Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

New parishioners might need to have PBUC translated.

Praise
Be
Unto
Costco

Boy I hope I got that right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Having the Costco membership has been great for being on a low carb diet. So many different things to try and then be sad when they rotate out of Costco. The large bags of Purely Elizabeth grain free granola were great tasting and an amazing deal when they used to have those in stock. About 1/3 the price by weight for the Costco sized bags.

The Hilo chips were really good, but were not around very long. When they had some cheese puff things recently, I grabbed like 3 bags just in case. Especially when I found out the local store do carry 4oz bags of the chips (Costco was 12 or 16) for like $4 compared to the $6.99 for the Costco sized.

And then there are the staples of tuna, chicken, bacon, sugar free caffeine.

I have to run to Costco tomorrow for a bunch of things, and I think I will be without my kids so I can browse a bit and make my wallet cry.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Smugworth posted:

Get some kimchi op. Jongga, the one with two "g"s. Avoid other brands.

As a pasty white boy, I am intrigued by kimchi, but know nothing about it. Does it have to be prepared or heated in any way before consumption? Or just dig in like you would coleslaw?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

That’s all good to know. I might try picking up a jar of the stuff. See if I get past the first round with it.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

For the Costco Car program, in the before Covid times, some dealers would honor the Costco price, even if they were not the chosen Costco dealership for the area.

Normally when you go with the Costco program, you tell the program the manufacturer (maybe even the model, it’s been two and a half years for me), and your location. They would give your information to the local dealership that is running the Costco program in your area. If it isn’t particularly close, or you are test driving things closer to home, you can always check to see if the local dealership will honor the price.

For example, we were looking to get a Honda Odyssey in July of 2020 for my wife to make it easier to haul the kids around. The Costco supplied dealership was over 30 minutes away. But the 5 minute away volume Honda dealership was more than happy to log onto the Costco portal to get and match the price on a vehicle that they had a ton of when the model year was about to turn over.

As stated, no idea if this is still a thing or not. But I have been hearing that with loans getting expensive and hard to qualify for, and lots of people underwater on their current cars, sales are way down. So there might be a little bit of wiggle room on price.

Edit/

The other thing I have done in the further past, is get an official Costco price quote from the Costco dealership. Then when you go to the local dealership, they may agree to match that price if they want a sale. I did that when I ended up ordering a 2017 Dodge Charger. I didn’t want to have to drive 40 minutes or something to the Dodge dealership providing the Costco price. But I had the cost of everything listed on paperwork with that dealership’s name all over it. It wasn’t the best deal of all time, but it saved me a couple hours of haggling for a decent deal at the local dealership.

And it can help reinforce the I can and will walk over stupidity if the salesman tries that stuff. So the Dodge salesman was pretty chill. Just had to do the usual talk to GM once to get him to match the price.

Orvin fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 11, 2023

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

I tried this with a guy at Toyota once and he got pissed off, said I was wasting his time, and canceled our test drive. It was pretty funny.

It worked. He was going to try all the usual scumbag sales tactics, but knew they wouldn’t work as you had a baseline price that he had to compete against. Probably saved you some time when they conveniently lost your license or keys to trade-in or whatever when you tried to leave.

Or it could just be that most of the time in the past I would go out to dealerships at like 1pm on a Tuesday because I was a shift worker. So even when I was upfront about looking at options for fitting my gargantuan size and no intention of buying today, I never got hassled. The dealerships were generally dead, so the sales people were not missing out on other sales by showing me around.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

My local Costco was completely out of fresh eggs this morning. It must have happened Friday or Saturday, as there wasn’t even a vacant spot in the cold room for them to be. It was also pretty clear that I wasn’t the only person that was looking for eggs, as there was a few people that went into the cold room, did a quick look around and leave.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The Kirkland precooked bacon prices have been dropping recently. I picked up a package for just under $10 today. At its peak they were like $17 a year or two ago.

Also a Chicago suburban church had the chocolate peanutbutter pie that my wife wanted to try, so I picked one up on her orders to bring to a family gathering on Saturday.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie report: it was good, but nothing more than that. It is a slightly fluffier pudding consistency. There were 10 adults and 2 kids at the gathering, and we still had like a quarter of it left over. But everyone finished their piece. My wife was glad we got it, but at that size we will not likely get it again.

*side note, I picked it up on Wednesday, and served it Saturday. It held up just fine. The graham cracker crust was not soggy, which was about my only fear.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

What’s up with all the different kinds of kimchi at other area Costcos? The Costcos near me only have a single brand of Kimchi that I have seen in recent times (Jongga). Is there some secret hideaway that has another brand?

The closest Costco to me has all sorts of Asian foods in stock, so I would imagine that if there was going to be multiple types of kimchi, this might be the place to offer it. Or maybe because it shares a parking lot with an H-Mart they don’t bother.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Whooping Crabs posted:

I'm ready for some discount hams

Pressed Hams?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpDtkBMaZD4

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Chest freezers kinda suck because poo poo always gets buried at the bottom and you have to pull every fuckin thing out to get to it.

The solution to that is to have a chest freezer for each type of item. So one for frozen pizza, one for frozen chicken, one for ice cream bars, etc.

And a label maker.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Anyone try the latest dessert craze, the lemon meringue cheesecake? I am slightly intrigued by it, and am debating bringing it as an extra dessert to a family gathering. The chocolate peanutbutter pie served well, and I am hopeful this can do the same.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

skipdogg posted:

It’s really good. I think it’s better than the chocolate peanut butter pie.

I would buy the lemon meringue cheesecake again and again. The CPB was a one time purchase

This sounds promising. In our group, the CPB pie was agreed to be somewhere between above average to good. Nobody was disappointed with it, but we didn’t feel the need to buy it again at the huge size it is.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I have to go to Costco tomorrow morning and hope they have the lemon merange cheesecake available. Plus a few other odds and ends. I am hopeful that I don’t lose my sanity attempting this while having two small children in tow. I think bribes of croissants and maybe new clothing might be in order.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

My Costco did not have the lemon meringue cheesecake available today (Sunday). Since we were planning on bringing it to a small BBQ, we had to pivot. So instead we got the Tuxedo mousse cake. The consensus on the mousse cake was that it was very good.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

BigHead posted:

I bought a tub of white chocolate funfetti cookies for bringing to my sister who owns a daycare and can give them away to many many children.

I forgot them sitting on my counter when I went to visit her several days ago, and now I'm working my way through a giant tub of white chocolate funfetti cookies.

They're so soft and delicious and I hate myself :(

Edit to clarify I bought them from Costco

My kids were turning down ice cream cones (admittedly Aldi’s brand ice cream already in the cone) to get those cookies for a snack. They stayed good for at least a week (that’s as long as the tub lasted in my house).

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I routinely buy all sorts of things labeled as S’Mores flavored. Partly because it really annoys my wife (she says it can’t be called s’more without toasty marshmallow) and partly because I really like chocolate and graham cracker flavor combo.

The Fannie May s’more mix is decent chocolate covering Golden Grahams cereal with the occasional marshmallow thrown in that manages to stay soft. I like it, but it doesn’t really evoke s’mores very well because you don’t often get graham and marshmallow in every bite. I do like it in the cabinet for an occasional hit of chocolate with a bit of crunchy graham inside, and I am way too lazy to try and concoct my own that would be a giant mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Dick Fontaine posted:

about to go on a flavor adventure

I am interested. What section of Costco might I find a bag of these creations?