Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

B-Rock452 posted:

Tiger King was also released right at the start of lockdowns so the documentary was the right kind of batshit reality TV that people were kind of desperate for at that time. If it was released any other time I don't think it would have had the same popularity it did.

Also I don't really think he became that much of a folk hero outside of people just gawking at some crazy guy.

the megg mogg and owl epic over a couple of months was better

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
At least Tiger King also got some bad attention directed at Doc Antle, who came across (to me at least) as like Tiger King but more competent and thus probably worse and had that sort of cultish vibe about him. He’s since been convicted of money laundering and wildlife trafficking.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Pirate Radar posted:

At least Tiger King also got some bad attention directed at Doc Antle, who came across (to me at least) as like Tiger King but more competent and thus probably worse and had that sort of cultish vibe about him. He’s since been convicted of money laundering and wildlife trafficking.

Dude is totally running his own variety of NXIVM cult but he's cunning enough to keep the scale from becoming unmanageable. He's got an evil, controlling vibe.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Tiger King can forever suck the whole of my rear end for all the dipshits lumping Carole Baskin's work in with those loving assholes. For however odd she actively is, her operation has shut down and moved to lobbying efforts, even as they're covering food/medical costs of all their cats at other facilities, to focus on legislative efforts to stop people like the other monsters in the series from profiting off of their animal cruelty.

I'm glad to hear Alex Jones will continue to forever be seen as a piece of poo poo in the popular zeitgeist.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

rotinaj posted:

He’s a man who proudly loves giving rusty trombones

I respect that
I didn't know what that was but fortunately there's a wikipedia page with a handy infographic. :dogstare:

Probably :nws: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_trombone

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

B-Rock452 posted:

Tiger King was also released right at the start of lockdowns so the documentary was the right kind of batshit reality TV that people were kind of desperate for at that time. If it was released any other time I don't think it would have had the same popularity it did.

Also I don't really think he became that much of a folk hero outside of people just gawking at some crazy guy.

He's also in prison and tried very hard to get Trump to pardon him because he was mentioned one time in one of Trump's weird rambling diatribes.

Spoilers: Trump did not

Robviously posted:

Tiger King can forever suck the whole of my rear end for all the dipshits lumping Carole Baskin's work in with those loving assholes. For however odd she actively is, her operation has shut down and moved to lobbying efforts, even as they're covering food/medical costs of all their cats at other facilities, to focus on legislative efforts to stop people like the other monsters in the series from profiting off of their animal cruelty.

I'm glad to hear Alex Jones will continue to forever be seen as a piece of poo poo in the popular zeitgeist.

Tiger King guy was just your garden variety racist animal abuser redneck. The one that really skeeved me out was the wish.com Penn Jillette sex cult guy.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 29, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Frank Frank posted:

The one that really skeeved me out was the wish.com Penn Jillette sex cult guy.
Wait what?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

dr_rat posted:

Wait what?

Another guy who ran yet another rival big cat sanctuary who looked like discount Penn Jillette who also ran a sex cult. Idk his name but he was mega creepy.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The Bible posted:

The same exact people will then decry the accuracy of carbon dating when screeching about evolution or the age of the planet (I know that the age of the planet is measured with Uranium-Lead dating, but they don't.)

Cut it in half and count the rings

Cable Guy posted:

I didn't know what that was but fortunately there's a wikipedia page with a handy infographic. :dogstare:

Probably :nws: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_trombone

Fantastic avatar material

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

dr_rat posted:

Wait what?

The afore-mentioned Doc Antle

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Frank Frank posted:

Another guy who ran yet another rival big cat sanctuary who looked like discount Penn Jillette who also ran a sex cult. Idk his name but he was mega creepy.

Ah, looks like. Yeah I haven't got around to watching tiger king yet and I thought you meant some dude started a sex cult following the "teachings" of penn or worshipping him as a deity or something.

Like cults by nature often go pretty crazy with their belifs so you can't just automatically rule something like that out.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

dr_rat posted:

Ah, looks like. Yeah I haven't got around to watching tiger king yet and I thought you meant some dude started a sex cult following the "teachings" of penn or worshipping him as a deity or something.

Like cults by nature often go pretty crazy with their belifs so you can't just automatically rule something like that out.

It was during quarantine. Don’t hold if against me

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
IIRC the documentary Tiger King sorta danced around the subject, but Joe Exotic ran his "operation" by keeping everyone really addicted to meth.

Infowars would make more sense if they were all tweakers

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That documentary was really good, I think. Definitely made the case for what an awful human being he is.

