Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I've posted in the previous threads about how I have a unique sort of way I deal with our Costco's tire center in that I deal in vehicles that weren't sold in the United States. This means Costco doesn't want to touch them as they aren't in their computer systems, are right hand drive, and just generally weird. The people working at the tire center understand perfectly, it's a bureaucracy thing. The loophole is you can bring them loose wheels, rather than an entire vehicle, and get tires installed without issue. I'm doing a bunch of work on these vehicles anyway so me bringing wheels that I have to install on the vehicle itself is of no issue with me. I've done this maybe 40 times in the last 4~ years and have a good rapport with the people there.

This time we have a peculiar vehicle even for us regarding its tire requirements, a completely stock 1995 JZX90 Toyota Chaser Tourer V. It looks like a Camry to most United States eyes, but has a twin turbo straight six (1JZ-GTE) under the hood. This means, unlike normal-spec X90s, it has wider tires in the rear vs the fronts. Whoops on me, since I put in an online order for four tires of the same size since I looked at the fronts only and wasn't until I was washing the car I noticed the rears were different and found out about the staggering. Not a big deal, I go into the tire center to explain and order a correct set. The guy does whatever magic it is they do with getting tires as this is a 1995 with 16s, small for today, but they must be good tires as the power this car puts down demands it. He finds both a front and rear matching set with their correct sizes, should be in about a week.

A week later get a call, the tires for the front arrived but the date code indicates they were manufactured in 2018, the boys at Costco went "lol no" and sent them back, and were calling me to tell me this, and it will be another week. This rules since I would have done the same thing, but they already knew and took it upon themselves to send those old-rear end tires back.

Pictured: A much better date code

IN CLOSING, PBUC, our tire center truly rules. Your results may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

jisforjosh posted:

Edit: unsalted butter supremacy

:hmmyes:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Bad Purchase posted:

is costco a good place for appliances? the freezer half of my refrigerator stopped freezing this week. might try to get it repaired, but it's a 12 year old samsung so i assume this is about as long as it was designed to last before everything dies. replacing it might be the move.

Your refrigerator only has one thing that cools, so if the fridge part still works but your freezer doesn't then it's going to be a door issue. As in, good chance it's an easy fix.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

devmd01 posted:

I’m in the Midwest. S in anything is a rare find.

The Costco Curse :negative:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

StormDrain posted:

Going to order an induction range from Costco but I'm not sure if I want the Samsung or spend $800 more for the LG with convection. Help.

Will you miss the 800 dollars? If no, get the convection.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Super Waffle posted:

The atisanal bread rolls are fantastic, btw. They're small, square, and like a half-ciabatta/half-sourdough taste. Amazing for sandwiches and paninnis.

and the freeze very well even loosely in a ziploc bag. A stable in our house.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Toxic Mental posted:

Kitkat is a minor candy bar

That's why you get four of em'

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Those Bose wireless earbuds are good as hell, active noise cancelling is wild these days. It used to be dumb, now you can pop them in, turn them on, and just hear.... nothing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Anne Whateley posted:

I can't believe nobody mentioned these itt yet, they are unreal

My only wish is that each one had two toasted pecans on top

Maybe it was the last thread but as mentioned, we try not to talk about the things that will kill us. You meant to post the dark chocolate ones though, surely.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

bird with big dick posted:

You’re supposed to transport TVs vertically and you definitely shouldn’t put weight on them that TV is ruined, the picture will never be as good as it should be.

Nobody ever brings their new TVs home vertically transported

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dick Fontaine posted:

Awhile back I picked up a box of these haunted house gummies for $2.97

I finally got around to eating a few handfuls and they are delicious. Incredible perfect gummy texture. Good flavors. They even smell nice.

They also contain so much food coloring that I’ve been dropping disturbingly blue logs for the past couple days. Not sure if that’s a pro or a con for these things.

Woof man we got this too because lol lego gummies but you are out of your goddamned mind they tasted awful as hell. It was fun to build things with food (even though the building instructions are very not like lego at all) but even my teenage sisters-in-law did not like them at all and they love this sort of garbage on account of being teens.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Plant-based milk rules, we prefer either soy or oak strictly on it being available as: "soy/oak, water". No gums, no sweetner, nothing else. Not sure almond can carry a plant-based beverage on its own without a bit more stuff, plus almonds and water and all that.

Cow's milk is still king for cheese though, which is The Best Milk™

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Yeah like California doesn't have the water they use is the thing.
They should get some nuclear powered desalination plants, then we could all drink as much almond as we could handle.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
As it was said, each one of us lowly scrubs can't ever hope to do the damage that a single billionaire can do no matter how many lifetimes we'd exist. Enjoy your almond milk and eat the rich.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KIRKLAND
Cornelius

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dick Fontaine posted:

Thanks! These are the frozen ones, not the dry ones, so I think the prep is a bit different. Good to know that they poach about like octopus though. That opens up a lot of possibilities.

Your link says they are at least partially dehydrated, then frozen. Don't know how that changes things, maybe they do that just to shrink them down?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Johnny Truant posted:

your own experiences are not universal, hth

I am never giving up our fat king-size slab of pure latex, haters vacate

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm not gonna skimp on something like a bed tho!

NEVER skimp on your bed. :hmmyes:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Raluek posted:

can confirm, cinnamon loaf is back. i am now full as hell, and only regret it a little bit.

Also confirming, picked up some today and boy! What a delicious mistake!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

infraboy posted:

I wish the old folks in Costco had some situational awareness and realize it's idiotic to just stop in the middle of the busiest sections to chitchat with each other.

