Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

IANAL, but I think that's confirmation bias speaking; you only hear about the cases that blow up in their faces, and Alex Jones in particular is the most egregious example because he the worst client imaginable. You tend to not hear about the delays that actually serve their purpose; frustrating a plaintiff who has a solid case but cannot afford to keep chasing it indefinitely and forcing them to go for a smaller settlement.

This seems like a massive weakness in the justice system, glaringly so.

Like, literally, just pay-to-win as long as your opponent doesn't have the cash to keep going, regardless of the merits of their case.

Do judges not see that this is what is happening, or do they just not give a poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Main Paineframe posted:

if it were that simple, Alex Jones the multi-millionaire wouldn't have lost this case

He could have, he just insisted on doing the dumbest thing possible at every turn for some reason.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
The only justice we will ever see in regards to Jones is that despite having basically limitless wealth and no legal consequences (he will weasel out of paying a goddamn dime to any of these families), he has still managed to gently caress up his life to the point that he is a hate-filled husk of a man, probably on the verge of a heart attack/stroke, and is not capable of experiencing any positive emotion. He was dealt a Royal Flush in life and still just ended up as a misery golem.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Main Paineframe posted:

he can't "weasel out of paying a dime"

the bankruptcy court has already seized control over FSS and frozen most of his assets

after his bankruptcy case is over, the court isn't giving that poo poo back. most of it's getting liquidated and going straight to his creditors (in this case, the families)

Well, alright, that's good news. So when does he have to pay?

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Twibbit posted:

Not this exact second so that means never

I'm actually asking, though. Is there a set date on when payment is due or is it just "when this is all over"?

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Voyager I posted:

You can be legitimately frustrated that the process will take years and probably still leave Jones at a level of wealthy comfort that most of us could only aspire to, but the fortune is going in the end and the legal mechanisms to ensure it are already in place.

I guess I just don't have much faith in the justice system, especially as it applies to the rich and influential. I do sincerely hope you're right, though.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

tracecomplete posted:

Bankruptcy courts are not in the business of dispensing justice.

In this case, and perhaps only this case, that is a good thing.

That's actually a pretty good point. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all shakes out.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Pirate Radar posted:

That’s concerning because it means he can keep doing something he’s clearly excellent at—losing court cases—and potentially gum up the process indefinitely.

I considered pointing this out but didn't want to seem like I was digging in. Some pretty solid points have been made against what I said and I'm willing to wait and see what happens.

But yeah, this is exactly what I feared. How will he weasel out of it? By stalling the court system indefinitely as rich people very often do. I think that's what started this discussion in the first place; just winning a case because you have more money than your opponent and can simply stall things until they can no longer afford to fight you. Might not apply here though, as the judgement has already been made.

There's no way he lives much longer anyway. The victims can pick his estate apart once his heart explodes.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Pirate Radar posted:

What people are looking for is basically for the trustee to wear a body cam and livestream his whole day of showing up to the InfoWars office, telling Jones what he can’t do, walking around the place telling them to sell stuff, finding half-full handles of Tito’s in random places

Yeah, I'd watch that.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Marsupial Ape posted:

I honestly like the idea of Alex being caught in a state of perpetual dread over his impending ruin. Every day the dread builds, but he’s always just half way there. Zeno’s Alcoholic.

That's more or less what he has been for a very long time now. He doesn't seem capable of caring or positivity. Every moment he is alive, at least from the look of him, is just a lonely, miserable state of agony. Just filled with dread and hatred and paranoia.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Cantorsdust posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/11/28/alex-jones-bankruptcy-sandy-hook-settlement/

tldr: Families offer to settle the $1.5 billion debt for $8.5 million per year x 10 years plus 50% of any income over $9 million per year. This represents only 6% of the total owed.

I understand why they would make that offer:
1) it’s likely the most they can expect to get from him in the first place
2) it gets them money sooner rather than dragging this through court for years
3) it gets that claim going now before further judgements come down in his other pending defamation trials, increasing the chance that they’re the creditors that get the money
4) it makes them look like reasonable people who made a good faith offer, which will piss off the judge if Jones rejects it.

However, some part of me is sad to see Jones not get nailed to the wall for $Texas amount of money.

Doesn't really make a difference. He wasn't going to pay the billion, and he won't pay this. He himself openly said as much.

The court will continue to do nothing even as he spends 100k+/month while claiming he is broke.

As badly and hilariously his case was botched, he is rich and the courts will not do anything to harm him unless his opponent is an equally rich man.

