Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Hollismason posted:

How good is the Costco delivery from their website? I was thinking of buying a membership.

It's the same as any other online shopping delivery, which is to say it's fine. I've ordered a sectional couch and a large TV from their website and they were both safely and competently delivered.

Just be aware that while shipping is "free", the online price for many items is somewhat-to-significantly higher than what you'll find in the warehouse as a way to roll in and disguise the shipping cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Kirkland Signature Mixed Nut Butter is awesome.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wonderllama posted:

This happens too, as carbon deposits over time will increase the compression ratio in the cylinders and make the car knock on lesser octane gas.

If you have enough carbon buildup to meaningfully increase the compression ratio, what are you driving? A top fuel dragster? I can't imagine this is an issue with any gasonline engines available in normal cars outside of the past 40 years, other than when direct injection was first being figured out. Even then, I can't imagine there's be enough buildup to actually require a higher octane.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I bought some seasoning a month ago and it’s gross as gently caress. Not spoiled just lovely.

Can I return it?

You sure can.

Which seasoning are you talking about, so we know to steer clear?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The truffle Parmesan black pepper garlic seasoning.

I make an awesome popcorn with fresh parm and truffle oil and black pepper. I thought this would be acceptable for when I was being lazy.

It is absolutely not.

Ha, somehow I knew it was gonna be this stuff. I actually have a container of it in my spice rack and absolutely love it, but my wife finds it utterly revolting and I can't even use it around her. I figured it would be something polarizing like that.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

StormDrain posted:

Is it pot pie season? I have a sad friend who needs comfort food.

It is pot pie season, and they were giving out samples of it when I went to church this past Saturday. It was better than I remember!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

redreader posted:

What are the absolute top tier family entrees from costco? I'm married with kids and sometimes want to just take something from the freezer and put it in the oven. I love the lasagne but my wife is getting sick of it. And what are the best frozen chicken breasts/nuggets? are any of them not reconstituted meat? The Tyson ones are.

The Tyson panko breaded thin cut chicken breasts are not precooked, they come raw, and they're excellent. Not sure if they're reconstituted like a big raw chicken nugget but I'm not a fan of that type of meat either and these are really good.

We love the fresh meat loaf/mashed potato entree in the deli section. It does take a long time to get up to temperature though, and the mashed potatoes are absolutely swimming in butter (which is why they're so good).

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Visited the 'Co this past weekend and we couldn't decide between the chicken pot pie or the sheperd's pie for dinner. Having found the pot pie bland some years back we ended up going with the sheperd's and it was an excellent decision - this thing is delicious.

I wonder how laborious/annoying they are to make.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

lol I know how to make a shepherd's pie, I mean how laborious it is for the Costco employees who have to crank them out. Compared to the bitching and moaning about all the steps in making pumpkin pies earlier in this thread.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Renegret posted:

I love Chef John.

I keepa a few of his recipes in my back pocket and they're always a hit. His stuffed pepper recipe single handedly managed to change my wife's mind on peppers.

And his butternut squash soup never fails to satisfy.

Chef John taught me to debone a turkey, which I've done twice now. It's hard as hell but very worth it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

numberoneposter posted:

Last time I went to Costco they had local mussels for half the price that they would be elsewhere.

The cod and and salmon is also a good deal, but you sure do get a lot of fish. The cod freezers well enough though.

Last time I bought a pack of drumsticks I got tired of how much chicken I had to go through lol.

The pre-portioned frozen salmon filets are excellent, and just as good as the fresh large whole filets sold in the meat cooler area. They cook well straight from frozen, too - just don't put the heat too high (I cook them at 350) to avoid any of the albumen pushing its way out. Takes longer but the results are infinitely better.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bagmonkey posted:

the cherry blossom is loving TERRIBLE, the absolute worst seltzer I've ever fuckin tried. I love seltzer and think that haters gonna hate, but that cherry blossom flavor makes me reconsider

QFT, the cherry blossom is the worst I've ever had in my entire life as well. Tastes like someone regurgitated Robitussin into the vat of seltzer.

Spindrift owns, especially their tea/lemonade combo.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Kimchi omelets are really good

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

I wouldn't buy a domestic brand because they no longer discount. If you can buy a foreign brand for MSRP, you're better off because they never really discounted much in the first place.

I don't know, a few months ago we bought a Ford Explorer for a little under MSRP because every import dealer around here not only wouldn't discount but was putting $6k-10k market adjustments on the stickers of pretty much everything on the lot (of which there was not much).

I guess the chip shortage is mostly remedied now but it'll take some time for dealer inventories to catch up, so caveat emptor.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

Kirkland "Super Premium" Vanilla Ice Cream

Disappointing, if you call something super premium I'm expecting at least Ben & Jerry's or Haagen Dazs level of density. But I guess they took out the air and replaced it with some filler that has the consistency of melted bubblegum or low-viscosity Silly Putty.

For the $15 we would have been better off with three tubs of Breyers, honestly.

Maybe they changed the recipe but that is some of the best premium ice cream I've ever had - extremely dense, rich, and delicious. It's got a few gums like any mass-produced product but it's worlds better than Breyers or any of that garbage. Easily outclasses Ben & Jerry's and Haagen-Daaz imo.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've had my eye on an OLED TV for a while now and it was $1299 for a time. A few months ago I checked and it had gone up to $1399 which I was bummed about but figured I'd just deal with it when it came time to buy. Well the time came to buy and it was $1299! Thanks, Super Bowl TV sales! Thanks, Costco!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

redreader posted:

Is any of the frozen breaded chicken, not reconstituted meat? Like an actual chicken breast, breaded? Which brand has that?

