Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Current Episode

About the Game

Stray is a 2022 puzzle exploration game created by BlueTwelveo Studio and published by Annpurna Interactive. It follows the story of a stray cat in a cyberpunk setting as it falls into a city populated by robots, machines and other strange creatures.

Along the way our catty friend meets B-12, a robot seeking its lost memory and together they embark on an adventure the likes of which most cats have seen before.

What does our illustrious kitty want? Treats? Head scritches? A more equitable society? All these things are things I hope to find out on this LP!

About the LP

Unsurprisingly I haven't really played through a game that came out less than a week ago at the time of writing, so this is a Blind Playthrough of the game. I don't imagine I'm going to get too lost but please have a little understanding if I meander about on this run.

Given the subject matter my talking will be more subdued than what you might expect out of my usual fare as I try to let you enjoy the world of stray whilst also giving a little insight into my own thoughts and processes.

Episodes will release on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday at 11pm BST, 6pm EST (or as close to that as I can manage) with cheeky Patreon early episodes for those who are really invested.

OP Art has been created by the amazing Bifauxnen

Episodes

Links

Our Patreon! - In case you want to support our LPs and see episodes early! (Incidentally this is also the only place where I can actually time video releases, so if I need to delay posting a video here, it will show up on Patreon on its own.)

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Our cat must have a name.

I will accept any and all suggestions here. The most popular name after the first two episodes air wins.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
The cats name is Bruce.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man, it's kind of odd to see a Nat 20 LP without Yorkshire Tea along for the ride!

Stray is great, and in particular I love the way it communicates the cat's emotions entirely through the ways an actual cat would communicate emotions. No personifying or cartooniness, our protagonist is just A Cat. If maybe one with a bit more capacity for abstract reasoning than a real cat would have.

I wonder if feral cats name each other. Cats can definitely recognise their own names from humans, so they understand the concept. There doesn't seem to be any humans in our cat's life but maybe he has a cat name. I dare you to spend this whole LP calling him moooow-ekek.
I am assuming the cat is a he, since he's a ginger and ginger cats are like 90% male.

As for why cats like knocking things off edges: cats like making a mess for the same sort of reason toddlers do. They do seem to have around the same amount of intelligence as a two or three year old, outside of language ability. I think they just like to be able to affect the environment around them, especially disproportionately to how much effor they had to put in to do it.
And they absolutely understand when they're being little bastards about it. My cat will pointedly go and knock things off the mantelpiece when she's annoyed at us.

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade
Obviously, our cat is Tea, in honor of Yorkshire Tea.

Hector will defend the walls of his home from the headcrab expies.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Lil' Mog sounds like a good cat name.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hmm. I vote Snoot. Or Tea Leaf.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
What we call cats- Fluffy.

What they call themselves- the mighty Athena, destroyer of dogs, clawer of carpets, muncher of mice, etc etc etc.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Litterbug, the cat who fell into the trash pit

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Thomas O'Malley of course

edit: see below

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 27, 2022

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Speechless character battling headcrabs? Obviously the cat is Gordon.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

smax posted:

...never mind, changing my vote to Gordon

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

smax posted:

:sigh:

Yeah, this

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The cat should be named Tea Two.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

smax posted:

+1 to this suggestion. Cat game is a good game.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sure I saw in a corner Nat20 ran past someone wrote on the wall "RIP humans" or something.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I'll suggest the best name from that article about AI-generated cat names: Snox Boops

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
When I was a kid the family cat was named Pixel, which I think is perfect for a digikitty.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Jumping on the Gordon Freekitty bandwagon. He's even orange like the HEV suit!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Black Robe posted:

...never mind, changing my vote to Gordon

Another +1

Good timing for this popping up, since I really want to play the game but didn't want to dive right in at full price.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Skimbleshanks, Mungojerry, Jenny Anydots, McCavity, Rumpleteezer.

These are all terrible names and should not be considered. I vote for Snox Boops

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Samovar posted:

Skimbleshanks, Mungojerry, Jenny Anydots, McCavity, Rumpleteezer.

These are all terrible names and should not be considered. I vote for Snox Boops

May I suggest my previous suggestion of Snoot?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Quackles posted:

May I suggest my previous suggestion of Snoot?

Oh whoops I thought that WAS what you suggested. Stupid non-functioning eyes. Snoot Boops then.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

smax posted:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The cat's name should be Kitty because nobody ever calls a cat by their name unless they're talking about them and not to them so clearly that's what our illustrious feline identifies as.

I'd jump on the Gordon train but we have a dedicated meow button which already puts us at infinitely more speech capacity and communication agency than Gordon Freeman.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Shei-kun posted:

The cat's name should be Kitty because nobody ever calls a cat by their name unless they're talking about them and not to them so clearly that's what our illustrious feline identifies as.

I'd jump on the Gordon train but we have a dedicated meow button which already puts us at infinitely more speech capacity and communication agency than Gordon Freeman.

Nat's cat might as well be Gordon for as quiet as he is. I already had the meow 100 times achievement by the time I met B-12. My kitty was chatty!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah, I slammed that meow button.
I also modded the game so the cat looks like my cat, who is a siamese. They meow lots.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I mean, the fan puzzle is literally straight out of Half Life 2.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
"I've forgotten what I was trying to do." *immediately proceeds to knock several things off of ledges*

Excellent, you're perfectly in character already.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I think that this LP would be drastically enhanced by photos of Tea's cats. You know, to create atmosphere.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I do find it interesting that the first "cat jump on something but falls down" is a cutscene, but in the second one is just real-time rendering. I imagine they wanted the player to understand why the pipe would break for the cat but not the cat's friends/siblings, but second one was more surprising and immersive.

Nevertheless, here are a couple of suggestions for a cat's name:
  • Marsellus Wallace
  • Gordon Freecat

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Adjusting my vote to be for Gordon Fleaman

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I just call my cat Mew Mew despite her actually having a name.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Moggy McWigglesworth III.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

Samovar posted:

I vote for Snox Boops
Seconding this

I'm curious how the game will keep the puzzles fresh and interesting.
So far they seem pretty straightforward, but I imagine that if it's just "cat pushes X to progress", "cat sabotages machine with Y" or "cat plugs in machine" the game will get stale pretty quickly.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Congrats to our winner.

Gordan Fleaman.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The new episode came up and I brought my, erm, "cats" over to watch.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I need this game even more, just so I can run back and forth on a piano keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

NGDBSS posted:

The new episode came up and I brought my, erm, "cats" over to watch.

Oh my god I love them.