Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR5fb-onlG0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

the art hurts me

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Upsidads posted:

the art hurts me

yeah thats legendarily bad

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Thanks.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

"bet it starts with an "e" though!"

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I've always imagined Jordon as cartoon cartwheeling around the room when he loses it, which is why I have always been pro-Jordan.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Marsupial Ape posted:

I've always imagined Jordon as cartoon cartwheeling around the room when he loses it, which is why I have always been pro-Jordan.
Especially in "mic down" moments where you can still hear him screaming from what sounds like the other end of the room

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
how sad is the hbo documentary, i'm not in a great place to be super bummed out right now

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

R.L. Stine posted:

how sad is the hbo documentary, i'm not in a great place to be super bummed out right now

They (bloodlessly) walk you through the entire shooting naming individual victims in a running tally. It’s not gory, but I’d go in prepared for some heavy poo poo.

I tried watching it right after getting out of the hospital and just had to straight up bounce, and I’m the freak who listens to Knowledge Fight to help me sleep.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

They (bloodlessly) walk you through the entire shooting naming individual victims in a running tally. It’s not gory, but I’d go in prepared for some heavy poo poo.

I tried watching it right after getting out of the hospital and just had to straight up bounce, and I’m the freak who listens to Knowledge Fight to help me sleep.

So if you have a significant other who works at an elementary school... DON'T show the documentary to them?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Randalor posted:

So if you have a significant other who works at an elementary school... DON'T show the documentary to them?

Idk maybe they really loving hate those kids?????

It ends with a whole class of kids hiding in a tiny bathroom as the guy magdumps into them, hard cut to an agonizingly long list of names being read.

It’s pretty loving hard to sit through

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

FFT posted:

Especially in "mic down" moments where you can still hear him screaming from what sounds like the other end of the room

Ha! I've commented on that before. I imagine him running to the door way of the recording space, yelling, and then running back.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Idk maybe they really loving hate those kids?????

My wife works at a K-8 school as a librarian and loves the kids. I was planning on watching the documentary with her because I thought it JUST covered the aftermath and court cases, not also a reenactment of the shooting. I think I'll watch it alone now.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Murdstone posted:

I don’t think so. I’m sure public defenders have to take whatever comes but private practices can just decide not to take a client.

I think a judge can technically drag any lawyer in and say “This person is your client now” but that doesn’t happen much.

I’m not a lawyer so this is all tv knowledge though.

In the UK top civil lawyers definitely do this. I think it's the opposite of a fair and ethical system - it just means they dodge responsibility and can pretend it wasn't their choice to work as very well paid bullyboys for various dictators and resource barons.

No one is responsible it was all the system, what a shame, trebles all round :homebrew:

After all it's still not equal access to justice because only the absolute scum of the earth can afford their services

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
sounds like i'll skip it for now

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Randalor posted:

My wife works at a K-8 school as a librarian and loves the kids. I was planning on watching the documentary with her because I thought it JUST covered the aftermath and court cases, not also a reenactment of the shooting. I think I'll watch it alone now.

It's not really a reenactment, just a cop in a chair talking through the series of events. It's still gutting.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pennsylvanian posted:

Was talking about the case with a friend who also listens to KF, and I wasn't aware that a bunch of Sandy Hoaxers tried to sue Bankston:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KnowledgeFight/comments/16fa7ol/by_popular_demand_here_are_the_pleadings_from_the/

Reddit thread where he answers questions about it in the comment section. It didn't go well for the nutbags trying to sue him.

LOL those documents though.

Dang. Can't resist the urge to be catty even if it undermines your own argument.

How dare he not mention my high school scholarship. Or that I did a paper on tree fungus once. These are surely relevant. He had to know about them because I made a reference to them in my blog once.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Using your participation in an ethics committee as proof of how ethical you are flags the ethics committee as suspect.

I'll have an honesty meal with extra gravy thanks.

E: also, if you end up with degrees in physics and biology, with experience in geophysics and end up suing someone over anything remotely related to Alex Jones... what the gently caress are you doing with your life? Pick a lane rear end in a top hat.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 6, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pirate Radar posted:

Working for insane narcissists seems impossibly unrewarding unless you’re a true believer. Even when they pay you on time they just villainize you later.

Seen this cycle happen so much, any WWE watcher will tell you stories about Vince McMahon. (the possible half-brother of Donald Trump!) There's absolutely no point in trying to suck up to a narcissist, because the most fawning of behaviour is just what they expect from everyone anyway, and they will sooner or later gently caress you over for the slightest gain, or perceived slight, or legitimately just because they're bored. They'll only act like they respect you and flatter you as long as you have leverage over them.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Carth Dookie posted:

The gently caress are you talking about?

Go back and read the archives from the early 2000s. This place became a haven because of the paywall and it was STILL the origin of half the internet's worst stories.

The internet has always been awful. We just got used to goatse.

