Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I've been keeping a list of simple game concepts for a while now, and I'm building my way up to start working on something as a serious project this year. Honestly we're probably all doing this lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mbt posted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/321492877324713984/1001604894144331797/2022-07-26_17-39-40-1.webm
i spent the last few months making an smt-type game.
still working on framework stuff atm, I need to find a competent pixel artist who can draw smt2 style character sprites.

open thread for anyone to post what they work on :cheers:

Evil Eagle posted:

Best of luck op. I also got inspired a while back to try and program a press turn battle system, but I never got past making a simple 4 on 4 battle (mostly) work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuH0uezscQs

Still go back and look at the code every so often but I haven't made many improvements, hopefully your project makes it further. Can never have enough press turn

these both look loving awesome

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

I’m going to make a sequel to god hand. I will not be taking questions

no need for any

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

tmfc posted:

when i was a kid i used to make rpg maker "games" that were more like interactive stories because i didn't understand scripting or event triggers lol, i made one for my friend for his birthday that involved searching the map for chests with keys that would unlock a series of doors that led to a Blink 182 concert

lmao awesome

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

that's what true friendship looks like

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mbt posted:

i found an ancient prototype i made a few years ago. its a card-based rpg that controls kind of like spacestation 13 with tick-based grid movement. also it was multiplayer

that looks cool

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

the only game I've ever "finished" making was this buggy Newgrounds-y HTML5 + JS game that I put together as part of a class, it was my first Javascript project too. Incredibly simple "find and click the objects" type of thing that only really works on desktops. the music is obviously unauthorized and only works like half the time too lol

https://impzone.club/spy/

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Leadthumb posted:

battle animation tests

walking animations

some enemies

holy poo poo that looks fantastic

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

More games should go for a GB aesthetic

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Leadthumb posted:

This is all a personal attack to take over the project for myself, or so I've heard.

lol christ

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I would love to get to the point where I could make pixel sprites that look that good. Really amazing work

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

they’re all good. personal fav is the skeleton knight wielding a gravestone shield

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol I’d play that

Leadthumb posted:

Been looking for this forever. Man I should have repaired these drives forever ago.

:ocelot:

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Leadthumb posted:

The file says created march, 2011. gently caress man, old dreams don't die, I love video games.

never be game over

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

that Moai head one is haunting me. So good lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Leadthumb posted:

I've been thinking about spy, and how if there was a 3D version where you have to rotate the building around to be able to see things that only show up at the right angle like you really gotta root around for stuff, and there's different buildings like a haunted house and a lab or something, and while you're zoomin around with your little view you run into something rare once in a while that catches you off guard like in warioware *takes a deep breath* I would play the poo poo outta that.

lol I would too

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Leadthumb posted:

I've been thinking about spy, and how if there was a 3D version where you have to rotate the building around to be able to see things that only show up at the right angle like you really gotta root around for stuff, and there's different buildings like a haunted house and a lab or something, and while you're zoomin around with your little view you run into something rare once in a while that catches you off guard like in warioware *takes a deep breath* I would play the poo poo outta that.

maybe I'll expand on this thing some day, I only had two weeks to put this together so it was pretty rushed. but I like these ideas a lot. wouldn't even know where to start with 3D game development though lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

beat my score, imps. I bet someone can

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

newly obsessed with the big goblin’s head and how much depth & expression it has

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Leadthumb, tell your dumbass HS friend to get their poo poo together because this stuff is really good

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mbt posted:

or ditch them and ill do it

yeah same honestly lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

The Kins posted:

here are some sprites i did for one of the doom mods where i actually drew them myself instead of frankensteining other people's sprites together or doing makeshift renders of ripped 3d models. you know those little figurines from doom 2016? these are basically that. there's a halo man because the xbox bethesda buyout was happening at the time.

lol those look great

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Leadthumb posted:

Speaking of, I guess when I hooked up my old stuff one of them was set up as a stripe and tried to pair with my other drive and blew it away, radical.

edit: false alarm haha! I didn't almost have a heart attack.

saved at the last second by imp magic... close one

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Leadthumb posted:

Made these today, is this anything?

fuckin cool

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Leadthumb posted:

Giant eater

god drat dude

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Bolverkur posted:

years ago I had an idea with a friend to make an rpg in the style of Link's Awakening on GBC where you were a skeleton in the monster underworld/dark world like in Dragon Quest and Link to the Past. never got anywhere with it and struggled to make even the most basic poo poo, having no artistic skills whatsoever. but drawing pixels is fun and messing around with unity was cool. i've also dreamed about taking the same premise and making a Harvest Moon game. this thread has too much good poo poo in it so here is some stuff from the skeleton village.

it was called Skeleton's Quests

lol cool that is a rad skeleton sprite

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I really like this little dude lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

here comes a special boy!

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mbt posted:

I think i've found a happy medium.

building 3d levels is usually pretty miserable, but there's a few games where regular people make maps pretty easily, and fast

someone wrote code to pull in trenchbroom / wads into godot lol. i can just make a bunch of levels in this. I would have dungeon crawling through doom/quake-ish levels, complete with keys and puzzles and stuff. this also allows for very easy first-strike combat, and opens the door for powerups in that aspect (bfg that just immediately vaporizes enemies)

this is what it looks like
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/321492877324713984/1013625678383566908/2022-08-28_21-45-22-1.webm

hell yeah this looks cool

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lmao

That Little Demon posted:

you could sell the game off that image alone

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Humble has a Unity tools/assets bundle going right now: https://www.humblebundle.com/software/unity-tools-software

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

excited to play bobquest

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mbt posted:

hired a guy to make me some sprites. this one is ptah egyptian god of craftsmen

mbt posted:

this is sepa, gods of centipedes and protector of the dead

loving cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU