Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Are the jarred 505 chilis seasonal or regional? I don't know that I've ever seen them at my store (SE WI), and I don't get any matches looking online.

I like costco well enough, but product availability really messes with me.

I get the gyro meat because it's pretty good and makes a quick throw together dinner with leftovers for the week, but getting pita bread @ church is a real gamble. The brand is good, but just availability seems real hit and miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Visited earlier this week, was able to pick up two bags of pitas. I did find the 505s, thanks everyone.

They were either out of, or stopped carrying 18 packs of chewing gum, which is OK, I guess. I seem to recall when my local opened they had a few different brands of multi-pack, and then a year or two ago it became just the one, and now it's 0. I wouldn't be too surprised if it was temporarily taken away to make room for Halloween stuff.

For holiday baking I need to be sure to stock up on butter, because the church is selling it for about half what the local grocery charges for name brand.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I also picked up those frozen Takiyaki (Japanese, filled, fish shaped waffles) as they were about $7 for the box. Tried them last night - pretty good. Vanilla tasted like pretty basic vanilla pudding, chocolate was surprisingly fudgy in a good way. The red bean paste/cinnamon felt like it was trying to strike a balance between the two and kind of missed on both as a result. Not terrible, but would have been better going in one direction I feel. The only thing was since I don't have an air fryer I had to bake them, which gave inconsistent results on crispiness for the outer waffle layer. If I can dial that in, these will be really good.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Do NOT ask for a a “pair o’ deeze”

Instead ask for a pair of "G"s in your Kimchi

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Renegret posted:

Wow I can't believe you just put a scoop of kimchi in each kids bag

Parents, be sure to check your kid's Halloween candy. I just found a Milky Way bar stuffed with Jongga Kimchi (with two gs)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

The Chad Jihad posted:

Kirkland seltzer is rebranded truly, but they dont want you to know this

Falsely?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Tokelau All Star posted:

I saw what they did to my girl Jessie Spano and got scared.

I appreciate this reference.

On the subject of "gaming" your coffee, I was on a high school overnight trip and sharing a room with a pair of idiots. These geniuses decided to rent a Genesis for the night, as this was a service the hotel offered. But to make sure that they got their* money's worth out of the experience, they were going to stay up all night and drink coffee. Energy drinks weren't really a thing then (late 90's). Sure, fine, knock yourself out. Except no, that wasn't going to be enough caffeine for them. So what's an enterprising moron to do? Well, they decided to brew a pot of coffee, and then use that coffee to brew another pot of coffee, instead of water. And of course probably dumped as much sugar as they had access to into the mix as well. I can't imagine it tasted good at all.

*So yeah, again, being 15-16 year old idiots, they thought that renting the system either was included in the room price, or would be billed to the room, which was being paid for by the school. Of course, that wasn't the case, and of course they had no cash on them, so when the bill came due, they had to go around, person to person, practically begging for $20 to cover the cost of their little adventure. Big tweaker energy.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

My only complaint with self checkout is the lack of boxes

Don't know what's up with your church, but at mine, there are 4 self checkouts (maybe 6) and in between there are 2 giant bins just full of boxes to use for carrying out stuff.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

What about the "marinade-ing drawer"

Here, put your raw meat, random aromatics, and assorted juices in a narrow, shallow drawer and carefully slide that, uncovered into your fridge. Why uncovered? Because the shelf above acts as a cover. What about spills? Don't worry, the drawer is dishwasher safe. Spills in the fridge? Don't worry, the wood will absorb all that pungent liquid.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah but that's all through the third party vendor so if they gently caress up you complain and get a gift card.

I'm not 100% on the prices but if it includes the same care as lost other costco stuff...

It seems to not. IIRC someone in this thread had a problem with a TV mount installation failing and breaking the TV, and Costco basically said it was not their problem. I could be wrong, but there was a whole discussion around who was responsible, but in real life, no one was handling it and I think the goon in question ended up eating the cost.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Renegret posted:

I love the ultimate dad energy radiating from this thread's dishwasher talk.

Anybody else's wife loads the dishwasher like an absolute loving psychopath?

Your wife actually loads and unloads the dishwasher? Without being cajoled?

Lots of goons posted:

I don't prewash

I can't not pre-wash. It's baked in, much like the crust that never came off with our dishwasher when I was a kid. I should try and learn how to just let go. Scraping alone is enough. Trust the machine to do its job. Of course, the guy in the video above is demonstrating everything with the exact same model of DW that I have, so maybe I can trust him.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Picked up a bag of Chili Mango last trip - drat they are addictive. Nice and thick slices, not super soft, and mostly not leathery. Probably going to finish the whole bag in under a week.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Renegret posted:

Hell yeah

I'm gonna soap box on this for a bit but everyone should get their eyes checked out. My prescription is -0.5/-1.0 and sometimes people give me poo poo for wearing glasses when I don't actually need them. But the difference between glasses and one is seeing individual leaves on a tree instead of a green blob, it's seeing street signs a second or two sooner. Movies in theaters are better, it just makes life in general a little bit more enjoyable. Why would you not?

This 100%. I got my eyes checked for the first time in about 20 years just about 2 months ago. Figured, I might as well, never noticed any real problems before. Covered my right eye, I could read the eye chart from across the room, no problem. Covered my left eye and, wait. Why did everything get mega blurry all of a sudden. Apparently my left eye has been pulling double duty for half my life and never noticed before.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

pencilhands posted:

Why is it a running joke here that sams club is bad but no one ever seems to even mention BJs?

It's insincere to discuss something you haven't experienced.

