Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Buns to Buns!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

bagmonkey posted:

I spent like $145 last night and I got a bunch of beverages (including the $25 case of Monster, its so cheap I figure why not stock up) and some socks and one of those stupidly huge bags of cheddar/caramel popcorn and some multivitamins and other poo poo, I went right around closing time and it was very peaceful

Our Costco business center has all flavors of monster in single flavor cases… it’s awesome. Takes us a while to go through but it’s so much cheaper

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Ineffiable posted:

Random question.

Can you use a Costco rewards certificate at a business center? I have one but it's over a hour away while normal costcos are much closer. Just thinking if I get a large sized reward certificate, it'd be good to go to the business center for the real bulk stuff and stock up for a whole.

I don’t have a definite answer but I would think “yes”

Maybe call them?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I hope they’re pickled

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

So are Malaysians tricking each other into eating gas station burritos?

Cause some are good and now I might have to try Durian

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I live in the ghetto apartments next door to the swanky ones… Costco is just as close for me and I pay way less for my area. The buildings are falling apart though lol.

500 feet is just about correct for me I think. I’ll have to measure next time I go :)
It’s glorious, totally recommend

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

ixo posted:

we've funded a long term storage study with some egg scientists, should be published sometime this year. they found that they're safe to eat up even up to around the 6 month mark*. quality declines and it'll lose the ability to do things like hold structure in an angel food cake, for instance, but it won't kill you.

*if held between 34-45F, if the shell and membrane remain intact, if it was properly processed and held at the origin farm, and if the egg remains clean.

I know a lot about eggs, ok

Please post a link to this when it’s published… this is a topic of conversation that comes up more often than it should and has a wide range of beliefs

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

bird with big dick posted:

Thought about getting one of these but didnt:

Hmmmmmmm, what would be the best way to cook one of these?
I’m terrified of messing up the whole USDA choice loins we get sometimes from the biz center for a little less than that total price
Haven’t messed one up yet though and they are delicious at $14.99/lb

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Lol, I was about to say that it wasn’t as good as breyers, but the Costco premium vanilla is good. We ate the crap out of it for a while.
Maybe my ice cream critical abilities are off. I don’t think I’ve ever had baaaaaad ice cream. I mean I don’t love the stuff that has so much air in it that they can’t call it ice cream, but even that tastes pretty good

e: typos

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

pentyne posted:

Breyer's isn't legally allowed to call their product ice cream. If that's your benchmark for quality you are way off.

Tbh it’s been a long time since I had it… but it was always so good! Little vanilla bean flecks and such. That’s a bummer :(

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

rodbeard posted:

had a manufacturer's check to spend

A what?

I promise not to make it a huge production

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Dick Fontaine posted:

I hate to say it but Grocery Outlet had CostCo beat today. Picked up a giant bag of Takis flavored candy for 57¢

This stuff is real weird, but also maybe good? It’s kind of like Fun Dip except the stick part is a tamarind lollipop and the dip part is pure Takis’ dust. It’s a lot like other Mexican candies in the same genre except extremely Takis flavored.

My daughter and all of her friends love these.

They’re ok

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I live right across the street from church… as in we go there every other day and carry one of the insulated Costco bags you get when you sign up for auto renewal. We almost never get a cart either. Most of the Costco employees know us and say hi and/or ask where my partner is when I go alone. As you. An imagine, we have the routine down.

Every time one of the Costco peeps tries to help on self-checkout, it always makes things take longer. It’s really annoying if someone knew thinks they can help out. That said, I don’t blame them. We live in the ghetto part of a rich neighborhood of olds. I’ve seen them pull up with a cart to self-checkout and literally wait for someone to scan everything for them. You wouldn’t think someone on a mobility scooter would go to self-checkout but you’d be wrong.

Most church trips are a blessing though.

And we don’t get a ton of special treatment at the door when they check the receipt. I’m actually impressed even though it sucks to have to put down a shoulder bag with kitty litter and vinegar weighing 60lbs so they can check it. Meh, they got a job to do.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Chinatown posted:

wish Costco sold these

They have the original flavor at the business center!

Moon god?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

As someone who lives across from Costco, aside from the occasional rare truck horn/beeping from the loading dock, they are excellent neighbors.

I even use their dumpster sometimes when ours is full.

PBUC

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

Yo what time does Costco shut down the free air

I do not know offhand but I know the gas pumps stay open for 1 hour after closing. I literally asked the manager. They also open earlier than the store but I don’t have specifics. Neither one helps you though I guess, sorry about that

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I love the business center because of that convenience store packaging. I like to pretend my kitchen is a store that sells only the snacks I like

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

esperantinc posted:

If I'm taking a whole pizza home with me I just call and it's ready for me when I'm done shopping.

This is the way, we ask for extra pepperoni and sometimes that happens. Living across from Costco has spoiled us though. We never order any other pizza. Ever

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah stupid goons complaining about things like “privacy” and “personal data being shared everywhere via partner agreements”, lol what a bunch of maroons

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Soul Dentist posted:

Just went today and grabbed a dog. Turns out the onions are in a 4oz cup which is a lot of onions for one hot dog.

Disagree

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I’m just straight up lazy, come at me

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

It depends

Look at the warranty offered by the manufacturer, compare the two in terms, why’s covered and how long they are. Then decide if the cost is worth it.

On big ticket items, I’ll get it if it seems reasonable. It’s paid off on our espresso machine at Best Buy and my partners laptop also at Best Buy. Both broke greater than a year later and were either replaced (espresso machine) or fixed (the laptop). I’m sure I’ve bought it a couple of times and not used it, but it’s definitely been worth it for those two items.

