Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ShowTime posted:

Has anyone had the Victorias White Linen Sauce or Marinara? It’s on sale this month and while I’m not sure if my local has it, I was thinking of picking some up on my next trip.

It can’t be anywhere near as good as Raos, which is the best god drat tomato sauce in the world.

Did some searching online and some people prefer the Victoria! Interested in the results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MarcusSA posted:

$50 dog beds are a steal.

Couldn’t get a dog because the line was stupid fuckin long and I didn’t have time to wait.

Had to read this twice to get the dogs right in my head

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Alan Smithee posted:

lol if you dont do self checkout at the co

wish they had barcode guns like Home Depot that you could use yourself

At mine they have nannies at every self checkout who do everything for you so I’m not sure what the point is

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Slotducks posted:

they'll slowly phase that out - it'll go from 8 attendants to 6 to 4 to 2 over the course of a few months - it's soft conditioning the folk to getting used to self checkout.

My church now only has 1 self checkout guru goin'

They’ve had self-checkout for years, though. There was a period where they shut down those lanes because there was too much loss associated with it, so I have a feeling the workers are there to prevent theft as opposed to making things go faster.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

skipdogg posted:

I don’t care for the Kirkland brand “bath tissue”. It’s super linty. Ymmv though I’ve heard they source from several places depending on region and you may get a different supplier where you live.

I’ve never used the Kirkland ultra soft labeled tp I assume it’s similar to charmin ultra soft.

Yes, there are at least two vastly different Kirkland TP sold under the same name. My region gets the bad kind

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

PokeJoe posted:

that stupid crate pinched me just picking it up from the display, i cant imagine owning one. are they really worth it

I bought one to try it out. If you fill it with typical CostCo products (lots of liquid - wine bottles, 505, etc) it feels like it’s going to catastrophically explode when you’re carrying it. I’m not super impressed with it, but I guess it’s handy that it folds up. I’m pretty sure my reusable plastic bags are 100x more durable.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ShowTime posted:

Kibun's Healthy Noodles are back to an affordable price, but I think it's because they are being discontinued. They are ending in .97, which means they are gone for good, right? Or just gone for a certain amount of time? They used to be under $10, then got marked up to $18 and now they are back down to $9.97. I'd recommend them if you want a low carb, low calorie noodle substitute. Just add a little butter and Italian herbs and you have a delicious side item that's only about 150 calories, 0 carbs, super tasty and filling.

Aw man, I just tried a package of those and was going to make it a staple.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah those healthy noodles are great for a quick Asian dish. Frozen stir fry vegetables + noodles + tofu + some kind of sauce. Quick, easy, and won’t kill you.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jingleheimer posted:

You can probably walk up and get it but you might have to wait a bit, it's definitely better to schedule an appointment. You can fill out most of the info online so that makes it a little faster. Pharmacies have staffing issues just like any other place. All the walk ins they get put more stress on them on most days where they already have too much on their plates.

Yeah, I was in the other day at the pharmacy and overheard a lot of people trying (and failing) to do walk-up appointments. Keep in mind that the vaccine is frozen, so they have to prepare ahead of time to have doses available, and they can’t refreeze it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Strong Convections posted:

The take and bakes aren't even the same size as the food court pizzas - you'd never fit one in a standard kitchen oven - not to mention the toppings are different.

You sure about that? I remember the take and bakes being enormous.

I figured they just made them in the morning in the food court and boxed them up for sale.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

fischtick posted:

Maybe the Saudis are going to pause TP production this fall and we'll start finding "I did that!" stickers pointing to empty TP rolls in restrooms.

I saw my first one of those stickers the other day, wtf

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Toxic Mental posted:

Thinking seriously about those hot dogs

https://twitter.com/johnnycallicutt/status/1581306448050458624?s=46&t=0k9MFKJ6OzRgQ8ujJsNRyQ

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Vertically transporting TVs was really important for plasmas because the screen could delaminate if you drove it around when it was laying down. I’ve never heard of that being a thing for LCDs/OLEDs.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Chinatown posted:

Good thread title change.

They should have fully committed and gone with gglizzy

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

skipdogg posted:

Watched a YT video about Costco’s sales and these people had Pulmuone brand Kimchi (zero g’s) at their Costco in Indiana. Have they been forsaken the one true kimchi?

We have the Two Gs, however in the recent past I believe it was some other brand. I think I kicked off this whole meme when I asked people to clarify which brand was the good one because we've had mixups with regional variations in the past.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Just buy a SodaStream and make your own drat carbonated water

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Some of that liquid is probably due to all the saline they inject:

Consumer Reports posted:

Costco’s rotisserie chicken has 460 mg of sodium per 3-ounce serving. That’s one-fifth of the maximum amount of sodium adults should consume in a day (2,300 mg).
Source

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Solestado Muffuletta Olive Salad - I noticed they weren’t carrying the “That Pickle Guy” brand for this anymore (that one has a crude drawing of a man wearing a barrel on a GeoCities-rear end label). I’m not sure I like this one as much. It’s chopped very coarsely with annoyingly variably sized pieces. I can’t shake the feeling that something is a bit “off” with it (not sure if it’s the oil they use or what). Next time I use it I’ll try chopping it finer first.

Kirkland Signature New Zealand Grassfed Butter - Bought this on a whim instead of the Kerrygold. It’s not as soft, that’s for sure. Not sure I like it as much.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Ended up going to CostCo at 10:15 today because I got my eyes dilated at a vision exam and couldn’t read a monitor anyway. How are there so many people at CostCo mid-morning on a Tuesday!!!

Mainly there to pick up prescriptions but I also refilled the Jongga

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Friend posted:

This is distressing news. Loved serving that on poboy bread with sauteed shrimp. Also really great on pizza.

