Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

dphi posted:

Oh hey that's my local Costco :hfive:

Howdy, Oregoon. My Costco is in Beaverton; I think it’s one of the og stores. I hit up the one in Hillsboro every now and then. It’s like going from the Enchanted Forest to Disneyworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

is this place cool or not I can't tell

A friend of mine who grew up here told me Enchanted Forest is awesome at two points in life: when you’re 8, and when you’re 18 (and on shrooms).

My kid has fond memories of the place, but it really is focused towards the younger crowd. I have a couple more years before she gives it a go on Kirkland signature shrooms.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
It’s great on watermelon. It’s a fun trial and error spice; definitely does not work on everything.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Alucard posted:

It's Tajjin the one with two "j"s

I smuggle Tajjin into Costco in my Kirkland signature Fanny Pack and use it to line the rim of my soda (with refill).

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I got a box of those Kirkland single-serve guacamole things on a whim. I guess they're okay with chips, but I found you can dump one of them on top of my somewhat sad WFH lunchtime turkey sandwich and it really jazzes it up.

It tastes nothing like homemade, obviously, but it's way better than I was expecting. A++ would spread on toast again.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I picked up a woozoo last year on impulse. It sits at the end of my desk quietly doing its little figure-eight. My incredibly petty complaint is the beep when you turn it off is too long and too loud.

It’s such a stupid-clever name that somehow forces itself into conversation weekly. People in my house just wanna say “woozoo.”

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Our Costco has boxes behind each register and they'll offer a box during checkout. Usually I just get it right back in the cart since most of the stuff is going to wind up in my garage's upright freezer or the pantry nearby.

I've heard tell of other Costcos where you're supposed to grab a box on the way in or from spots within the store.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
There must be, like, 93 Gs on that shelf!

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Way in the back are a few tubs of Jonggga.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Duck and Cover posted:

I doubt it but it is like 50 dollars cheaper so whatever I'll try it. When it makes weird noises and sucks I'm blaming you.

The woozoo is adorable, has a remote control, and does a little figure-8 dance if you have both up/down and left-right oscillations enabled. On medium and from at arm's length it's very quiet and feels like a gentle breeze.

The vornado is an expensive, made in the USA powerhouse that has 3 buttons (you'll only need the first) and shifts air like nobody's business. On low and from across the room it feels like it's going to blast a layer of skin off my face, and sounds like... zzzzzzzzz. Sorry, I like to sleep to "fan noise."

Vornado bonus point: once you find this one hidden screw (very bottom, in a deep well), the thing comes apart easily for cleaning. Haven't had to clean out the Woozoo, but it looks like there are tabs on the back you can press to make the front grille pop off? If so, the Woozoo might wind up with extra bonus points for tool-free maintenance.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

On sale, pbuc

zoomin' in to count the Gs.

[fake edit] Two (2) Gs. PBUC.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

PokeJoe posted:

Putting baby carrots in a cooked dish is a minor foodcrime

I tried a pot pie a while back and the filling consisted of one roughly split chicken breast and maybe 2 pounds of what I imagine when I hear the term "machine separated chicken." Just a paste that used to be a bird. Like that Jamie Oliver YouTube video that fails to convince kids not to eat chicky nugs.

Add a couple pie crusts and a pint of heavy cream next time you're at the grocery store. Make your own pot pie AND your own pumpkin pie; they're really not that hard. I usually make two pumpkin pies at a time and put one in the freezer. Alternatively, grab a couple frozen mini pot pies for nostalgia if you grew up during a time those were considered a treat, like me.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
The nice lady who runs the bento place down the street and makes her own kimchi weekly always makes sure to ask if I really want kimchi on Sundays. "Are you sure? It's going to be ripe. I make it on Mondays." Her kimchi isn't too ripe for me, but my wife usually passes.

The Jongga (with 2 'g's) is super, super mild compared to other kimchi I've had, and it's hella ripe. Pronounced fizzyness in every bite. I'm just glad the spiciness is toned down compared to my usual fare; it's going to make some great kimchi fried rice today.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

My wife was at costco like 20 minutes after I made the post and she couldn't find meatloaf, ravioli lasagne or mac and cheese in the frozen section. She couldn't even find the evol frozen meal 4-pack we normally get. Thanks for the recommendations though, we'll look again next time.

Your first 3 are in the fresh food section (back wall in my Costco).
The fresh tortellini are nearby, so are the 2-packs of flautas, which go great with some soup (chicken tortilla?).

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Dunk Bot 3000 posted:

tortellini is early spring/summer and gets replaced by chicken noodle soup for fall/winter, rip

The tortellini pasta is good, but the old Greek chicken pasta (made with rotisserie chicken) was better.