No, they probably mean the time before Endless September, so the mid-1990s or earlier. The Internet wasn't always awful. But I doubt there's many of us from that period still active on SA. (By the time I joined SA in 2006 or so I'd been on the Internet for 20 years.)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
That lawsuit has some GEMS

quote:

82. I was so sensitive about the name change that I disclosed it to this court under seal, on Nov, 5, 2020. The new name has now been publicized to the world, in the most humiliating and negative light imaginable, defaming me even to the handful of new friends I have been able to make, as well as employers, causing me incredible stress and despair. I have been turned down by two tutoring companies because of the mess that comes up on my name in a Google search, which Pozner and Maguire are responsible for, even tough I have no criminal record. The tutoring clients have concluded I will be an unsavory influence and unfit to be around students!

quote:

Upon receiving Mr. Gill's notes I contacted Mr. Bankston, whom I had never met and never even heard of, asking if he would talk to me. He responded, "Never contact me again, you weirdo, LOL." These exchanges are labeled as Exhibit C, from the disciplinary proceeding (in Exhibit 2).

quote:

1. Zimmerman and Bankston’s Sandy Hook cases.
As more attempts to prejudice this court, Bankston preens and crows about the wonderful victories he and Zimmerman both achieved for their Sandy Hook
clients; but he leaves out the most important part: that in all these frivolous defamation cases discovery by the defendants was vastly restricted or prohibited and summary judgment was granted on liability. Alex Jones was defaulted for discovery violations— discovery conducted only by the plaintiffs into his assets! To my knowledge (which is complete in Fetzer's case and less complete in Jones's) Defendants did not get to do any discovery into the supposed shooting,
plaintiffs' injuries, the closed school, or any of those crucial facts. The trials that were held, including Bankston's against Infowars--"one of the most high-profile trials of the past decade," he says— as well as Zimmerman's against Fetzer only had to do with the damages "owed" to the plaintiffs. They were an abomination to anyone who cares about fairness and trials on the merits. I could not watch the hotdog circus of Bankston vs. Jones in Austin. I turned it off in disgust after five minutes.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Seen this cycle happen so much, any WWE watcher will tell you stories about Vince McMahon. (the possible half-brother of Donald Trump!) There's absolutely no point in trying to suck up to a narcissist, because the most fawning of behaviour is just what they expect from everyone anyway, and they will sooner or later gently caress you over for the slightest gain, or perceived slight, or legitimately just because they're bored. They'll only act like they respect you and flatter you as long as you have leverage over them.

Probably a good comparison. McMahon got control of a big spigot of money and fame and delighted in turning it on or off for people depending on whether they made him feel like The Man on any given day.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The first thing Alex Jones fan say whenever you criticize him is he predicted 9/11. I hear this so often, but I never bothered to look up what he actually said.

So, I finally looked into it out of curiosity and it was a bunch of vague claims about in some point in the future, terrorists will blow up buildings or set off "suitcase nukes" or chemical weapons or that there would be a false flag terrorist attack. Nothing specific whatsoever about 9/11 and when he did mention specific things, he was wrong. That's like if I said "In the future there will be a major baseball game and one team will win" and then claimed to accurately predict who won the world series in 2024.

I don't know why I was expecting something more. I continue to underestimate how dumb people are.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The first thing Alex Jones fan say whenever you criticize him is he predicted 9/11. I hear this so often, but I never bothered to look up what he actually said.

So, I finally looked into it out of curiosity and it was a bunch of vague claims about in some point in the future, terrorists will blow up buildings or set off "suitcase nukes" or chemical weapons or that there would be a false flag terrorist attack. Nothing specific whatsoever about 9/11 and when he did mention specific things, he was wrong. That's like if I said "In the future there will be a major baseball game and one team will win" and then claimed to accurately predict who won the world series in 2024.

I don't know why I was expecting something more. I continue to underestimate how dumb people are.

Yeah, KF has covered it a few times but he didn't say anything that anybody else talking about potential terror attacks in the US wasn't saying at the time. Bin Laden had already hit the WTC once in 93 and it was assumed he would try again at some point in the future by a ton of people. In fact Alex's predictions were almost verbatim ripped from fellow conspiracy nutjob Bill Cooper, who loving hated Alex and called him out as a fraud before his death.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I guess what surprises me is that if he even said something like "terrorists will hijack a plane" or "there will be a major attack on a building in new york" it would still be incredibly dumb to call it a prediction, but he didn't even say anything that close!

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

teen witch posted:

That lawsuit has some GEMS

drat you mean both parties have to participate in discovery and if one party tries to stonewall the whole thing they get hosed by the judge? I'm hearing this for the first time

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

On 911 itself his leading theory was that the EU was behind it for € reasons

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
There's been a few bombings in the past 20 years so you could say AJ predicted all of them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Xakura posted:

On 911 itself his leading theory was that the EU was behind it for € reasons

Does anyone know if there's still a bunch of conspiracy theorist thinking the UN/EU/NATO is going to invade the US any second now?