Also ran into a family of 8 that were all walking side by side down one of the main avenues and they stopped in the middle for no reason and blocked traffic both ways and took them a solid minute for the bratty kids to realize they were kind of in the way.

Did you not go "Excuse me" 'cause in every situation where someone just sits in the aisle like that either go "Oh sorry" and move or they get all mad, move, but act like it's you're fault.

They move though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

FilthyImp posted:

Imagine being so hosed up that you'd close a Costco thread

It's a supremely scrub-tier move

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Tokelau All Star posted:

Years ago when I was strapped for cash I would shop at Costco without a cart. I would only buy whatever I could carry to the register.

My better half and I do this often just to snake through the crowds when we can. A sound strategy at any grocer.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Josh Lyman posted:

Speaking of things that are out of stock, I don’t think I’ve seen Clear Care contact lens solution in over a year. I’ve had to buy it from Target. :smith:

It was in ours last month, wife uses it but naturally, we don't get it every trip.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
lol at the wood panel decals on the fridge shelf, the 70s are back but instead of a 'woody' wagon it's under my open salad bowl

c l a s s

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

acidx posted:

The last two boxes of chips I've bought at Costco have been bullshit. The bags were really empty and all the cheddar and sour cream baked chips weren't crunchy. They were kind of molded together into a super chip and had almost a gummy texture. Couldn't even eat them.

This package sold by weight, not by volume. Some contents may have settled during shipment.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Yeah we've never had issues with the Kirkland paper towels :confused:

The bidet though, get a bidet. So good.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How do I convince the wife that bidets aren't weird?

What's actually weird is that she's been to places like France and Korea, so why does she need convincing at all?

If you got poo poo on your hands you wouldn't rub them with dry paper now would you

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I've had an appliance delivery dude go off on my neighbor and threaten him with a wrench before. I have no idea how it started but I walked out to commotion, the delivery truck in front of our house, and one guy in the truck, the other outside of it with the wrench above his head facing my neighbor. My neighbor was not armed.
I yelled at the delivery guy to leave immediately or I was calling the police, all while he was swearing at my neighbor, me and my wife. They left quickly after that, we called Sears (remember them lmao) and told them what happened.
The next day a different set of guys came out and apologized profusely for the guy before, they knew him I guess and delivered the fridge we should have gotten the day before. They seemed just as confused as I was.

Point being yes absolutely I believe that dude said that exact thing to the woman since I have seen it in the flesh myself.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Soul Dentist posted:

(I don't get the rotisserie chicken because it's too salty anyways)

:hmmyes:

Any meat industry is gross as gently caress.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
We switched to loose powder for our dishwasher and have not had an issue with dishes being clean since. Cheaper, not paying for water, and as mentioned powder allows prewash which helps a ton.

Pods are convenient I guess but genuinely worse at the entire point of dishwashing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

FilthyImp posted:

Pan-toasted is the way for flour.

Also acceptable for corn if you can't do the burner hack

I go wild and throw them directly on the grill for a bit :getin:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

We bought one back in ... 2009? It was a pillow top inner spring from one of the major mattress companies and it was so bad. It sunk in within two years and we asked to return it but they said we couldn't. It turned us off pillow top and inner spring mattresses after that. We bought a latex mattress a couple years after that from Sleep EZ and it's night and day.

One of my few Costco purchase regrets.

A big slab of latex is truly the best mattress there is.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Latex was too hot for me also. I'd advise caution if you're a hot sleeper.

Strange, our latex mattress is by far the coolest one we've ever had. Memory foam was way too warm, a typical spring mattress was OK but they just generally suck.

Anecdotes!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
On the other hand they are insanely efficient, just righteously so.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

costco rotisserie chicken is gross :cb:

I don't like it either, it's a salt bomb. But lots of people like things I don't like and I'm glad it's there for other people :))))

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
How could Costco do this :negative:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Blue Moonlight posted:

You know people will buy that, right?

Case in point, look at what those jerks tricked me into buying:

“Hey, this’ll be easy, my kid can just toss it in the air fryer or whatever.”

:wrong:

That print in the bottom left would go on to crush my dreams. No, it’s literally just some of the ingredients in a box - a sack of apparently pre-cooked chicken, a bag of bread crumbs, and a sauce packet. Caveat emptor etc., etc., it was one of the only times Costco has betrayed me.

We saw those too and were going to get them until we caught that blurb at the bottom. I'm sure it's better quality because of that but it also undoes the whole point of buying one thing rather than doing it myself.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Coredump posted:

Whatever happened to the better version of pizza rolls the 'Co used to have?

Been gone for a long while, replaced them with Totinos for a hot minute, then some weird pepperoni pocket things that were larger than the rolls but smaller than hot pockets and now, mine doesn't have anything close besides bagel bites.

poo poo sucks out there but I probably shouldn't have been eating so many of them anyway.

Home Depot are huge chuds too if that means anything.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Barry posted:

One of the first things I do when I get home is put all the bagels in individual zip locks and freeze them. Takes like 30 minutes or so to thaw on the countertop.

We just freeze them immediately in their bags for a couple hours, then vacuum seal em' after that. They do get crushed a bit, but they always defrost perfectly.

A bit ago we were chatting about this exact thing in this thread and someone mentioned doing this was wasting plastic and instead they just let them go bad and buy more. The bagels come in plastic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

iroc.dis posted:

Question about car batteries from Church:

Do you need to make an appointment to get one? Or is that a show up, drop the car off at the automotive desk, grab some food and wander around the store until they're all done.

As mentioned you bring them your battery, not your entire car. Buy the new one and trade your old one at the same time, install it yourself.

It's a tire center. They do not install batteries at all.