Somewhat seriously, Sam's club and Costco are the big players and have more of a market share. Looking around, the closest BJs to me is several hundred miles away, and I had never even heard of them before. There appear to be maybe 2 dozen of them nationwide, and all appear to be centered around Ohio. It would be kind of like discussing Buc-ee's outside of the South.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

thathonkey posted:

at lowes the few employees that are at the store openly despise and avoid all forms of customer interaction (i mean ... fair). the employees dont even seem to want to help each other. last time i was at lowes for maybe 20 minutes looking at plants literally the entire time some poor employee was calling for a manager, any manager, over the intercom with increasingly desperate pleas of "customer is waiting!"

Absolutely just about every Lowes experience for me (one time had a really helpful old guy in paint). I've spent upwards of 30 minutes just waiting for someone to show up in whatever department I need help from.

Lowes is staffed by the most apathetic, unhelpful, young (hate to say that poo poo) staff of any retail store I've ever had the misfortune of shopping at. Yeah, nobody gives a gently caress at walmart or target, but that's OK, I don't need your knowledge or help there. I just need you to authorize this transaction so I'm not stealing this poo poo.

Home depot is about as bad, but at least there are 20 individuals on shift at home depot. Lowes has maybe 8 people on staff at any given time. 2 people at returns, 1 on (self) checkout, 2 in garden, and everyone else scattered to the 4 winds. But where I am it's either Lowes halfway across town, Menards a little further away, but construction and a bad parking lot keep me away, Home Depot about 30 minutes away, or Ace. My Ace is close, and new, and well staffed. Unfortunately, it is missing some of the selection of a big box some store. No lumber for example.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Psion posted:

I just read about them and I sure hope they exist outside the Midwest, because I want to try their root beer now.

You can get it in about half the country, but you might have to search for it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Went to church yesterday. No dried chili mango, disappointed in that. Then I also picked up the Korean BBQ pork jerky like normal, but something is off. Usually it's practically swimming in marinade, but this batch is very dry. I seem to recall a few other goons having similar issues. First time for me. It's still good, but could be better. Also picked up some bacon cheddar smoked sausages. Will try them in a few weeks.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

Which is the best cheese for sex

To get you horny? To use during sex? Or to use as a fleshlight substitute?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Went to church last night, picked up a bag of Tajin gummy bears and some Chicken Shawarma from the fridge section. Gummy bears are absolutely my jam, so I hope they become part of the regular rotation. Has anyone else tried the shawarma chicken?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

SirPablo posted:

Who the gently caress spends 1:20 there?

First timers and people who are unaware of the vast selection on offer.

Hell, I go regularly and unless I'm on an absolute mission, I'll gently caress around and see what new or seasonal stuff they have on offer.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Gawr Gooner posted:

How do I stop buying stuff I don't need every time I go in for a hotdog and a chicken bake? I'm running out of money here

I don't know if it's even possible to bring in cash money, but if you are literally only going in for the food court, and they take cash, bring in your membership card and :10bux:

Physically limiting yourself to the cash you have on hand may not stop you from all impulse purchases, but you will only walk out with what $10 will get you, and in Costco, that's maybe 1 thing most of the time.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Costco has the only pharmacy in the area that isn't either completely incompetent or outright fraudulent, which puts me in the store on a regular basis. I believe you can use the pharmacy without a membership but I assume it requires you to negotiate with the door cop every time you enter to explain your situation, which accomplishes little more than adding yet another unwanted interaction to the gauntlet.

Here's the thing, and it comes in two flavors.

First, You have a membership card now, right? If you stop paying for membership, that card doesn't evaporate into smoke. Keep it in your wallet, take it out when entering church and beeline to the pharmacy. They don't scan the card at the entrance to make sure you're still current. Maybe my store is a bit lax on the entry check, but I'm not pressured half the time. And if they stop and ask you if you have a membership you say yes, and keep walking. Or, say you're here for the pharmacy, which has the benefit of being true. If you're really chickenshit about talking to another human being, explaining your legitimate business reasons for being there, walk in at the same time as 2-3 other people. They aren't checking everybody.

Option 2, and a bit more confidence may be needed, but they allow you to come in to sign up for a card if you don't have one (or maybe they used to?). But at my store the big door on the right is the entrance, and the door on the left is the exit. But going from the entrance to customer service would mean looping around 100ft of merchandise, a chain-link fence, and going through the checkout lanes. Or you could walk the "wrong way" through the exit door and be right at the service desk. In my store, you keep walking past the service desk, past the food court, and bathrooms, and then to the pharmacy counter. Yeah, that means walking the wrong way through the checkouts too, but it would be the same if you needed to make a mid service pee break too.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Just over $1.50 freedom bucks, but it's not a beef dog, it's pork, and I doubt it's 1/4 pound. Hell, I bet they don't even have pounds over there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Just you wait until us millennials have to order our pizza on those dang holographic kiosks when we're in our 80s.

Back in my day our displays had 2 dimensions and we were happy with that!

Liar. This is "our time", and no one is happy. Ever.

Also, joke's on you, I plan to be dead by the time I'm in my 80s

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Armacham posted:

Yo
What statin are you all taking

Atorvastatin, but more as a preventative, because my other meds. Hooray.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

pencilhands posted:

serious question, what does the "plus" mean? Are they implying you might get a heftier dog?

Unfortunately the whole item is the

1/4 pound hot dog
Plus Soda w/ refill

The "plus" is referring to the the soda and not describing the hot dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

tumblr hype man posted:

Picked up all the wine for my wedding at Costco yesterday.

Did not get a hot dog.

How are Costco weddings? Well catered I imagine.