Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

rotinaj posted:

Do you both own these, they are sick

Where did you find them, Tag/estate sales?

They are! But alas no, I don't own that one, move around a bit to much to own something as cumbersom to bring around as a globe.

Just doing a quick google, vintage globes can go for thousands, saw a few in the $5-40,000 ranage. But you can get cheaper stuff for $100-500 of etsy or whatever.
(https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/863...a64%3A863739194)

Quite a few of places make the 'hidden bar' type about as well:
https://www.chartandmapshop.com.au/products/the-da-vinci-rust-bar-globe-by-zaffoli

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
((((Replogle))))

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The first thing Alex Jones fan say whenever you criticize him is he predicted 9/11. I hear this so often, but I never bothered to look up what he actually said.

So, I finally looked into it out of curiosity and it was a bunch of vague claims about in some point in the future, terrorists will blow up buildings or set off "suitcase nukes" or chemical weapons or that there would be a false flag terrorist attack. Nothing specific whatsoever about 9/11 and when he did mention specific things, he was wrong. That's like if I said "In the future there will be a major baseball game and one team will win" and then claimed to accurately predict who won the world series in 2024.

I don't know why I was expecting something more. I continue to underestimate how dumb people are.

Both Tom Clancy and Hideo Kojima predicted 9/11 better than Alex Jones.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Agents are GO! posted:

Both Tom Clancy and Hideo Kojima predicted 9/11 better than Alex Jones.

The book Godzilla 2000 predicted 9/11 better than Alex Jones and that one said that a pilot the US military recruited for being the best at a certain arcade game would end up destroying the Towers to drop them on King Gidorah while he was fighting Godzilla in Manhattan

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Has Alex ever mentioned The Lone Gunmen X-Files spin-off?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mid-tier Clancy wannabee Dale Brown wrote Storming Heaven in '94, with commercial jets used to make suicide attacks, including one against the Capitol building.

There's even an authors note along the lines of 'Gee, I hope nobody thinks to actually try this, because it'd be hard to stop'

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Back in the 90s, tabletop RPG designer Greg Stolze made a game called Unknown Armies, this urban fantasy/horror thing in which embodying certain principles of the zeitgeist or the human condition could give you power over it, and eventually let you ascend to a higher state of being in which you could change the nature of reality. In ’99 he wrote a scenario called Fly to Heaven, in which a guy decides to ascend as the archetype of The Terrorist by hijacking a 747 and ritually turning the plane into a microcosm of America, so that when he crashes it into Chicago it be an act of sympathetic magic that will cause American culture to unravel and warp around a newfound obsession with terrorism.

Like William Gibson, Stolze should probably be prevented from writing any more books that aren't about how great everything is going to be in five years.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Novella The Running Man ends with the protagonist piloting a plane into a skyscraper

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

rotinaj posted:

Do you both own these, they are sick

Where did you find them, Tag/estate sales?

I do own mine, I saw that first photo and freaked out a little. I dunno, it was my parents and always in my house, I took it when my parents were downsizing. The actual globe is only a little larger than a softball, it's pretty small.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

dr_rat posted:

Wait why does Jones hate people who make and sell globes? Globes are cool!!!

You can also get yourself Global Poland

there's even a North Pole-land that NASA doesn't want us to know about :tinfoil:

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Marsupial Ape posted:

Oh, yeah, the eclipse. lol.

I am a water plant operator and work in a part of Kentucky that was in the path of totality of the 2017 eclipse. The state and federal governments were giving us similar warnings, but it was based on the large influx of people into a town or 3,000. My superintendent was convinced that the all the locals lodgings would fill up and everybody would just flush and shower within the same 3 hour period. The state's math had him convinced the standing tanks would run dry and the waste water plant would be overwhelmed in 48 hours.

Day of the eclipse, flow trends were normal at both drinking water and wastewater plants. Nobody got any lodgings or stayed more than a few hours. Bunch of out of state people drove in and then, using their GPS, lined all the highways and back roads like dumb fucks. Traffic was lovely until about dinner time and the cops had to run off people who thought they could set up tailgate parties in private yards.

The eclipse was cool, though. I had proper eye protection and it was super neat 2 minutes.

Once a year, Penn State has its Arts Festival that occupies a huge chunk of the downtown and campus areas, and every year, the sewers end up overflowing, and the water gets shut off to parts of the town. I worked as a cook and it was really frustrating, especially when the restaurants that never cleaned their grease traps ended up with a flood of the grossest smelling water all over the place.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Pennsylvanian posted:

Once a year, Penn State has its Arts Festival that occupies a huge chunk of the downtown and campus areas, and every year, the sewers end up overflowing, and the water gets shut off to parts of the town. I worked as a cook and it was really frustrating, especially when the restaurants that never cleaned their grease traps ended up with a flood of the grossest smelling water all over the place.

