Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Original:

New:

I dislike the new IMDB layout.

Discuss.

(You can also discuss Jim Belushi, if you want.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
The internet, unlike Jim Belushi, only gets worse over time.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm free like Tommy.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Who are the deranged people that submit endless minor continuity errors for films?

"You see in this scene, the second hand on Tony Stark's watch is passing the '5' but after it cuts back to him it's passing the '3'!!!"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

every website and every service that starts out good will get worse over time as the managers and beancounters meticulously add just enough annoying monetization, clickthroughs, and hounding about logging in to almost but not quite drive you away entirely

this forum is an enormous outlier with its unchanging design and it’s why we, the users, must put in the work to almost but not quite drive each other away with our posts instead.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

every website and every service that starts out good will get worse over time as the managers and beancounters meticulously add just enough annoying monetization, clickthroughs, and hounding about logging in to almost but not quite drive you away entirely

this forum is an enormous outlier with its unchanging design and it’s why we, the users, must put in the work to almost but not quite drive each other away with our posts instead.

I can't tell you what I can't get enough of: A giant box that pops up asking you to sign up for a newsletter that makes it impossible to see the site or scroll until you close it

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I want to fathom the new blue plate special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TAp_p4oSV4

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

consumer products designed under capitalism are kinda like boiling the frog alive by increasing the temperature slow enough that it doesn't notice, except the goal isn't to cook the frog, it's just to heat it up to the most uncomfortable temperature possible that won't quite kill it, and leave it there forever.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

https://twitter.com/NoContextHumans/status/1551561066752122883

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

haljordan posted:

Who are the deranged people that submit endless minor continuity errors for films?

"You see in this scene, the second hand on Tony Stark's watch is passing the '5' but after it cuts back to him it's passing the '3'!!!"
Every time someone complains about these nitpickers I’m like it’s a good thing. these people might have been burning witches or measuring skull lengths in a different time. People need their thing to obsess over.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
get emails right in ur inbox!

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
That honestly looks like you reached a nonexistant article and the site is just barfing up a load of poo poo onto the page in the hope you'll click on something. If I came across that I'd just assume IMDB had deleted Jim Belushi's entry for some reason and go look his Wikipedia article instead.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

yea it sucks

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
jeff bezos updates every imdb entry by hand

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i agree with the OP in general they've made it more difficult to get to the info i'm interested in and are showing a bunch of crap i couldn't care less about instead

i suppose somewhere there is a metric that interprets this as "increased engagement"

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
That's a preview of the upcoming changes that you opted into. Delete your cookies for the site and it goes back to the old way.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Bad Purchase posted:

consumer products designed under capitalism are kinda like boiling the frog alive by increasing the temperature slow enough that it doesn't notice, except the goal isn't to cook the frog, it's just to heat it up to the most uncomfortable temperature possible that won't quite kill it, and leave it there forever.

yeah, it sucks rear end. it's super visible in all the food delivery apps simultaneously losing the entire ability to filter options. and no longer respecting search terms at all

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Bad Purchase posted:

The internet turns people into prostitutes.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

haljordan posted:

At least they're not TV Tropers. "Stark's Watch is a trope in which time moves backward for no explicable reason, as seen in the following animes:"

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Schweinhund posted:

At least they're not TV Tropers. "Stark's Watch is a trope in which time moves backward for no explicable reason, as seen in the following animes:"

I feel like that website was kind of cool very early on and has just become an absolute impenetrable wall of interconnecting made up terms

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Schweinhund posted:

Yeah that site became worthless when they decided literally every single thing counted as a trope

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

the only section on imdb worth a d*rn

Karol-Man
May 14, 2022

by Fritz the Horse
I think the new design is belushit

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Schweinhund posted:

That's a preview of the upcoming changes that you opted into. Delete your cookies for the site and it goes back to the old way.

But not for looong!! :D

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes it sucks OP.

I used to download their database dump (in like CSVs) and run my own database and queries, can recommend if you have nothing better to do

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

sorry op ill change it back!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the website i've noticed becoming extremely user hostile lately is the mobile version of reddit. it might be different if you login, but i don't use it enough to bother with an account or subscribing to subreddits or whatever it is an account is for.

it seems like every single post on there gets flagged as NSFW now, even just basic news stories, and the mobile site completely blocks them and tells you to install the app instead. sometimes i will manually switch the URL to "old.reddit.com" if it's something i really wanna read, but usually i just end up closing the tab.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Reddit is basically just TikTok masquerading as a forum at this point. It's all about clicks and upvotes on the OP, the threads underneath just exist to boost engagement.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
All movies, TV shows, video games, music, etc. are just carrots. They exist just to get people to go after them and they have to watch ads to make it to the carrot.

We're donkeys.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Wow that looks like dogshit. They already changed the overall layout of their site for the worse a while back. Reminds me of how I used to have fun with last.fm years ago but they kept updating their site to be shittier and shittier until I straight stopped using it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My parents cut cable awhile ago and stick to streaming services and antenna, which results in my mom watching a lot of According to Jim.

As far as multi-cam sitcoms go...I've seen worse.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The moral is why are you spending time looking up movie trivia on increasingly-lovely web sites when you could instead watch reruns of According to Jim.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Mega64 posted:

The moral is why are you spending time looking up movie trivia on increasingly-lovely web sites when you could instead watch reruns of According to Jim.

Holy poo poo that show got eight friggin seasons

Mega64
May 23, 2008

haljordan posted:

Holy poo poo that show got eight friggin seasons

That's the power of syndication, baby. Literally nobody may watch a show but as long as it got over that magical 100 episode threshold it could run forever even in the no-man's land of Saturday nights, because some D-tier network needs cheap filler to justify selling ads to 70-year-olds who need background noise to distract them from the evermoving march of time.

And who better to stave off the march of death than Jim Belushi?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Red Heat is still boss though.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes it sucks OP.

I used to download their database dump (in like CSVs) and run my own database and queries, can recommend if you have nothing better to do

I've been screencapping as many pages as I can before they move over to the new format. Right now they're just pasted into one big Word document, maybe you can tell me how to export that to a database?

.random
May 7, 2007

Weird, Amazon is otherwise well known for great website UX :eyepop:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

haljordan posted:

Yeah that site became worthless when they decided literally every single thing counted as a trope

And added fan-fiction to the list of tropes.

Does IMDb still have the little checkbox to revert back to the old style on desktop? That’s how I have it on my desktop, but I checked it years ago. On mobile, it’s the new layout by default.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
imdb has basically been poo poo since wikipedia happened. i seem to remember something happening when they bought box office mojo also?

my roomates (american style) and i had a pretty much solely imdb devoted pc on the arm of the sofa back in the day. now everyones got phones and tablets i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I mainly go to IMDB to see other movies an actor I recognize but don't know are in so yeah this sucks for that.