I get that getting it on a smaller item can be dumb, or if it’s less than a year and the mfg warranties for a year, and especially if you don’t trust the place to honor it. But I’m a believer.

Costco might be different though? Do t you get an insane warranty/return policy on everything if you have the citi card and use it to purchase? Idk, I haven’t bought anything big ticket from Costco in a while

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

lol, from Mr Mom:

Keaton: "Where does your mommy keep the vacuum cleaner?"
Kid: "you mean JAWS?"
Keaton: "Your mommy calls the vacuum cleaner JAWS?"
kid: "y-y-yeah" (uses wooden spoon to point off-screen, flicking chili everywhere)

Anywho...
Can the rest of the parishioners give me some feedback on what air filter is best? They have a bunch of choices online:
I assume Winix is the way to go no matter what

1 -- Winix True HEPA 4 Stage Air Purifier with Wi-Fi and Additional Filter: $129.99

2 -- Winix C555 Air Cleaner with PlasmaWave Technology: $139.99

3 -- Winix C909 4-Stage Air Purifier with Wi-Fi & PlasmaWave Technology: $199.99

Comedy option that I don't have the $$$ for
X -- Winix Tower XQ Air Purifier: $569.99

It's for our bedroom that's only about 400 sq ft, but we have pets and the air quality in our town is terrible and so we may want to overbuy.

Anyone have a reason to prefer one over the other or have issues with one of these?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Thanks for the replies thread! PBUC!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm a little late, but only get filters that are certified HEPA.

Filters meeting the HEPA standard must satisfy certain levels of efficiency. Common standards require that a HEPA air filter must remove—from the air that passes through—at least 99.95% of particles whose diameter is equal to 0.3 μm, with the filtration efficiency increasing for particle diameters both less than and greater than 0.3 μm.

e: Otherwise the filter isn't guaranteed to be filtering anything meaningful out of the air.

10-4, thx for this

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

pencilhands posted:

does anyone else live really close to a costco? i'm literally across the street from mine lol

Yo, we live across from ours… driving would literally take us longer to get there. I feel like Costco Igor be taking over our lives since we now get as much as possible from them lol. I can’t remember the last time I’ve had non-Costco pizza

Pro-tip: they set up stands to give out free bags to incentivize you to turn on auto-renewal. We set it up, got a nice, free cooler bag, went on the website and turned it off… then in a couple of months, they’ll put out a stand again and we get another free bag. Repeat

We love the bags and Costco. Church provides

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

The Saucer Hovers posted:

no wait best is skyline chilidog

FTFY

Yeah I was raised in Cincinnati why do you ask?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

We use the crème brûlée ones for dipping sauces all the time now.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Chinatown posted:

u gotta get the Citi credit card bruh. thats where its at.

This man speaks truth…

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

bird with big dick posted:

Has anyone seen this stainless shelving unit for sale at Costco lately I bought this one there about three years ago and I want to get another one to put on the other side of the TV

Lol, maga

I’ve been gnoshing on the “Taylor Farms teriyaki cashew stir fry” that showed up in the produce section and then left. Thankfully it showed up again yesterday and I bought a bunch more. It really has helped my dieting.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Hey what’s the time frame for executive rewards to get paid out? This will be my first time getting one and I just renewed on 9/1… or am I wrong that it’s based on membership renewal date?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm not sure but I usually get mine in February.

When do you renew your membership? Like when does it expire?

I get my Costco Citibank visa cash back in February… but I thought the executive membership cash back was different

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

sock it to me! posted:

I've been in the cleaning industry for 20 years, maybe I should make a cleaning science/theory thread?

:justpost:

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

So I know that the warranty on laptops even when using the Citibank card has been curtailed a lot recently… but what is it now exactly?

Looking to get a laptop for my daughter and wanted to see if a Costco one would fit the bill. Also if anyone has purchased one recently and have opinions let me know about that if you can/want to :)

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Gone.

edit: You do still get "Damage & Theft Purchase Protection" for up to 120 days after purchase (90 days only for New York) though.

Dang, that sucks…

On mobile so it’s hard to quote the post from last page but:
Thx for the advice to hit up Microcenter. I have one very close by and it’s nice to hear that the warranty isn’t poo poo.

Fwiw i too have had pretty good luck having warranties come in handy for the items I do buy them for. I don’t know what it is with electronics nowadays but a lot of poo poo seems to break in 2-3 years or last forever…

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, a business center wouldn’t be confused for a regular warehouse I wouldn’t think. There’s no clothing at all except for PPE.
No laptops, technology section in favor of commercial kitchen equipment displays. No optometrist or eyeglasses

And the single walk-in in the back is the size of all of the refrigerated sections put together in my local Costco.

YMMV of course, but that’s how it is in my neck of the woods

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Huh… would have though Houston before Dallas but idk

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

skipdogg posted:

In my experience Costco puts out a lot of furniture after the first of the year.

They might at other times, but this is for sure.

They like big ticket items around the first part of the year when people get their cash back and tax refunds

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

SirPablo posted:

Gonna go today, hopefully they have cat litter back in stock.

I went yesterday and got some. I live nearby so I decided to come back for it and the pallet display was down pretty significantly in a couple of hours.
Good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Zombie Dachshund posted:

*I used to reduce homemade stock to demiglace that I could easily portion out, but that’s a serious time commitment.

How long does this take? There was a northern exposure episode where Adam the chef discussed it in mythical terms and I was always curious lol