Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xcheopis

Areola Grande posted:

I have allspice and celery seed but recipes almost never call for them. perhaps they shall fossilize someday

Sprinkle allspice on ice cream or hot pie. Also does well in chilli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

Areola Grande posted:

what about the celery seed

Good for savoury dishes. Also soups and stews!

xcheopis

Areola Grande posted:

just dash it over some beef stew? I might do that

celery seed owns :regd10:

You can put it in the stew as it simmers.

xcheopis

Areola Grande posted:

this is probably because old bay is mostly sodium and in my experience Californians tend 2 go with a Mediterranean diet which keeps them bronzed and annoying but with medium blood pressure somehow

We get our sodium from Mexican and Chinese food, which are tastier than Old Bay.

xcheopis

I will die on this hill, bleeding salsa and soy sauce.

xcheopis

Finger Prince posted:

My go-to spices are:

Mild berbere - its an Ethiopian spice mix. Hot is also good but my parter doesn't do hot so mild is good. It's a great steak rub.

Ras al Hanout - which basically means "top shelf spices". It's like masala in that it can be a mix of all sorts of stuff, whatever the mixer prefers. But it's usually generally useful.

Sweet pimenton - Spanish paprika. Comes in sweet/mild, and spicy. Always smoky. Much more flavour than regular-rear end paprika.

Honorable mention to hawaij spice mix from Yemen. It's a great yellow spice mix that goes great on roast vegetables and for making pilau rice. Sadly I doubt I can get any here so what I've got is what I've got.

Other honourable mention goes to caraway seeds, which are an essential ingredient to any eastern European cabbage or sauerkraut based dish. Also kicks rear end in rye bread. Try putting them in coleslaw!

Za'atar is also quite nice.

xcheopis

Buttchocks posted:

Not really a spice, but dried mushroom powder is very versatile and keeps longer than fresh mushrooms.

I would use that, as I no longer like actual mushrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

Ohtori Akio posted:

the texture is simply undesirable i feel

if i want umami i have so many options

Yeah, same. Pity, I used to be fine 'em. Eh, whatcha gonna do. Physiology is weird.