Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio

google THIS posted:

I have a shaker of everything bagel seasoning. I haven't quite figured out what other flavors it would complement so I usually just end up sprinkling it on an actual everything bagel to make it even more everything bagel-y and it's amazing

you could probably use it like furikake in a pinch. just sprinkle on a lil ball of rice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Nosfereefer posted:

i always get my spice from the asian import shops. i know poor fools who buy inferior spice for several times the price at super markets smh

this is the true spice secret. Yes I would like an entire pound of black peppercorns for $3

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
the spice must flow

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

poverty goat

i live in virginia, aka the other old bay and crabs state, and I'm here to say that old bay is a lot better if you cut it 50:50 with chef paul's blackened redfish seasoning

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

poverty goat posted:

i live in virginia, aka the other old bay and crabs state, and I'm here to say that old bay is a lot better if you cut it 50:50 with chef paul's blackened redfish seasoning

:wth: never heard of this. as a Midwesterner I don't eat underwater creatures of any kind so old bay is just for chicken.

I'm gonna mail order this chef Paul's if u think it'd be as good on chicken as old bay

:allears:

Macnult

one of Maryland's best kept seafood secrets is that if you're ordering crabs here, there's a good chance it has been seasoned with J.O. #2 (short for James Ozzle) instead of Old Bay. it does a better job of sticking to the crabs when they're being steamed and IMO it has a sweeter taste. it's even common for crab businesses to order their own special blend of J.O. seasoning to try and stand out from their competitors

Areola Grande

Macnult posted:

one of Maryland's best kept seafood secrets is that if you're ordering crabs here, there's a good chance it has been seasoned with J.O. #2 (short for James Ozzle) instead of Old Bay. it does a better job of sticking to the crabs when they're being steamed and IMO it has a sweeter taste. it's even common for crab businesses to order their own special blend of J.O. seasoning to try and stand out from their competitors

a lot of good j/o info in this post. ty macnult

Finger Prince

My go-to spices are:

Mild berbere - its an Ethiopian spice mix. Hot is also good but my parter doesn't do hot so mild is good. It's a great steak rub.

Ras al Hanout - which basically means "top shelf spices". It's like masala in that it can be a mix of all sorts of stuff, whatever the mixer prefers. But it's usually generally useful.

Sweet pimenton - Spanish paprika. Comes in sweet/mild, and spicy. Always smoky. Much more flavour than regular-rear end paprika.

Honorable mention to hawaij spice mix from Yemen. It's a great yellow spice mix that goes great on roast vegetables and for making pilau rice. Sadly I doubt I can get any here so what I've got is what I've got.

Other honourable mention goes to caraway seeds, which are an essential ingredient to any eastern European cabbage or sauerkraut based dish. Also kicks rear end in rye bread. Try putting them in coleslaw!

Areola Grande

don't get too caraway'd :D

xcheopis

Finger Prince posted:

My go-to spices are:

Mild berbere - its an Ethiopian spice mix. Hot is also good but my parter doesn't do hot so mild is good. It's a great steak rub.

Ras al Hanout - which basically means "top shelf spices". It's like masala in that it can be a mix of all sorts of stuff, whatever the mixer prefers. But it's usually generally useful.

Sweet pimenton - Spanish paprika. Comes in sweet/mild, and spicy. Always smoky. Much more flavour than regular-rear end paprika.

Honorable mention to hawaij spice mix from Yemen. It's a great yellow spice mix that goes great on roast vegetables and for making pilau rice. Sadly I doubt I can get any here so what I've got is what I've got.

Other honourable mention goes to caraway seeds, which are an essential ingredient to any eastern European cabbage or sauerkraut based dish. Also kicks rear end in rye bread. Try putting them in coleslaw!

Za'atar is also quite nice.

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Not really a spice, but dried mushroom powder is very versatile and keeps longer than fresh mushrooms.

xcheopis

Buttchocks posted:

Not really a spice, but dried mushroom powder is very versatile and keeps longer than fresh mushrooms.

I would use that, as I no longer like actual mushrooms.

Ohtori Akio

xcheopis posted:

I would use that, as I no longer like actual mushrooms.

the texture is simply undesirable i feel

if i want umami i have so many options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

Ohtori Akio posted:

the texture is simply undesirable i feel

if i want umami i have so many options

Yeah, same. Pity, I used to be fine 'em. Eh, whatcha gonna do. Physiology is weird.