Edit: I'm still glad he is perpetually the most miserable being on the planet and will be until he dies from a rage-induced heart attack, hopefully live on-air.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 10, 2023

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGAAhzreGWw

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

And there it is.

Remember how many people were doomerism in how Alex would never pay? Good times.

He still hasn't paid anything yet, and you have a lot more faith in the speed of our legal system against the rich than you probably should.

Call me cynical, but I'll celebrate when it actually starts to happen.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 21, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

listening to today's Knowledge Fight, and Alex is drunk as gently caress and clearly depressed and its great

Money does buy happiness and it is funny as gently caress to me that he just outright refuses to buy it and insteads opts to be just constantly miserable.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

bird with big dick posted:

He can't buy it now if he does then it just goes to the bankruptcy court

Nah, he's still spending huge amounts of money every month, not even including court-related costs.

The courts will never make him pay those families. They'll drag their feet on this the way they do with all rich white men. This really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

I do believe the families will be paid; I just don't believe it will happen before his inevitable rage-induced heart attack/stroke.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

vortmax posted:

Money doesn't really buy happiness, but it buys security, which is necessary for happiness. Some rich people decide to be miserable. Notch is our favorite example of it not buying happiness.

Notch is unhappy because he chose to gently caress over everyone who helped him get rich. He could have used his money to make them rich too.

You don't have to buy happiness, but speaking as someone who grew up dirt poor, it absolutely can buy happiness. Call it security, call it freedom, but not having to worry about retirement, food, housing, education, basic healthcare, etc. immensely boosts your happiness.

I might reword it to say that money doesn't buy happiness, but poverty definitely buys misery. Rich people can be miserable too, but they have the means to at least try and remedy it without destroying themselves financially. Whether they do that or not is up to them, but having the choice is nice.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 22, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Carth Dookie posted:

I wish I could pull up the study but I can't recall where it was.

It was basically trying to figure out how much money is required to be "happy." Turns out it was surprisingly little per year. Enough that people could provide nice/comfortable food and shelter and healthcare reliably, with enough left over to pursue interests. That was it. Once that was achieved, there wasn't much difference. So if peak happiness was at $120K per year or something, there wasn't much difference between that and 500K. There was also little to no difference between 500K and 5M and so on.

I recall vaguely reading that it eventually becomes an addiction to having money and having the amount increase. No one ever needs 10 million, certainly not several hundred billion. There's nothing someone like Musk can't buy (except obvious poo poo like a dinosaur, I guess), but it isn't about having sufficient money for people like that. It's just about that number getting bigger.

I wonder how much growing up obscenely rich affects a person. Never really needing to work for anything, having your entire life, cradle to grave, paid for in advance. Anything you do work/train for is easier thanks to financial cushioning and parental contacts, and if you fail at it, whatever, you're still set for life. If you hate the job you got into, you can just quit. You don't need it. A failed business or career would be a minor setback to you, not the life-destroying catastrophe it would be for most other people. If one or both of your parents get busted for drugs, the police don't smash down your door and beat the poo poo out of them before roughly shoving them into a police cruiser to later be released in am unsupervised facility where they will be beaten and tortured by both other prisoners and the guards, they go to rehab in some luxurious treatment facility.

It sounds fantastic, but having not lived it, I wonder how it affects a person when you literally cannot want/need for a single thing ever. I know the families can be pretty hosed up, but that's a thing with poor people too, magnified by financial stresses, so I don't feel like it really belongs in the domain of "rich people problems". At the very least, even if your family relationships are all a mess, at least you can afford therapy to help cope with it.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 22, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Does Alex even actually have access to that cat? He said it was his kids' cat and I thought the divorce was extremely acrimonious and he got basically no custody.

I have no real reason to think this but it just seems to me like Jones wouldn't be a person who would enjoy the company of a cat, or vice-versa.

VVV Huh. VVV

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Xakura posted:

Then he sold his blood in weird reliquaries and did a kickstarter scam.

He's less evil, but he's still a billionaire, and all billionaires are evil.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Froghammer posted:

Well, how do we know your kid died when you say he did, gonna have to do carbon dating to figure out of the corpse is as old as you say it is.

The same exact people will then decry the accuracy of carbon dating when screeching about evolution or the age of the planet (I know that the age of the planet is measured with Uranium-Lead dating, but they don't.)