The parents, though. :( Heart-breaking.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I just want their full high rez footage of both trials. There are so many amazing moments that weren’t in the documentary.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

my cat is norris posted:

That documentary was really good, I think. Definitely made the case for what an awful human being he is.

Not just him, but everyone working with and around him fails at being a decent person. The fat gently caress Jabba the Hutt looking bastard who kept going on about “WHY NO TRAUMA HELICOPTERS FOR THIS EMERGENCY” (because they’re all massacred you loving idiot)

The fat woman so proud of her tiny brain lighting up a neuron that goes “ping” and asks “well, who cleaned up all the blood?” :smug:

AJ is bad and he’s a vortex of horrible people, no wonder he’s friends with Joe Rogan

Edit: the dumbass lawyer who sends the text to the opposing lawyers team lol

The other idiot lawyer who is all “first they came for Alex Jones… :cry:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The documentary was good but it was hard to get past the description of what happened at Sandy Hook and hear all the names of the kids being said.

And yeah, those people that helped like that fucker who went on about the trauma helicopters and all that need to be taken down too. "I never said nobody died" followed immediately by a clip of him saying that was a great dig by the editors.

Siffl
Sep 3, 2011

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Not just him, but everyone working with and around him fails at being a decent person. The fat gently caress Jabba the Hutt looking bastard who kept going on about “WHY NO TRAUMA HELICOPTERS FOR THIS EMERGENCY” (because they’re all massacred you loving idiot)

The fat woman so proud of her tiny brain lighting up a neuron that goes “ping” and asks “well, who cleaned up all the blood?” :smug:

AJ is bad and he’s a vortex of horrible people, no wonder he’s friends with Joe Rogan

The best day of my life was when I decided to ignore work, hop onto this webspace, find this thread and click on the live stream of this trial. I loaded in all of about 15 minutes before this reveal. I'm not a court watcher at all, but immediately stopped working and started watching. It was the best loving thing ever.

TW was the best IK!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The documentary was depressing enough, don’t try and top that

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Alex Jones is a silly, stupid man who has too much money and should give most of it to the parents of dead children.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

BrigadierSensible posted:

Alex Jones is a silly, stupid man who has too much money and should give all of it to the parents of dead children and then spontaneously combust in a shower of rancid vodka poo poo.

FTFY

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Wait... wasn't there a thread by a goon that used to work with Joe Exotic a few years back. I'm sure there was.

Things from it I recall are meth use, bad accommodation, terrible travel arrangements and sub-standard food... but maybe it was a different animal abuser.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Cable Guy posted:

Wait... wasn't there a thread by a goon that used to work with Joe Exotic a few years back. I'm sure there was.

Things from it I recall are meth use, bad accommodation, terrible travel arrangements and sub-standard food... but maybe it was a different animal abuser.

i think you're thinking about the uk thread.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Brits don't use meth, otherwise - fair

The Bible
May 8, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Alex Jones is a silly, stupid man who has too much money and should give most of it to the parents of dead children.

He will, once he is dead and the courts do it.

Until then, they will do what courts totally do with everybody who has to pay fines and make sure he is able to live and spend comfortably while intentionally trying to hide his money.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Vampire Panties posted:

IIRC the documentary Tiger King sorta danced around the subject, but Joe Exotic ran his "operation" by keeping everyone really addicted to meth.

In the follow-up episode hosted by Joel McHale, one of the former workers says that Joe would hire drifters he met at gas stations, and he took advantage of them. The same guy outright says he wouldn't be surprised if Joe has killed one or two and fed their bodies to the cats

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Can't afford to feed staff. Can't afford to feed cats.

:thunk:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Powerful Katrinka posted:

In the follow-up episode hosted by Joel McHale, one of the former workers says that Joe would hire drifters he met at gas stations, and he took advantage of them. The same guy outright says he wouldn't be surprised if Joe has killed one or two and fed their bodies to the cats

That makes me feel better about the fact that Joe will probably die in prison.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Do you ever think Joe has ever looked at the bars he's trapped behind and had a moment of realization?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I doubt it. He doesn’t seem the penitent type.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
drat McHale sounds hardcore.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Cable Guy posted:

Yes.

He told a few stories and said more was coming but then he stopped, if I recall.

He said Joe went around with a gun all the time and he had a boyfriend with a colostomy bag who got it caught on a fence when he was chasing someone off the property. He also said they butchered cows with a chainsaw to feed the tigers. Joe Exotic also hired a bunch of undocumented immigrants.

The main story that I recall is that some of the workers staged a boxing match with a kangaroo. The kangaroo knocked the guy out and kept kicking him for a while and he said there was a lot of blood and it looked like the guy was dead. Joe Exotic came by and shot the kangaroo to death with his revolver.

