "eat hot chip" meme jeez you're gonna make me explain everything?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

riff better next time

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The only time samples came in use for me was learning that the shamrock shaped ravioli I had already put in my cart were really gross and it was the easiest decision to put them back.

I miss shopping during covid

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I was at Costco today and yet again they haven't brought the beer chips back. 0/10.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
im going to costco tomorrow (technically today as it is after midnight)

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

made out like a bandit at the business center. pretty sure i’m gonna be making GBS threads solid cinnamon rolls by the end of the week

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
A blog I read (in 2024!) had a story about a Costco trip today:
https://www.waiterrant.net/2024/04/free-samples-are-never-free/

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's like they wrote a normal, believable story but in the most stdh.txt way

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Waiterrant is still going? I was thinking about that blog just this weekend. I remembered him being kinda insufferable, and it looks like I was right.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Jorath posted:

A blog I read (in 2024!) had a story about a Costco trip today:
https://www.waiterrant.net/2024/04/free-samples-are-never-free/

This is what suburbia does to people.

You look up one day and you're writing headcanon fanfic to nobody about how you totally owned someone and saved the day at a costco sample booth

It's so slow that you don't know it happened until you realize at some point that the best part of your week was firing up the ride on mower or something. Bone chilling poo poo.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

Big Mac posted:

Waiterrant is still going? I was thinking about that blog just this weekend. I remembered him being kinda insufferable, and it looks like I was right.
He's always been that way, it's part of the appeal.

He was very quiet for years, but his father dying last month has caused him to ramp up the posting.

His Costco observations are pretty accurate; the sample carts can turn into the scene of a fresh kill on the Serengeti, especially for sweets like chocolate.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

if you don’t actually buy the product you aren’t doing poo poo for the sample people. jerking yourself off later while you think about how swell you were for not being mean is useless to them (and creepy)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

thathonkey posted:

im going to costco tomorrow (technically today as it is after midnight)

i went to costco. they had the new bagged rotisserie chicken. makes it a lot easier to grab 2, which is exactly what i needed to do for meals this week. god i loving love costco

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

TrashMammal posted:

if you don’t actually buy the product you aren’t doing poo poo for the sample people. jerking yourself off later while you think about how swell you were for not being mean is useless to them (and creepy)

I can 100% assure you that the associates offering samples don't give a poo poo if you buy the product or not. Their jobs are not in jeopardy if the don't convert a certain percentage of samples into sales.

They're too busy trying to keep the samples flowing and hoping that the old lady who is currently talking their ear off about how busy it is and how they remember when the store used to carry their favorite food in the entire world but discontinued it in 1993 and asking why they don't bring it back, will move the gently caress out of the way and go bother someone else.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Man, the people doing samples at my Costco ARE the old ladies. I don't think they have an opinion on whatever turmeric juice they're pouring that day.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

I can 100% assure you that the associates offering samples don't give a poo poo if you buy the product or not. Their jobs are not in jeopardy if the don't convert a certain percentage of samples into sales.

They're too busy trying to keep the samples flowing and hoping that the old lady who is currently talking their ear off about how busy it is and how they remember when the store used to carry their favorite food in the entire world but discontinued it in 1993 and asking why they don't bring it back, will move the gently caress out of the way and go bother someone else.

100% those people don’t care about getting their bonus at all :smuggo:

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

My daughter's boyfriend recently started as a 'co sample hander-outer. His reward the other day for selling out all his items was "you can go home now" and he lost 3 hours of work that day. Anyway they're only scheduling him like one day a week so he's back on the job hunt.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

wow, guess sample time sucks even more than i thought

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The sample people aren't Costco employees, I thought everyone knew this.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

TrashMammal posted:

100% those people don’t care about getting their bonus at all :smuggo:

They don't get bonuses. Their boss does.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

KakerMix posted:

The sample people aren't Costco employees, I thought everyone knew this.

Yeah, he was stoked at first thinking he was getting hired by Costco, chance to advance etc, but no it's some other company that handles the sample people.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

‘Ladas made with Costco rotisserie and Costco tortillas

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
made your own soviet east euro cars, eh?

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

thathonkey posted:

i went to costco. they had the new bagged rotisserie chicken. makes it a lot easier to grab 2, which is exactly what i needed to do for meals this week. god i loving love costco

Wait, what’s this about bagged rotisserie chicken? I haven’t seen this at my Costco yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

digital penitence posted:

Wait, what’s this about bagged rotisserie chicken? I haven’t seen this at my Costco yet.

You won't until they use up the bajillion clamshell packages first, the goons inform me