The Tyson panko breaded chicken tenderloins are real chicken and absolutely terrific.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tiny Timbs posted:

My J7+ does a ton better than my i3 at dealing with the wooden main floor with two hairy dogs, and its obstacle avoiding features are pretty solid. No more pushing dog toys into weird areas.

Do not bother with the mops. There are very few robots that do more than push a lovely swiffer pad around and that doesn’t cut it.

We have a J7 and it does a great job on our hardwood main level which, while we don't have pets, is essentially always covered in a fine dust of crumbs from our two toddlers.

We also have a Bravva Jet m6 robomop for the same area to take care of the accompanying fine sheen of spilled milk/juice/etc that gets everywhere as well. While it's not perfect, it absolutely does the job and leaves the floor nice and shiny. Occasionally we'll have to manually mop the most high-traffic and heavy use areas, but that's like once every other month since we run the mop every other day or so. Totally worth it, in my opinion, but childless or petless people might disagree.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I only ever ordered my food court items at the register and was appalled when they got rid of the option to do so, after the self-serve kiosks were installed.

I mean if you know what you want (and you should, as the "menu" isn't exactly expansive) it only takes two seconds to place an order but then I have to get out my credit card again when previously I only had to do so once. Efficiency, ya know?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That article sounds like the chinese food syndrome panic all over again. Pass me the chicken.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Molten Llama posted:

The Philips Hue deals are usually pretty decent when they work, which they often don't because Philips is as bad at websites as Costco is.

I don't even see Philips on the Costco Next site which is a shame because I've been fitting my whole house with that stuff and it's not cheap.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Not sure what the brand is but we got a pack of everything-seasoned breaded cod filets this past weekend and had some last night. They're really good.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Anyone buy the Costco futons before? They aren't in store right now but we are thinking about replacing our current one after we move. They seem decent in store and was wondering if anyone tried them before.

Are you talking about the brown leather-ish one with two plugs and two USB outlets on the side, with the shiny metal bottom frame? It's like $500 or $600?

If so, I have one, and it's incredible. I was "lucky" enough to snag one when they were $300 several years ago and it's held up like a champ with daily use. It still looks brand new - highly recommended.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The gyro kit was a lot better than I was expecting, and they give you a mountain of meat. Great easy meal for the price.

Am I missing something about the excess of onions mentioned earlier in the thread though? They're in a separate container, so you can choose how many you want on your gyro, no?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Onions are finally back (in a plastic ramekin in the cooler, and you have to ask, but still...they're back!) at the closest Costco to me. It seems like such a small thing, but they really do make a world of difference on the dogs. Little bit of crunch, sweetness, bite...just perfect. If they brought back the deli mustard, all would be right in the world.

The new mango smoothie is absolutely terrible. The berry smoothie was a million times better - bring it back!!

My biggest gripe right now is the induction range I ordered a month and a half ago on June 3rd. Delivery was scheduled for today, July 18th, which was no problem as I could wait.

My intrepid wife sold our existing range and the buyers picked it up merely a half hour before the delivery window of 5:30-7:30.

It's now almost 10pm and no delivery - just a big gaping hole where the old range used to be. I can't even cook myself the quesadilla I wanted to have.

My faith is shaken, but remains strong.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Local 'Co recently started carrying the Jongga kimchi and man, this poo poo is good. I've been putting it on everything and just eating it straight.

A kimchi and smoked gouda quesadilla was the best thing I've made in a while.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nthing Breville Smart Oven, we use ours at least twice a day and sometimes more. Actually I currently have nugs cooking in it right now for my anklebiters.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Heffer posted:

Having a 10 am dog. Miss you Deli Mustard.

QFT, RIP.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

StormDrain posted:

Has anyone looked for and noticed Vanilla beans (whole bean) lately? Curious if they carry it and whether or not its a waste of time to look.

I also regularly see 2-packs of whole vanilla beans available at the 'Co closest to me.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

drat I wanted the Tiramisu so bad but the wife over ruled and we got the chocolate mouse instead.

Honestly you're not missing out, those tiramisu cups just aren't very good. Not enough coffee and too cakey.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

If I had a nickel for every time I saw it spelled "convience"...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Does anyone know where I can get the Tyson panko-breaded raw chicken tenderloins that isn't Costco? I buy a couple bags every time I go but I just ran out and won't be making a trip to Costco until next month probably (it's far). I've never seen it at any grocery store or food-selling retail location other than Costco anywhere.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Most Blue Diamond flavors are good but the Elote (which is one of my favorite flavor profiles) are so incredibly bland and suck hard, avoid at all costs.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

maybe the take and bake crust won't be such garbage this time. fingers crossed!!

Yeah Costco's old take and bake pizzas was one of the worst pizzas I've ever eaten, and I looooooove pizza. Hopefully this will be better.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Home Run Inn best frozen pizza.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The little plastic ramekins of onions they offer now are a poor substitute for the onion crank. They're practically transparent from sitting in the cooler for days, and have lost almost all of their pungency and bite.

At the same time, any onions on a Costco dog are still better than no onions, so.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

One purchase of parchment paper (a 2-pack) will likely last longer than my own lifespan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

god I hate foods that are sweet for no good reason, then you look at the nutritional content and see it has 8g of added sugar in something that's ostensibly completely savory