Who knows if it was actually true?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Outrail posted:

Can't afford to feed staff. Can't afford to feed cats.

:thunk:

This seems like a problem that solves itself, honestly.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

That's Wolfgang Halbig. Besides what you see with him and Dan Bidondi going around Sandy Hook, Wolfgang also relentlessly harassed the parents in-person and with unhinged e-mails. With the former, he chased the family down to Florida and approached them. With the latter, his e-mails were gigantic walls of text accusing the school of being toxic waste dumps and taunting the parents & staff with really vile insults. He's a monster.

quote:

This has been blamed on a legal assistant of the lawyer (Reynal). Here's a Legal Eagle video where he goes into detail specifically about how that type of procedure works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-QcbOphxYs.

Funny enough, Andino Reynal is a former Eric Holder DoJ guy, and Jones' fans now accuse him of being a plant from the Deep State sent to intentionally tank Jones' case.

quote:

That's Norm Pattis. He's another piece of garbage. There's an episode of Knowledge Fight where Mark Bankston, the Plaintiff Attorney listens to Alex talking to Pattis after the cases and calls out Pattis' lying and possible accidental self-incrimination.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

There's a moment in the doc where you don't see Alex's face and he's talking directly to the Sandy Hook parents.

He isn't speaking to a camera, he's subtitled because he's keeping his voice low. He's surrounded by his lawyers so he doesn't think he's being filmed. Alex says sorry for what he did, and it sounds like the only genuine moment of non-performative contrition he's ever had...until you realize that if he was able to finish his speech, he'd be trying to get them to cancel the suit last second, or to come on his show for more bullshit. He's pitching for them. He's begging. This human moment is still piece-of-poo poo Alex. You hate him even more.

Yeah. Someone in the KF thread talked about how that seemed like typical abuser behavior to seem like the reasonable man, then shout at the lawyers for splitting them apart when he was just trying to be reasonable. Afterwards on his show, Alex claimed that Scarlet Lewis then came back to him, gave him a big hug, and said "You're right. I watched the clips. You never said those things and I realize like you said that I'm being controlled by these lawyers." He immediately got slapped with a C&D by the plaintiffs and their counsel.

I've seen people online say that they wish that Alex Jones would just go back to his Gay Frogs era, not realizing that he has always been a bigoted conman and a monstrous human being. KF did an episode from 2008 that showed that Alex targeted harassment at a specifically named poll worker during the Republican primary. He knows that he can get his viewers to do his dirty work for him.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

And ad for the documentary appeared on my Facebook feed and as you would expect on Facebook the comments were overwhelmingly "Alex Jones is right!" and "HBO is a leftist organization and they're trying to end free speech!"

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
There's a new Alex Jones adjacent article in the NYT about Gottlieb and his defamation cases, especially the one they won against Giuliani.

I wasn't aware Alex apologized for Pizzagate and removed references on the site. How magnanimous of him.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Pennsylvanian posted:

Yeah. Someone in the KF thread talked about how that seemed like typical abuser behavior to seem like the reasonable man, then shout at the lawyers for splitting them apart when he was just trying to be reasonable. Afterwards on his show, Alex claimed that Scarlet Lewis then came back to him, gave him a big hug, and said "You're right. I watched the clips. You never said those things and I realize like you said that I'm being controlled by these lawyers." He immediately got slapped with a C&D by the plaintiffs and their counsel.
My personal theory wrt Alex's relationship with the truth and where he falls on the true believer / conman scale is that while he is, at his heart, a conman, he's also a narcissist, which means his relationship with the truth is wildly different than a regular person's. Alex believes whatever would need to be true in order to justify his own current emotional state. Couple that with never being able to admit fault or wrongdoing and things get complicated quickly.

He had to sit there and listen to Scarlet Lewis lecture him for a solid twenty minutes about how badly his many lies have hurt her over the decade, and he's emotionally affected by it because of course he is, how could he not be. Then his brain immediately jumps to "this poor woman is being manipulated by her evil lawyers into suing me and I need to help her".

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Cable Guy posted:

https://www.somethingawful.com/series/the-tiger-king-and-i/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Siffl posted:

The best day of my life was when I decided to ignore work, hop onto this webspace, find this thread and click on the live stream of this trial. I loaded in all of about 15 minutes before this reveal. I'm not a court watcher at all, but immediately stopped working and started watching. It was the best loving thing ever.

TW was the best IK!

The AJ trial moment of glory will be top 10 “moments (unrelated to my direct family)” of all time, possibly top 5. It was surreal to watch it happen live.