Had an anticipation yesterday was going to end in “nobody wants to cook” hangriness, so I tossed a frozen Kirkland lasagna in the oven at 4:30 (two pack, not the giant one). Nobody went hungry and there were leftovers for lunch today.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
We got a little bottle of Penzey's Frozen Pizza Seasoning thrown into our bag for free one day while spice shopping (how bougie). It's a salt-free mix of oregano, garlic and such. A sprinkle of that gets some life out of the sauce and cheese, but there's not much you can do about the crust.

Get the cheese pizza and top it with the pepperoni you keep in your deli drawer and eat a couple slices of every time you open the fridge.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I used to clip a Papa Murphy's coupon from our junk mail once a week. It got us a hefty half-pep, half-black olive pizza, salad and cookie dough for right around $20. Non-Dominos pizzas start at $18 around here. The salad was okay but sometimes a little on the wilted side. Cookie dough was a genius idea. The oven's already hot, why not make cookies?

Come pandemic time they really struggled with the volume of people who were suddenly very interested in dining in.

I like my pizza well-done, so we'd cook it @425 for 13-15, but take it off the tray and let it sit right on the rack or the middle would be cooked, but mushy.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
"Good" couches are tough to find. The cheap Costco stuff is fine, but apparently they don't hold up for too long. Kids and pets can accelerate the decline. "High end" couches still feel cheap as all hell, but they have electric recliners, USB ports and poo poo I don't want. We spent too much money on a Costco LoveSac Sectional a couple years ago. It's built like a tank. I recently had to spend ~10 days sleeping on it due to a COVID thing and it wasn't just a good night sleep for a couch, it was a good night sleep, period.

We've been in the market for a new dining table for years and haven't found anything. A friend needed a conference table for her tiny startup and picked up a 100-year-old Misson-style dining room table from Habitat for Humanity ReStore for $7; the legs had separated from the tabletop, which she fixed with 3 nails. It needs some cosmetic work, but not much. I may have popped a blood vessel.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I did a whole write up (maybe in this thread) about the LoveSac deal a while back. It boils down to:

Let's say an 8-piece LoveSac sectional costs $X.
The Costco deal: for just about $X you get a 6-piece (in a limited number of fabrics/textures) with two wooden cupholders; a nifty wooden thing that turns any seat into a coffee table; 2 regular sized pillows and 2 big pillows made out of your choice of LoveSac fabric; 2 better-than-sherpa (FIGHT ME) blankets that have pockets where you can put your feet; 1 regular sized lovesac with a matching ottoman.

That was the deal coming up on 3 years ago. They may have changed it since then.

Assembly was hilarious. They ship each arm/back, bottom, and cushions separately. It's a shitload of cardboard. Each piece is also naked, and you need to slip the covers over your creations.

The arms and bottoms are built like nothing I've ever seen. Once you decide on a layout, you line an arm/back up with a bottom and there's this huge iron C-clamp you stomp into place. They advertise it as something you can rearrange all you'd like, but I think we've only made one adjustment in ~3 years.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Lovesac 6 Seats/8 Sides Corded Velvet Sactional Storage Bundle
$7,049.99

jfc

I want to say it was $5k (for the Costco bundle) in 2020

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
My Costco had TP stacked up down the middle of three side aisles last time I was there. I saw a handful of people loading 2 packs into their carts. We're full-up on TP, but I gave pause: can one ever be full-up on TP?

Maybe the Saudis are going to pause TP production this fall and we'll start finding "I did that!" stickers pointing to empty TP rolls in restrooms.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Didn't have room in the fridge for the pupusas, so I tossed 'em in the upright freezer. Put them right on the rack of our convection oven (I was heating up all 5) and they warmed up nicely, but a little tough. My wife likes the insides to be melt-your-face-off hot, so she put them in the microwave for a little and it helped the texture. Obviously they can take a beating and about the only thing you probably shouldn't do is boil them.

They're wider/longer than the ones we get at the pupusaria, but less stuffed. I thought they were pretty good.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Wipes are great well into kindergarten. At some point you stop using them on they butts and start using them on faces & hands.

My kid is a teenager and I’ll still instinctively reach for the wipes in the car from time to time, even though there haven’t been wipes in there for a decade.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
They’ve recently put a bunch of European chocolates out for Christmas, but a bunch of them do NOT have Christmas decorations. Might make a good mom gift.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I have the thread-controversial upright stable; it houses 4 horses vertically, but you can squeeze 5-6 in there if you interlock their legs.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Bavarian Meats are all over the place in Seattle. I think they’re the official hot dog of the Mariners or something. In PDX they’re a pleasant surprise.