I know that used to be a big thing for a while. THE LEFT WANTS TO TAKE OUT GUNS SO WE'RE ALL DEFENSELESS WHEN THE UN -LEAD BY (((SOROS)))- COMES TO TAKE OVER!!!!

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Likewise, he maintains that he was "one of the first if not the first" to ever talk about Epstein, which is just a flat-out lie. Epstein was first indicted in 2007, and Jones didn't mention him once on his show until 2015, and even then only after months of MSM coverage.

But he did make a bunch of vague claims about rich elites getting up to some shady stuff, so isn't that basically the same thing?

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

dr_rat posted:

Does anyone know if there's still a bunch of conspiracy theorist thinking the UN/EU/NATO is going to invade the US any second now?

I know that used to be a big thing for a while. THE LEFT WANTS TO TAKE OUT GUNS SO WE'RE ALL DEFENSELESS WHEN THE UN -LEAD BY (((SOROS)))- COMES TO TAKE OVER!!!!

Wasn't that the fear behind Jade Helm back in 2015? That it wasn't just a "military training exercise", but was actually going to involve Obama smuggling a bunch of UN stormtroopers into the country through secret Walmart tunnels so that he could declare martial law in Texas and start confiscating their guns?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Alex is screeching about the Eclipse being used for a takeover. He keeps talking about the Oklahoma National Guard being mobilized for a State of Emergency, which is just the NG being deployed to handle expected traffic jams.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

dr_rat posted:

Are you talking about Alex specifically or about conspiracy theorists in general

Alex has moved on to calling them the globalists and has gone further away from specific legitimate scapegoats like the EU and the NATO forces, because now he can say globalists have infiltrated anything he wants to shake his finger at nowadays

The globalists are behind the bridge collapse, they were obviously the ship pilots and obviously the maintenance crews on the bridge

The globalists are behind the conflict in Israel because they have infiltrated the Israeli government and have been trying to antagonize hamas into doing stuff they can use against them

The globalists has become shorthand for the evil antagonists, and the out-group that Alex is scaring his listeners with

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Oh, yeah, the eclipse. lol.

I am a water plant operator and work in a part of Kentucky that was in the path of totality of the 2017 eclipse. The state and federal governments were giving us similar warnings, but it was based on the large influx of people into a town or 3,000. My superintendent was convinced that the all the locals lodgings would fill up and everybody would just flush and shower within the same 3 hour period. The state's math had him convinced the standing tanks would run dry and the waste water plant would be overwhelmed in 48 hours.

Day of the eclipse, flow trends were normal at both drinking water and wastewater plants. Nobody got any lodgings or stayed more than a few hours. Bunch of out of state people drove in and then, using their GPS, lined all the highways and back roads like dumb fucks. Traffic was lovely until about dinner time and the cops had to run off people who thought they could set up tailgate parties in private yards.

The eclipse was cool, though. I had proper eye protection and it was super neat 2 minutes.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

rotinaj posted:

Alex has moved on to calling them the globalists and has gone further away from specific legitimate scapegoats like the EU and the NATO forces, because now he can say globalists have infiltrated anything he wants to shake his finger at nowadays

The globalists are behind the bridge collapse, they were obviously the ship pilots and obviously the maintenance crews on the bridge

The globalists are behind the conflict in Israel because they have infiltrated the Israeli government and have been trying to antagonize hamas into doing stuff they can use against them

The globalists has become shorthand for the evil antagonists, and the out-group that Alex is scaring his listeners with

Wait why does Jones hate people who make and sell globes? Globes are cool!!!

I bet he's in carhoots with big map makers. They put all their billions and billion of lobbying dollars into funding flat earth conspiracy to adance there secrte agenda of convincing so people to buy their stupid flat maps over nice plasant looking globes thinking they're a more accurate depiction of earth.

If they can get to Alex Jones, who can't they get to??? :(

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

dr_rat posted:

Indeed they are!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
:hmmyes:

Also I missed the days when everyone thought the world was tinted yellow and full of monsters!

More intresting times!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

wrong! it was the 90's Spider-Man cartoon, the one with Kraven and Man-Spider.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

dr_rat posted:

:hmmyes:

Also I missed the days when everyone thought the world was tinted yellow and full of monsters!

More intresting times!

Turns out we were the monsters all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

dr_rat posted:

I bet he's in carhoots with big map makers. They put all their billions and billion of lobbying dollars into funding flat earth conspiracy to adance there secrte agenda of convincing so people to buy their stupid flat maps over nice plasant looking globes thinking they're a more accurate depiction of earth.

If they can get to Alex Jones, who can't they get to??? :(

Baron von Eevl posted:

Indeed they are!

Do you both own these, they are sick

Where did you find them, Tag/estate sales?