Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Question for anyone who might know: Does Costco's acceptance of Visa cards only extend to Apple/Google/Samsung/Whatever Pay NFC stuff?

Very nearly all of our financial institutions are MasterCard save one extremely tiny credit card used for emergencies, so this is another thing that could be an issue if I was moving some of my trips from Sams to there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Do the Costco door guys check every item or something?

With Sam's I'm using the mobile pay system where you can barcodes as you put stuff in your cart, and the person at the door scans the QR code on my phone, then scans three random things to see that they were included in the receipt, and tells me I'm good to go. Some items were buried invisible, but they scanned their three items and let me go.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It actually does help customers. My aunt was a receipt checker for Price Club (OG Costco in many places), and the cashiers hated how often she caught their mistakes.

Lat month I talked about my hometown Price Club and Costco shutting it down and building a new warehouse feet away a few years later, and how it always stumped me why that happened.

I learned: some (not all) Price Clubs were unionized, so Costco shut down those stores.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 1, 2023

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Wendigee posted:

It's fine. The only problem is that the Walton's own it and they are garbage humans.

It's good one exists to keep the other competitive.

I maybe wouldn't have mobile phone barcode scan shopping in the store, mobile ordering for the cafe, and discounts on Plus memberships if Sam's didn't have a competitor. I went to it because my health plan gave the membership for free, but the reason most goons dislike it is probably what keeps me coming back: it's basically a warehouse add-on to the Walmart+ membership that I've already had for three years.

For all the labor issues, the benefit of Sam's is the amount of technology replacing labor entirely. Costco's web site can't even tell me what's in my local store.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Zero VGS posted:

I'll take the poo poo website over the Wal-Mart that I just went to where it was 100% self-checkout.

Do you grab boxes while you shop at Costco to pack your things into? Because the way I handle Walmart is I take my own bags, and akin to a warehouse club how you'd go to Costco and arrange stuff in boxes while shopping, I'm scanning barcodes with my phone while bagging them right there, and then with mobile checkout I just scan a QR code I'm out. If I have to use cash or coupons or EBT, I can have the mobile cart transferred to the self checkout thing.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 16, 2024

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Curtana posted:

Full time employment tends to mean a full 40 hours a week, while 39.5 hours a week lets them claim you're part time. (...) this can alter your eligibility for benefits including health

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/employers/identifying-full-time-employees

The IRS posted:

For purposes of the employer shared responsibility provisions, a full-time employee is, for a calendar month, an employee employed on average at least 30 hours of service per week, or 130 hours of service per month.
I've only ever applied to work at one big huge multinational corporation that set hours for me, and they gave health benefits and the like at 30 hours, including part-timers who regularly worked extra hours to hit 30 hours. Nobody will let you work over 40 hours without approval from management because nobody wants to pay out 1.5x when they could pay a different person 1x to work for that hour.

For what it's worth, this big huge corporation has very few people at this workplace working 40 hours at all, including people with full benefits usually working like 35.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 16, 2024