Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i didnt buy kimchi but i did buy some stuff for my quarterly gimjang at costco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
most kimchi nowadays eaten by koreans comes from off a vast and soulless factory line, just like every other product in a highly industrialized society. costco gets theirs from the good vast and soulless factory line with the nice factory ajjummas

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ohtori Akio posted:

hey is jongga with two Gs suitable for vegetarians?

never assume any korean food of any kind is suitable for vegetarians.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no, kimchi gets wet or dry brined first, the rinsed, then put in the kimchi paste which turns into the kimchi liquid as osmosis does its thing. so if you tried that without brining preemptively the salt legels will get wrong

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hansung kimchi is a malay brand created to profit off of hallyu causing malay peeps to eat korean food. it's the best halal kimchi but not close to the best overall kimchi brand. of course koreans are atheists or christian so it has no market share in korea itself

kimchi itself, the path to it not becoming halal would be if they add too much sugar and alcohol forms. hansung is tested to make sure that this isn't the case, the other kimchi manufacturers don't bother

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 26, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

How much Jongga (the one with two "g"s) kimchi should I eat if I want to get drunk?

its prolly still not gonna happen even with the large, actually-korean brands. kimchi is a lactobacillus ferment

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
just exporting the yospos salt argument to gbs here are we

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the way that peeps learn to eat it is in fruit, cuz the fruit stand you go to at 5 and the michi place or michis at home are at adulthood

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

numberoneposter posted:

Great news everybody!

"the expanded space makes the bottle not fuckin explode on you in the fridge"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Soul Dentist posted:

Re: Keto

Please keep in mind the Realgood brand chicken enchiladas are lower in quality than cat food and are one of the most returned items at my store. I literally couldn't make it through a single one. The worst thing I've ever seen at Costco.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, you can't eat like 90% of korean food if you're vegetarian. default broth everywhere is anchovy-seaweed broth, forex

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theyre good for the environment by filtering poison into their bodies so they can't be good for eating at the same time

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the problem with vegan kimchi is that it unfortunately fuckin sucks

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my philosophy on mooncakes is actually that the more artificial and made in a factory, the better. the most dire ones are made with homemade fillings like the chestnut paste or egg yolks

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

LA? yes. bergen county, new jersey? surprisingly yes. seattle? maybe. cleveland? no.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ordinary konjac noodles have been an ordinary part of japanese, NE & SW chinese and korean food for like a millennium or two, it's not a flash in the pan. maybe it's a flash in the pan for american peeps eatin em

the flowers also look fuckin awesome

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 24, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
oh yeah, the other thing that fucks over konjac places is that small children should not eat konjac, they can choke, because that poo poo does not melt in your mouth like gelatin. it's about the same death count as live octopus. so it can definitely kill you if you're 3

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it doesnt have a doubled consonant in korean either, which is the funny thing

consonants w doubling have a material phonetic difference, 까 is pronounced noticeably different from 가, and 종가 is a 가

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they also left out "house", full logo says "종가집"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
fully owned subsidiary of daesang corp, which also owns chungjeongone and miwon brands and is like the second largest lysine producer or some poo poo. and the largest dextrose producer!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

slurm posted:

is korean worth learning

if you are ethnically korean yes. otherwise no, everyone korean who ventures out of korea mostly knows english

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the writing was designed by a government committee in the 15th century to be trivial to learn. so learn away. the language is about the most different from english you can get and still have an industrial civilized society using it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hangeul was also dead for a few centuries before they started having european state-style nationalism in korea and they realized that it was hella good for doing nationalism with. you can deffo use it to hate on the japanese specifically, useful in the colonial era

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
your default korean meal is rice, soup, and 2 - 70 side dishes, kimchi one of them. 70 is for special occasions and haute cuisine, realistically 8 tops

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, we killed the first conlang syllabiary for centuries cuz they didnt want peasants learning to read basically

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
apparently ikea's longstanding 5 sek (50 cent) hot dog has had its price raised to 7 sek

costco remains

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/APllxA/ikea-hojer-priset-pa-varmkorvsfavoriten

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
distinctly recalled that S in costco sizing was bigger than XXL in korean sizing

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its worse, pulmuone

not by a lot tho. the vegan brands are a lot worse

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

skipdogg posted:

We get way too many kids for this, but maybe one year I’ll splurge.

We bought 2 big bags of chocolate candy and 2 bags of the not chocolate and it was almost 80 bucks. That generally gets me through the kids we get.

i did this once and the trouble is the kids figure out you're giving out the good stuff so more kids come, so you can't rely on estimates from previous years to calculate how many kids are coming. i estimated about double the usual and it was about right

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
buy 30 sets of sheets and change em out every day

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the low prices are due to squeezing the poo poo out of vendors. coca cola refuses to be squeezed, pepsi acquiesces. thats the rub friend

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Zero VGS posted:

This is the weirdest gimmick I’ve ever seen. Is there a doppelgänger of you who’s this deranged about sauerkraut?

theyre not even korean, too, lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
your assumption is that anything tasty has an maoi interaction. cheese, cured meats, kimchi, etc

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hangook just means "korea". hankook tire = "korea tires". hankook kimchi = "korea kimchi"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah theres no rigorous equivalent of the hard g unaspirated sound. theres aspirated k and half-aspirated half-g half-k

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
jongga only has one ㄱ

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
but in turn western influence on the seoul accent (the prestige accent) has decreased that half aspiration quality to the point that if you listen to north korean broadcasts, which affect the old seoul accent for legitimacy reasons, they sound materially different from a modern seoul accent

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Tokelau All Star posted:

My wife didn't grow up around it so I put the jar in a ziploc bag like it's weed. Much like weed, you can still smell it.

actual koreans deal with this by getting a purpose-built second fridge just for kimchi. multiple samsung and lg brands for it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
your mistake is not searching in korean

https://masism.kr/1622?ckattempt=1

"Kimchi Coolpis"

second pic has an english label

"Kimchi ramune"

"Kimchi cocktail"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

gimchilo hasdogeu 1.50 gagyeog ollimyeon jug-yeobeolilgeoya

(김치로 핫도그 1.50 가격 올리면 죽여버릴거야)

wrong honorific register. insults and death threats deffo go in 반말, which i guess the autotranslate caught for most of it but eh

핫도그값 올리면 죽어버릴거야