Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only thing I'm salty about is that the newest Costco that opened by me doesn't have diesel. But they do have twice as many pumps as normal and I've literally never had to wait in line when getting gas there because there's always some pumps open, usually even on the same side so I don't have to drag the hose around the car.

They also set it up with wider aisles and enough space between the pumps that it's easy to pull in/out around someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Does yours have the indicator lights telling you when the forward pump is open? It blew my mind when I read in one of the previous threads that there are Costcos where you'll get shived for trying to "cut".

This new one does, yes. Four lights for each side of each row. And yet there will still be a line of a handful of dipshits who won't drive around to an empty pump or fill up on the "wrong" side, but there's plenty of room to drive around them.

Even at the stations that aren't set up like this, though, I've never seen anyone get mad for someone trying to fill in an empty pump instead of waiting for both cars to clear.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

- the only loving store left in the world that hasn't upgraded their POS to card/phone RFID tap. You have to insert a credit card.

Them, Lowes, and Walmart. I avoid all three as much as I can, and surprise, those are also the three stores around here that lean hardest into "self checkout is the only checkout" bullshit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup. I saw a few new signs up at my Costco the other day, but at least personally didn't see any different behavior.

The reactions in those news stories is something else too. I'm not going to get mad at Costco for enforcing their long-held rules, but apparently some people are also mad at the idea that others have been shopping Costco without being members.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

When I tried to get a car battery at Costco they didn't have the kind I needed and were like "sorry, that sucks"

This I believe, they don't carry a huge selection of battery fitments.

Funny enough, for a long time if I looked my truck up on their site, it would claim they didn't carry the battery, despite literally using a picture of an H8 battery on the front page of their battery finder. But now it does say they do carry the battery I bought there two years ago!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If a TPMS issue sets a check engine light, it should only be for reasons well outside the realm of a tire shop's purview - i.e. the TPMS computer itself isn't communicating properly with the rest of the car.

Tire shops just make sure the sensor itself is reporting, paired, and not leaking air. None of those should ever set a check engine light on any car even if they are not done right.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Booooooooo. I'm not hugely surprised since of course this is the only way things go and Costco is/was the last company to offer that kind of warranty on batteries.

They're at least still significantly cheaper than everyone but Walmart:

Costco: $169.99 + $15 core
Walmart: $179.84 + $14? core
Napa: $249.99 + $18 core
Autozone and OReilly: $249.99 + $22 core
Advance/Carquest: $254.99 + $22 core

Part of me wonders if spending an extra $10 is worth it to deal with Walmart instead since they're open 24x7 and in far more locations, but it's been a decade+ since I've had the combination of "a dead battery now" and "I have to solve this overnight".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Brain Curry posted:

What kind of battery is this? I’m curious how much aaa charges for theirs

I swore I had it in there but apparently deleted it in one of my edits. H8 AGM, 2018 GMC Canyon Diesel if you need to search by application.

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

Walmart isn’t open 24 hours anymore. They got rid of it during the pandemic and never brought it back.

Well then there goes that excuse. And agreed on the general sentiment around Walmart, that is literally my last choice option for shopping.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Humidifiers are universally disgusting.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

When did Costco start doing photo ID cards? The cashier hassled me about my non-photo one today.

Literally as long as I can remember.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

binge crotching posted:

I've only used an older sleep number, but it feels like sleeping on an air mattress with a mattress topper on it.

Yeah, I've hated every one of those I've slept on. Absolutely do not understand the hype.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I replaced it with an LG in early 2022. That was the height of the chip shortage/supply chain issues so only the Korean brands (LG, Samsung) actually had units available for purchase. Bosch was a year out. As it turns out though it's a quite good unit and I'm rather happy with it.

Somewhat notably the LG does not have a heat element for drying (I don't know how common this is across brands) so it relies on using rinse aid. But a bottle of Jet Dry lasts like a year or something and only needs to be filled every couple of months. On the plus side, it's safe to put plastics anywhere in the dishwasher (not just top rack) and it fits a lot of stuff.

I bought my LG earlier this year because of the combination of "it was on sale at church" and "Bosch still had ridiculous wait times" to replace the Kitchenaid the PO put in maybe three years earlier. The Kitchenaid was some super fancy model but it loving sucked at actually cleaning dishes.

The LG? Cleanest dishes I've ever seen. The ones at Costco all have heated dry as far as I can tell.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

General Probe posted:

Oh yeah we've been getting these, $12.99 a bag recently. Apparently they can be very expensive so it's a good deal. Not much fruit in them but they are very tasty.

Lowtax ghost spotted

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

norp posted:

Presumably the suppliers do this to not piss off other retailers that have price matching/beating policies.