Everything that disproves the conspiracy is evidence of the conspiracy. These people are not worth the effort.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Alex Jones is a silly, stupid man who has too much money and should give most of it to the parents of dead children.

He will, once he is dead and the courts do it.

Until then, they will do what courts totally do with everybody who has to pay fines and make sure he is able to live and spend comfortably while intentionally trying to hide his money.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

BigBadSteve posted:

I haven't had the time to follow this thread for some months. Tell me pls, has rear end in a top hat Jones had to cough up any of his money to the relatives of victims yet, or is he still just clogging up the courts systems with more bogus bankruptcy claims? (At least he's presumably had to pay his lawyers.)

Not a loving dime, while spending tens of thousands freely every month.

It would be mean for the courts to harm his luxurious lifestyle, you see. But don't worry, he'll start paying any day now! The legal system isn't hopelessly broken and corrupt, the wheels just grind slow.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 22, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Outrail posted:

Maybe after he dies of alcoholism his ex wife and kids if he has them won't get any money.

And that's entirely on his own shittiness.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think Jones will die after getting a slight scratch or poking his skin on something and then popping like a balloon full of blood. If we could harness that man's blood pressure we could end our dependence on fossil fuels.

https://youtu.be/-gVKWD5p_Mg?si=qeK6YbTkqGC8mJCw

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Outrail posted:

The wheels of justice grind slowly but eventually everyone gets it. Everyone.

The Wheels of Justice are terrifyingly fast when they are crushing the poor.

Main Paineframe posted:

There's is a $1.5 billion judgment against him, and the courts are laying the groundwork to liquidate all of his assets and property (except for the small portion that will be left to him afterward, because civil lawsuits aren't meant to completely clean someone out). The primary reason it's taken so long is that forensic accountants have been extensively digging through and tracing his finances to find all the money he was trying to hide from the courts.

Any day now!

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Outrail posted:

Why not give him a tiny allowance to live on to and confiscate everything and continue to confiscate everything as it is discovered?

Like, if a regular person is undergoing bankruptcy process are they allowed to live a luxury lifestyle with the money they owe someone else?

This has been explained.

The courts are famously considerate of a defendant's preferred lifestyle, you see, and will go to great lengths to ensure they do not infringe on your comfort level in any way.

It would be cruel to deprive him of his lifestyle.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

This is the bit where you miss the point. Say what you will about the justice of the System, but from the System’s point of view, the important thing is not that AJ lost, it’s that he owes people $Texas. And the way to ensure that those people get as close to $Texas as they can is not to throw AJ in an oubliette, but to keep him working and earning more fractions of that $Texas.

They aren't getting that money, though. How much did OJ owe? How much did he pay?

quote:

The System is not designed to punish people like AJ, but to make sure that most people who are owed money by most normal bankruptcy debtors get as much of that money back as they can. And yes it’s unsatisfying in this case, where that debtor is an obvious scumbag and charlatan who should be ground into a fine paste. But a System that is built for the edge case that is AJ probably also incidentally grounds a lot of people who don’t deserve it into a fine paste. So given that trade off, going with the System that helps the normal case at the expense of the one-in-a-million AJ scenario is an understandable call, much less not a sign of mental illness.

Again, though, no one has gotten any money from him at all, and the system does crush regular Joes into paste on a regular basis, quite swiftly at that. The only person being helped right now is Jones, as the courts are bending over backwards to make sure his standard of living in unaffected by any of this. Where is the protection for his victims?

The system is designed to protect the wealthy and destroy the poor. This should be pretty obvious.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 25, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Slyphic posted:

Being paid the maximum amount of a fine over an infinite time span is not the entire extent of justice. Timeliness matters. The pain to the losing party matters every bit as much as whatever recompense the wronged receives.

Don't do this corpo personhood maximimizing shareholder value view of justice. You're better than that.

It also ignores the fact that no one is getting any $ at all, except Alex Jones.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Tree Dude posted:

I think about a line from cancelled podcast host Andrew Torrez a lot where they compared Alex Jones being allowed to continue broadcasting so he can make money to pay his debts to the families to an Asbestos factory being allowed to keep selling Asbestos in order to pay the people harmed by their product.

I feel like a broken record here, but I'm gonna point out again this this is not happening.

The only person getting money right now is Alex Jones. Only his interests are being considered or protected. The families have gotten nothing, even with 95% of his assets being blocked off to him. Alex has not paid a single dime out. He has openly sworn that he never will. The families are getting nothing.