I can find That Pickle Guy in other stores. Much smaller container and more pricey (of course) but they do have more varieties than the single one CostCo used to carry.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Bum the Sad posted:

Turns out That Pickle Guy is a sexual predator. Never meet your heroes kids.

I’d believe it

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hasselblad posted:

I am full body sweating just thinking about it.

Mattresses breath from the bottom. If you go foam, you really want a European style bed frame with slats instead of a completely solid base.

Also memory foam gets warm as it compresses but latex doesn’t. I have a couch with memory foam cushions and it sucks in the summer.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

binge crotching posted:

The last couple of times I've been they've had signs out front that there are no eggs. I guess that giant chicken factory they just built in Kansas or Nebraska or something like that is just for cooked chickens.

Yeah they have their own custom breed/variety/whatever for the rotisseries IIRC

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ineffiable posted:

The pro move is to get the citi Costco card. It gives another 2% back on most Costco stuff and you'll get 4% on gas. I actually get a bigger refund from my credit card rewards than my Costco rewards.

I use that card for all my gas & restaurant purchases, but there’s some min-max hack about using different cards at CostCo. I mean, I don’t bother and just use the Citi, but there’s a Wirecutter article about it.

I think the point of the article is that branded cards often don’t give you max rewards for that brand, since you’re already a fan and don’t need a massive incentive to buy their stuff.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ineffiable posted:

Normally I'd agree but the citi gives 2% at Costco (plus 4% gas, that's a real big key part) and it has no annual fee. It gives you great percentage back for no annual fee.
I don’t really like that article because they’re like “yeah this card is actually pretty good for using at CostCo, but if you have these other very specific cards you could get 2.5%!!!”

The only reason I have an Amex is that it was the previous CostCo card. At this point I only use it for groceries, but even with 6% I’m not sure I come out ahead compared to the no-fee version that gives 3%.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

pencilhands posted:

Is there any chance of the food court returning to its former glory some day?

CostCo, as much as we may be loathe to admit it, is still a capitalist company and Numbers Must Go Up. It would only be expanded if they could make enough money out of that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Costco doesn't carry the good paper towels so that's one thing I usually buy elsewhere, like Target.

My Mom gets hers from Costco and I don't remember them smelling like anything other than mediocre paper towels, which is appropriate.

As a PSA for everyone if you’re looking for CostCo paper towel alternatives, Trader Joe paper towels are TERRIBLE. Like, horrendous - the layers immediately delaminate.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Has CostCo ever sold that shelf stable tofu that comes in little bricks? I usually get that because the amount of tofu in one package is more appropriate for how I use it. Would be nice to buy a 6 or 12 pack.

Edit: I think the brand I buy is Mori-Nu

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

This is the brand my costco carries.

https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/house-foods-organic-tofu%2C-firm%2C-16-oz%2C-4-ct.product.100343530.html

They also have the soft ones by the same brand.
Not shelf stable though

Same for mine, curious if there are regional variations or if they’ve ever carried the shelf stable ones

sexy tiger boobs posted:

If you're looking for cloth-like paper towels there's this other awesome product you should check out. They're called towels, made of cloth. You can wash em and reuse them too!

As a Swede I must point out that that you barbaric Americans (I’m now one too, I’m allowed to say that) need to learn about sponge cloths. I hate using towels for wiping up stuff because they get saturated and you just end up pushing water around. Sponge cloths are vastly superior because you can just wring them out and keep going.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

pentyne posted:

I saw them once in Costco about a year ago and not since. The little sealed cardboard boxes? They were nice but insanely hard for me to open without damaging the tofu block.

You have to follow their instructions very carefully, and even then there’s always a sliver that sticks to the package.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don’t know wtf I did last year but mines gonna be over $400, I remember previous years being in the 200s

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
well when you put it that way it takes all the fun out of it

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Zachack posted:

We ran out of Kerrygold so we went to our Costco and they didn't have any. Supposedly there's a grass-fed Kirkland butter that's very similar but it wasn't where the Kerrygold was (with the other butters). Does Costco put fancy butter somewhere else now?

You’re thinking of the Kirkland grass-fed New Zealand butter. I don’t think it’s all that similar really, it’s way harder than the Kerrygold. I’m not raving Kerrygold fan but I do think it’s better.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Zero VGS posted:

I'm very sure the Costco Bailey's isn't made by Bailey's. I don't think they would sell a $16 product to undercut their $46 product.

They might as long as it isn’t called Bailey’s. Got to protect the brand!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I wholeheartedly do not recommend the dehydrated mushroom medley

I thought it would be good for soups and stuff but it’s full of inedible woody stems. Maybe if you boiled the absolute poo poo out of just the mushrooms and then blended it you might be able to consume it. Right now I’m left with a batch of soup that I’m considering throwing out :(

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is the Kirkland peanut butter back? I get it for my dog

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I think over a certain amount they let you do a direct deposit

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

norp posted:

I don't mind the Costco checkers for some reason but I completely ignore the fuckers at Kmart (yes Kmart still exists in my country, it shares a logo but thats about it) because gently caress you Kmart for putting the checkouts in the literal centre of the store and making it impossible for them to tell who has checked out and who is just stealing a trolley full of stuff.

wait what

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I knew about Sears, I didn’t realize the same guy ruined Kmart. He was an Objectivist IIRC

(Edit: Yup)

quote:

Lampert is the owner of the Fountainhead, an 87.78 m (288 ft) motor luxury yacht.

That still doesn’t explain why the registers would be in the middle of the store

david_a fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Kirkland Light - cuz it’s 11am somewhere!