That’s an excellent example. On the other end of the spectrum, I know that WKU’s on campus sewer plant has a hard time staying alive during the seasonal breaks.

The big problem with grease traps and restaurants is that they change managers so much. Most towns do have sewer discharge laws that have require grease trap pumping on a schedule, but as soon as you get somebody in comply, management turns over and they stop. It’s bonkers. I used to do compliance inspections and do not miss it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

teen witch posted:

Has Alex ever mentioned The Lone Gunmen X-Files spin-off?

Pretty sure that he has, and also that he's had Dean Haglund (who played Langley) on the show.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Seen this cycle happen so much, any WWE watcher will tell you stories about Vince McMahon. (the possible half-brother of Donald Trump!) There's absolutely no point in trying to suck up to a narcissist, because the most fawning of behaviour is just what they expect from everyone anyway, and they will sooner or later gently caress you over for the slightest gain, or perceived slight, or legitimately just because they're bored. They'll only act like they respect you and flatter you as long as you have leverage over them.

LMAO I'm catching up on old KF episodes I haven't listened to and I'm in the middle of the "The WWE is evil because their villain said I sent him fan mail" episodes, including the stretch where Dan explains McMahon's involvement with Trump.

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 7, 2024

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

mojo1701a posted:

Pretty sure that he has, and also that he's had Dean Haglund (who played Langley) on the show.

Of course it’s Langley, my favorite

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

Alex Jones dodges the fluoride by only drinking penis water.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Just started Truth vs Alex Jones. Hearing him with a (his original?) Texas/southern accent is surreal.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
He was trying to channel Bill Cooper and Rush Limbaugh, back in the day.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I haven't had the time to follow this thread for some months. Tell me pls, has rear end in a top hat Jones had to cough up any of his money to the relatives of victims yet, or is he still just clogging up the courts systems with more bogus bankruptcy claims? (At least he's presumably had to pay his lawyers.)

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

He's still going, delaying the consequences of the verdict and basically phoning in his show by hitching it to Twitter (basically re-reading tweets), and is clearly focusing on hiding money while the production value of his broadcasts noticably suffers.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Scam Likely posted:

He's still going, delaying the consequences of the verdict and basically phoning in his show by hitching it to Twitter (basically re-reading tweets), and is clearly focusing on hiding money while the production value of his broadcasts noticably suffers.

Not even "basically" phoning it in, he is batting like .500 or something on whether he is even in the studio at all or calling in from, presumably, the cab of a lifted F150 to vomit some mouth sounds out a little bit then turn it back over to whoever is actually in studio hosting.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Not only is he delaying he's still going on expensive vacations several times a year.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Also some of the dipshits from Project Veritas released a very heavily edited series of conversations with an FBI pencil pusher who mentioned Alex's name, so his new conspiracy theory is that even though Sandy Hook definitely happened, the FBI planted anomalies in order to make it look fake, so that Alex would call it fake, so that the families would sue him

Obviously

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
It was store brand Project Veritas, but I can't be assed to look up the actual organization. And the FBI pencil pusher was actually some poor contractor who does, like, purchasing for office supplies for the FBI, shooting his mouth off in a bar. Really sad considering. I hope it blows over for his sake.

But otherwise yeah Alex is totally suing the FBI AND CIA because why not for exactly the reasons you describe.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if when project veritas finally dies, one of the clones that will spring up in its wake will try and use a knockoff name like team veritas or veritas promotions or something

I am glad that org is on the ropes and the founder, jimmy jam, has been hiding to try to keep from getting any fraud or embezzlement charges from it

The Bible
May 8, 2010

BigBadSteve posted:

I haven't had the time to follow this thread for some months. Tell me pls, has rear end in a top hat Jones had to cough up any of his money to the relatives of victims yet, or is he still just clogging up the courts systems with more bogus bankruptcy claims? (At least he's presumably had to pay his lawyers.)

Not a loving dime, while spending tens of thousands freely every month.

It would be mean for the courts to harm his luxurious lifestyle, you see. But don't worry, he'll start paying any day now! The legal system isn't hopelessly broken and corrupt, the wheels just grind slow.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 22, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The Bible posted:

Not a loving dime, while spending tens of thousands freely every month.

It would be mean for the courts to harm his luxurious lifestyle, you see. But don't worry, he'll start paying any day now! The legal system isn't hopelessly broken and corrupt, the wheels just grind slow.