Why is Jones even allowed to just intentionally shuffle cash around in a clear attempt to fool the court? Why is he free to do as he pleases while they slowly sift through the mess he has made for them? Is there no penalty for trying to trick a bankruptcy court?

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 25, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

what is your loving point man? that justice is being denied? ok!

People keep saying that his money is frozen and he is still allowed to work and be paid so he can pay out his judgment.

My point is that he isn't paying out anything. The only person getting paid in this is Jones. His victims are the ones being forced to do without, not him.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Main Paineframe posted:

the money is in the custody of the court, which will pay it out as soon as the lawyers work out the exact specific manner in which it should be paid

(there's lots of decisions to make here. for example, whether to go easy on him and maximize the long-term payout, or fire-sale off all his assets even if it means a lower total payout. it takes time for all the various lawyers involved to work out the specifics)

So Alex is still getting paid a lot more than most people, and the victims he owes are forced to wait.

Really seems like a win for Alex from the perspective of his victims. He lives lavishly and they might get something someday.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Megabound posted:

They can't put him in jail and they already control all his assets. The money he's using for holidays must not be getting handed to him via a legal method so what can they do at all to curtail the behavior? Would you have everyone who enters bankruptcy be put on a no fly list? Give them a special card that they must use for all transactions? Anything they put on him (short of throwing him in a cell, which they can't do) is going to be worked around and more crimes are going to be done.

Not at all.

If they were ordered by a court to pay out damages to people they harmed, though, I would expect the court to enforce those payments, especially if they immediately start publicly shouting that they never intend to make those payments at all.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Megabound posted:

That is what they're doing tho. In order to enforce payments you need to figure out where all the money is so you know how much money there is to go around and how it should be divvied up. You think AJ will just hand over financials and go "Yep, that's all of it I swear" and be telling the truth?

Of course not. It would be nice if he got some sort of penalty for making it so loving difficult to do by intentionally loving around with his finances to hide everything, though.

Regrettable posted:

Why are people still responding to this like it's going to change something? They just came here to whine and act superior.

Really, I just take offense at people pretending this is at all how the courts treat normal people.

I've seen how the courts treat the poor. They are terrifyingly swift in dealing with you if you aren't worth millions, and they don't give one single poo poo if you can pay your judgment, or if doing so will significantly worsen your quality of life.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 26, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Megabound posted:

You reckon there might be a fundamental difference when working out the finances of a poor person who owes money and a rich person who owes money? One of those people has far more methods available to them of hiding their money.

Yeah, but why can't the courts be as mindful of how damaging the fines can be for the poor like they are for the rich? Why does Jones get to keep enough money to build a compound and maintain his preferred level of comfort while some poor regular Joe gets steamrolled? Why can't Joe also maintain a decent standard of living?

I'm not even saying treat the rich worse. Just... treat the poor better.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 26, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Megabound posted:

They're not being mindful. They have teams of people on finding out where AJs money is. During this phase he's difficult to curtail because they don't know where his money is. How can you punish someone for hiding money when you don't know where the money is hidden and how much of it there is? AJ will continue to reap the benefits of all his devious dealings until it's found and then the he will be able to be punished to the full extent.

Let's forget the punishment for a minute, and assume that he isn't hiding poo poo.

They are still letting him earn an income that maintains his current lifestyle and eventually make restitution. I find it distasteful in his case specifically, but I'll admit, applied to everyone, it would be a humane system.

All I'm asking is why the courts can't do that for a poor person too.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Megabound posted:

Well talk about that in a loving criminal justice thread instead of one about Alex Jones

I thought Jones' case was a civil case.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

The Pirate Captain posted:

How much is he getting from the bankruptcy court to live on? Isn’t it something ridiculous like $50k/month?

We went over this. Civil courts are very fair and consider the comfort and lifestyle preferences of all who move through them.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

SonOfGhostDad posted:

Looks like the FSS bankruptcy will get a decision in June, and FSS will not be able to reorganize.

Well, that's refreshingly soon. Hopefully I've been wrong this whole time. I will gladly eat crow if I was.

Serious question for those in the know, if it turns out Jones was obviously obfuscating his finances to slow this whole process down, is there a consequence for that? What would it typically be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

bird with big dick posted:

I bought this on facebook marketplace and it arrived yesterday, frozen and packed in dry ice. It is from the very same batch of chili that reportedly drove Alex Jones insane. I will be eating it and reporting my findings as well as having a lab analysis performed.

I don't think you should eat that.