Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Bula Vinaka posted:

All movies, TV shows, video games, music, etc. are just carrots. They exist just to get people to go after them and they have to watch ads to make it to the carrot.

We're donkeys.

This is the downside to communism. If everyone has their needs provided to them by robot laborers then there's no incentive to make entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Giraffe posted:

I've been screencapping as many pages as I can before they move over to the new format. Right now they're just pasted into one big Word document, maybe you can tell me how to export that to a database?

This sounds pretty insane :) what exactly are you collecting?

You can get the raw data from here: https://www.imdb.com/interfaces/. It's a lot of stuff, but also not completely everything of course.

Then those files can be imported into a SQL database and then you can make queries or interfaces on top of that. It's not that complicated but more involved than I can go into in a short post. But if you say what you're looking for, maybe there's a simpler solution.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

it sucks that they got rid of the IMDB forums because that's where the really obscure trivia was

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I seem to remember them doing this a bunch of times where they were switching to a new format and you could try the new format and it was lovely, but they just kept the old format around. I feel like this is the same thing and it's not going to actually change.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

it sucks that they got rid of the IMDB forums because that's where the really obscure trivia was

Fun fact...

IMDB started on Usenet. It was centered on discussion. I believe (if I'm not mistaken) that some of the Usenet discussion was moved to the IMDB forums, which were built around the discussion concept. So when the removed this, they pretty much abandoned their roots.

The discussion was migrated over to MovieChat, but it's just not the same, going to a different site like that.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The Boys are getting thrifty.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I hate it, I just want to know who is playing that one dude and now its a pain to get to

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Revins posted:

I hate it, I just want to know who is playing that one dude and now its a pain to get to

Yeah but now you see lots of other possibly related things, which is all that matters for a web site now. Also the algorithm isn't completely sure these things are related. Mind helping us out with some feedback, User?

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Skeleton Ape posted:

Mind helping us out with some feedback, User?

"I dislike the new layout, change it back."

"No."

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
yeah every new redesign just makes it worse. I've largely switched over to just using letterboxd instead, gently caress em.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

UI designers need to justify their job so they will constantly push out new UI designs even if they are significantly worse than the original design.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Is My Dick Big

no

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
You can read an increasing amount of articles from designers who are slowly starting to realize that they are merely pawns in the plans of Big Algorithm.

Unfortunately they are questioning long standing principles of design rather than their corporate overlords. Because of course human centered design has always been about kpi’s and business growth, design and user experience exists for no other reason.

Is there a thread on the Instagram and Facebook changes because that poo poo show is even more hilarious.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Join an Amazon warehouse and start making GBS threads in the delivery boxes, OP. Soon their already thin profit margins will be low enough that they will be forced to sell out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I gave my Dad a new Dell because it was over the 3 years waranty for a buisness. Half Off is nobody's business for 16 gigs oif Ram and an i7.