Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Fritzler posted:

I buy the Costco protein bars, it is like Kirkland signature 20 count box. I am also on a high protein diet and they are only bars at Costco that have 1 gram of protein/10 calories which is the ratio of my diet and most of my meals.

Yeah, the Costco membership is worth it just for the protein bars and protein powders they have there if you weightlift. I've not found a better deal outside of short-term factory seconds stuff at places like Grocery Outlet which just put stuff out as they find it. Aldi/Lidl are really competitive with Costco on a lot of stuff though.

Canned chicken or tuna are also great sources of affordable protein. Use some of the taco seasoning on that for another affordable protein source.

In other news, Costco saved me about $400/6mths on car insurance going through them over every other insurer I could find. Recently it's shot up to ~$1k/6mths despite the fact that I drive like 2k miles a year at most, and I've not been in an accident in like 15 years. Only ~$600/6mths through Costco. So that pays for the membership lol.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

All things in moderation.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What's the difference between regular rolled oats and gluten-free rolled oats, given that oats don't contain gluten?

Seems like one of those situations in which you'd have to go out of your way to cross contaminate at the factory too.

A lot of it is certifying no cross contamination at any point in the supply chain, yeah. Not just the factory.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Do you prefer your chicken shell-on or shell-off?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Something that I've taken to using for Costco's big portions lately is a vacuum sealer for mason jars. It's not a real canning tool, so it won't extend the life of food (nearly) indefinitely, but it can double or triple the time before perishable stuff goes bad, especially if also stored in the fridge like you'd normally do. Or keep things like cookies from going stale, even if they'd still technically still be edible, for a lot longer. Things like the huge packages of lettuce which are impossible for one or two people to eat before they go bad are actually usable now if you split them up into multiple jars.

Plus, since it's for mason jars, you can just wash the jars out and reuse, rather than having to buy special vacuum bags.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

pencilhands posted:

I should get into preserving, sounds like a fun hobby

One of the neat things is that Costco sells a bunch of stuff that comes in mason jars, so if you're already getting that stuff anyway, the containers are free and the only thing that'll cost you is the ~$15-20 for the vacuum sealer and another ~$15 for some reusble lids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

pencilhands posted:

why isn't costco on doordash or grubhub etc

https://sameday.costco.com/store/costco/

Mind you, everything is marked up by like 15-20%. It kind of wipes out any savings.

The 2-day shipping is somewhat better. I'd only recommend it if you, don't have a car or going to one would be a big chore. In-store prices are still significantly better.