Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Pimpin' ain't easy when yo ride's full of schoolchildren.
Problem description:Symptom: Pops and clicks when playing audio through Ableton Live 11 Suite that did not exist using the same external hardware on a much (like 12 years) older computer.
Troubleshooting:

latencymon indicated nvlddmkm.sys (nvidia driver) as the most latent driver, I disabled my nvidia card and tested, still had the same issue, but latencymon now indicated storport.sys and wdf01000.sys were the most latent. This kinda seems to me like the DPC latency is a symptom and not a cause.

Attempted fixes: I've updated everything(Drivers, Windows, BIOS, Firmware, MIDI devices,) I've uninstalled everything unnecessary, I've checked multiple cables and ports to my audio interface, I've checked at every buffer size from 64-1024 and they all have the same issue. I've also tried different ports (USB-A, USB-C, through a hub, not though a hub, thunderbolt, not thunderbolt) and it's all the same, unfortunately. I've removed everything from startup (there wasn't much there to begin with,) I've run latencymon a number of times, I've run hwinfo64 a few times to check for throttling. I've verified power settings and power throttling settings. I've checked whether it happens in other DAWs (only ableton, weird,) I did find an issue where my GPU usage was spiking when Ableton was open, I fixed that by adding a line to the options.txt file in the user directory of Ableton. This solved some (but really only like 50%) of the pops and clicks. Any information needed I will provide forthwith.

Notes:
Recent changes: I gave this laptop too much lovin.

--

Operating system: e.g. W11Pro

System specs: Asus G733ZW-XS96
Core i9-12900H
64GB DDR5-4800
2 SSDs 1 1TB, 1 4TB
Geforce 3070 8GB
Ableton Push 2
Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen
Arturia Keylab Essential 49
Just a few monitors

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I've poo poo up the Ableton thread enough, I figure I'll poo poo up here for some moral support. I've got a laptop that I'm using for music production classes that's got pops and clicks in it's audio. I've run through everything I can think of to solve the issue so maybe some benevolent goon will see this and just go ham on it.

Please help me fix my cracking so I can do my school poo poo again. Thanks!

Back of the Bus fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd delete your audio drivers (in device manager) and reboot the machine and see if the issue continues.

There are a lot of issues in recent years with Windows update installing junky audio drivers that don't work.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 26, 2022

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Pimpin' ain't easy when yo ride's full of schoolchildren.

Zogo posted:

I'd delete your audio drivers (in device manager) and reboot the machine and see if the issue continues.

There are a lot of issues in recent years with Windows update installing junky audio drivers that don't work.

Speaking of lovely audio drivers, on a lark I just tried using the Realtek ASIO driver (forcing me to use the built in soundcard's headphone jack) and wouldn't you guess, no issues! Why would the lovely built in audio work better than my expensive audio interface? Your guess is as good as mine. I'd still like to figure out this issue as much as possible, if I could.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Back of the Bus posted:

Speaking of lovely audio drivers, on a lark I just tried using the Realtek ASIO driver (forcing me to use the built in soundcard's headphone jack) and wouldn't you guess, no issues! Why would the lovely built in audio work better than my expensive audio interface? Your guess is as good as mine. I'd still like to figure out this issue as much as possible, if I could.

If nobody has more ideas here you could always try this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389259