Maybe after he dies of alcoholism his ex wife and kids if he has them won't get any money.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure the knowledge fight guys were just talking about how Alex just came back from another vacation

I would quite like it if these estate overseers and these financial auditors would keep him from having all these nice, relaxing vacations while he owes umpty-million dollars to everyone under the sun

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rotinaj posted:

Pretty sure the knowledge fight guys were just talking about how Alex just came back from another vacation

I would quite like it if these estate overseers and these financial auditors would keep him from having all these nice, relaxing vacations while he owes umpty-million dollars to everyone under the sun

The vast majority of his money is under lock and key, with only a small percentage of it given to him as an allowance.

It's just that even a small percentage of his fortune is still enough to book a vacation somewhere. You don't have to be a millionaire to take a trip.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

The vast majority of his money is under lock and key, with only a small percentage of it given to him as an allowance.

It's just that even a small percentage of his fortune is still enough to book a vacation somewhere. You don't have to be a millionaire to take a trip.

I would like it if this were not the case, and I would like it if Alex Jones post-lawsuit judgments was not living quite such a nice life, getting to go on nice family vacations to Hawaii every few months

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

rotinaj posted:

On the one hand, yes he should be barred from having a good time, on the other hand him not being around is a real terms reduction in him doing harm. Silver linings and all that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My personal bingo card has Jones pulling a Lowtax. Jones has had a large majority of his life where the only two tools he needed were rage or manipulation and those are failing him spectacularly right now. He's wigging the gently caress out then crawling DEEP in to the bottle*, sometimes live on air. The slightest tickle from the direction of consequences that leaves him in a life of luxury incomprehensible to everyone else is just oil to the water of his ego and he has no tools left to reconcile things. He's been screaming and yelling about how unfairly he is being attacked and how everything in his life is under assault. A healthy, normal person would say "I am not OK, I need help" and then not be able to afford that help because lol America get hosed. Jones just reaches into the only toolbox he's got, pulls out rage and main character syndrome then he's off to the races perfectly assured that he is absolutely right, he's being unfairly attacked because he's right, and the main character wins by fighting the bad guys and winning. One day he's going to get just a little too sloshed and a stray thought will cross his mind that maybe, juuuuust maaaaybe, he can't win this so there's only one way to deny his enemies their victory; by taking it in to his own hands. Since this is America and we don't do anything that would hurt the NRA's feefees even after a kindergarten full of kids decorates the walls with their gray matter he'll have a gun nearby and then all it takes is a second or two to make the eternal decision.

*Whether booze bottle or pill bottle or both I leave up to interpretation.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

My personal bingo card has Jones pulling a Lowtax. Jones has had a large majority of his life where the only two tools he needed were rage or manipulation and those are failing him spectacularly right now. He's wigging the gently caress out then crawling DEEP in to the bottle*, sometimes live on air. The slightest tickle from the direction of consequences that leaves him in a life of luxury incomprehensible to everyone else is just oil to the water of his ego and he has no tools left to reconcile things. He's been screaming and yelling about how unfairly he is being attacked and how everything in his life is under assault. A healthy, normal person would say "I am not OK, I need help" and then not be able to afford that help because lol America get hosed. Jones just reaches into the only toolbox he's got, pulls out rage and main character syndrome then he's off to the races perfectly assured that he is absolutely right, he's being unfairly attacked because he's right, and the main character wins by fighting the bad guys and winning. One day he's going to get just a little too sloshed and a stray thought will cross his mind that maybe, juuuuust maaaaybe, he can't win this so there's only one way to deny his enemies their victory; by taking it in to his own hands. Since this is America and we don't do anything that would hurt the NRA's feefees even after a kindergarten full of kids decorates the walls with their gray matter he'll have a gun nearby and then all it takes is a second or two to make the eternal decision.

*Whether booze bottle or pill bottle or both I leave up to interpretation.

neat

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

This thread needs a rule against one-handed posting.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Agents are GO! posted:

This thread needs a rule against one-handed posting.

The first sentence and what may happen in the future is my personal speculation. The rest of it is just listening to him on air. It's not speculation, it's literally just listening to what he says in his own words on his own show.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
He's building a compound out in Terlingua with the ample money he still has access to, while still filming his show, taking lavish vacations, and engaging in the same quantity and quality of food and drug vices he always has.

He is indistinguishable from functionally retired to me.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I stopped reading after the first sentence.

Narcissists and people with no shame or morals don't kill themselves.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This take continues to be bad and wrong.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Scarodactyl posted:

This take continues to be bad and wrong.

Do you have some anecdotes or are narcissists, on average, just as likely to kill themselves than anyone else who isn't in love with themselves?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I stopped reading after the first sentence.

The amount of family annihilators who go on to kill themselves is too high for this to be true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
How many times do I have to bring up R Budd Dwyer? Narcissists control their own narrative to the bitter end. Jones will blow his brains out during an X Spaces stream before he actually acquiesces to the civil judgements.