Possibly, though most (all?) places that offer price matching specifically won't price match Costco and other membership clubs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FishBowlRobot posted:

There’s a Costco grand opening near me tomorrow. Is that something worth going to? Do they usually have any special deals or anything?

They handed out tiny Costco carts when the one by me opened up a year-ish ago.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

The thing is while there are opportunities to save at other places (especially when they do sales) I like the more consistent quality and average price of Costco.

Do gas stations have cheaper gas than Costco? Yes sometimes but on average Costco seems to be cheaper and I'm already there getting stuff. We fill up two cars at Costco and plus the 4% back, it makes our executive membership worth it alone.

I can't think of the last time I saw any station beat Costco here on gas. Doubly so if you use premium.

I just wish any of the Costco stores less than an hour from me sold diesel.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Right, it's not an insurmountable problem. But it's an annoyance that stands out for a store whose business philosophy is ostensibly to make being in their store as not-a-pain-in-the-rear end as possible to move large amounts of products. Another way to ignore them is to shop somewhere else where they don't bother you constantly with these salespeople, which becomes a more attractive strategy every time I am in the store.

Just sucks to see Costco self-enshittifying this way.

At mine it's been the mobile kiosk guys practically standing in the middle of the aisle. It's to the point where I just route around via appliances instead.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Three month old Shark vacuum died today so had to go to Church on Christmas Eve to return and buy another. Expected an absolute madhouse.

Nope, it was borderline dead. Way less traffic than even a normal Sunday. Could've been in and out in record time if we hadn't done some wandering around as well just because.

PBUC.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

thathonkey posted:

we got this for our nephew. it's super cool and very detailed art. we had a lot of fun noticing some of the kirky items we get regularly while doing it

I read this as kinky at first and wondered what kind of Costco you shop at.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

norp posted:

Now that I think about it the difference is probably requiring a plumber/electrical callout to swap them over since we have 240v @10A from a standard outlet.

Nah, of the appliances mentioned, the dishwasher is the only one where in an older house it might be hardwired instead of plugged. We don't get 240V at standard receptacles but any house wired for an electric dryer has a dedicated high-current 240V circuit and receptacle for it.

With that said, while a slide-in range and a dishwasher might not be truly "built in", I've never heard of those not being included in a house sale. Laundry and fridge are a tossup that I've had go both ways.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

frogbs posted:

Does anyone know if Costco carries batteries that aren't specifically for cars? I need a 120ah Sealed Lead Acid battery for a sump pump. I know I can get one from INterstate Battery, but it's like $300 there, was hoping Costco might have something cheaper. Should I just call the tire center?

I've seen golf cart batteries there but I have no idea if those are sealed or just regular vented lead acid.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Picked up the mushroom and truffle pizzas the other day - they are exceptionally good for a frozen pizza.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

The way the self checkout lady announces "THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING AT COST CO" is weird everytime.

Good, I'm not the only one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

binge crotching posted:

15c/kwh at Costco is a good price though, and not much more than you'd pay at home. If you're paying 50c or something at EA then yeah it's the same price as just paying for gas.

That's going to be highly regional. Here in AZ, 15c/kWh would be higher than any electric rate except for summer peak hours, and it'd be double the overnight "super off-peak" hours offered to EV customers.

Given that most newer EVs are pushing 200+ miles of range, destination charging should be something you're only doing if it's literally free or on road trips.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fatrick posted:

Is that where you hide the corpses of your culinary abortions?

He hides nothing, he puts them on full display here. We are all guilty.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Professional cyclists mostly don't bother either. It's more of a superstition than anything measurable. At best it doesn't hurt.

The only people who care about nitrogen in an actually measurable way are also concerned about their tire pressure to the .1 psi (aka racecar engineers). It's harmless but also pointless in a street driven car.

I do want to find that quick-connect tire chuck Costco has on their filling stations, that's neat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Most blessed Costco parking lot ever, complete with four-deep gas station with extra-wide lanes.

PBUC.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jorath posted:

Weird. Mine has gone from 6 to 12, so there's never a wait for self-check.
They stopped doing the "show a human your card" thing in only 3 weeks last year. I wonder how many complaints they got about that policy?

Not enough for it to be a corporate change, I still get asked to show mine every time I use self checkout.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Checks out, that would've been before Costco started limiting returns on some categories.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

thathonkey posted:

finally running out of the costco plastic wrap roll that i feel like we have had for pushing a decade. got a new 2 pack. heres to another 20 yrs

I bought a box of regular envelopes probably 20+ years ago when I needed to file taxes.

I'm fairly certain at least half of them will still be there by the time I kick the bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

abravemoose posted:

Oh no... it's back

Time to get six
teen bags

You load sixteen bags, and what do you get