We had one sack of landjaegers go south on us and grow something. I think the bag says consume within 3 days of opening, which isn’t quite doable in our house, but we aspire to the challenge.

Thinking about picking up the Solo stove knock-off to replace our thrice handed down fire pit. Anyone have it?

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

You should be buying the wildbrine sauerkraut at costco too. They live next to each other in my fridge

”wildbrine, the one with two i’s…”

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Get some Topo Chico, take a sip then add some fruity infused vodka to it. Better than a croix, better than white claw.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Tokelau All Star posted:

Edit: Went to Costco yesterday, got a dog advent calendar [...]

...with refill?

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-extra-fancy-mixed-nuts%2C-2.5-lbs.product.100324317.html

Picked this up a few days ago and it’s nearly 2/3rds gone. All killer, no filler. My wife tossed some raisins and m&ms in with them and created a trail mix so extra fancy it made my monocle pop off my face.

Avoid if you can. Jesus didn’t mean for us to have all the good nuts, all at once.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Bum the Sad posted:

lol that's a 7000 calorie jar. Hopefully Costco sells Rascal scooters.

Yeah. Basically we as a family of three have had an extra meal or so per day for the last week consisting entirely of (extra fancy) nuts. Self-control is winning out, but the damage has already been done.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Do you have to tip those people?

We had full service gas stations here in the 80s and I remember my mom always tipping them.

A long, looong time ago gas stations in PA had self-service and full-service, where "full" meant they'd do the windows, maybe even check fluids, that sort of thing. You tipped at full-service.

Over the river in NJ, they had full-serve and mini-serve, where "mini" meant they pumped your gas and that was that. No tips on mini.

Here in OR everything is mini-serve. They put the gas in the gas hole. Maybe 2x in 20 years has someone cleaned a windshield for me (I've never asked). No tips.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I think all of the Winix they sell have two years of filters?

Yeah, my Winix came with 2 HEPA filters (to change annually) and a ton of carbon pre-filters (to change every couple months). I popped a third HEPA into it this week (happy 3 years of COVID lockdown!). Sucks that Costco doesn't sell 'em, but you can get all sorts of suspect deals on them at Amazon and maybe even Ali.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

It's :10bux: off and only $35 (shipped) for one filter. That's $25 cheaper than ordering from Winix! Seems reasonable.
I bought a pair of what they claim are "True HEPA" filters off Amazon for $22, shipped.

I can't vouch for their effectiveness at taking pollens out of the air or anything, but the lights change color when we cook and each filter layer -- screen, charcoal, HEPA -- gets plenty dirty over time.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
We got a Costco deal on our Sactional in 2020. It’s spendy but I’d do it again. They’re built like tanks. I’ve written extensively about love sacs in this very thread, so maybe try clicking the thing that shows my posts here?

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I’m on my iPad and the Amazon app is being difficult, but they’ve got a knockoff Winix replacement filter plus 4 charcoal pre filters for $19.99. A far cry from the $50 Winix charges. Just look for “C545 H13 True HEPA Replacement Filter S Compatible with Winix C545 Air Purifier, Replaces Winix S Filter 1712-0096-00, 1 True HEPA Filter + 4 Activated Carbon Filters 1 Pack”

I imagine you can get better deals buying like a 6-pack or something. I paid a couple bucks more than above and got it same day, which was nice.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

went to costco on sunday and it was the busiest ive ever seen it. had to drive around in a bit and then just wait for a dude to load up his car to even get parking and the store was jammed. thankfully they had tons of checkout people so the long line moved pretty quick. made the critical error of ordering a cheese pizza slice at the food court and that probably took the longest.

I drove by our Costco intent on visiting Sunday as well. Not only was the parking lot full, entire lanes of the parking lot were backed up with cars. Everybody needs their Easter Ham I guess (me too!). I opted to go to the grocery store instead.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

Anybody else's wife loads the dishwasher like an absolute loving psychopath?

I read somewhere that the true sign of a psychopath is re-arranging the dishes someone else put in the dishwasher. I often think about this as I flip all the bowls and occasional ladle my wife tossed in our dishwasher open-end up.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
lol if you don't eat your food and its packaging: kiwi fruit, avocados, bananas, cup noodles, full sleeves of bagels...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Super deal alert, flannel king size in Boston for $19.97

Is the 97 cents some kinda clearance thing like they do at Walmart?

Pretty sure we have these. They're crazy warm and incredibly comfy. Makes waking up on cold mornings in January really, really tough.