Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

DrSunshine posted:

Real talk? I would give like 995 million of it to form some kind of foundation or organization that would buy up land and properties and convert them into condos to give for free to the most unfortunate living in metropolitan areas.

And also part of it would fund a climate change lobbying SuperPAC that would buy ads and fund political campaigns to the most radical climate change activists.

The 5 million I would split between my most beloved people to give them the money to help them live comfortably for the rest of our lives.
That sounds nice until you have a billion dollars, but when you actually have a billion dollars and start looking at the transactions to give away 995 million you'd probably pause for a moment, start considering whether or not the charities would use the money productively or whether they'd just pay for the various failchildren and relatives of wealthier people that typically gather high salaries from "running" these charities. You'd also weigh the pros and cons of "hey I could give them 995 million now or I could invest it for a few years and give them more later, wouldn't it be better for me to nurture this nest egg and curate the usage", but would the payout ever come or would you just continue repeating this excuse regardless of growth? Family and friends seems like an easy out but after you give away some and they come back asking for some more you'd wonder if they really need the stuff they're asking for, they don't seem any happier now than they were before and there's always going to be more requests. Your relationship to your wealth and the people or organizations you'd initially like to give it to will change.

I dunno I'd probably hide it from basically everyone but my wife and brother. First and foremost I'd see what my wife wanted to do with the money because it's hers too. Beyond that I'd like to say I would use my share to pay off all my friends/family debts and give them a cushy arrangement, but I know enough about my family to know that'd go badly and honestly my good friends don't really "need" the help vs the risk of just absolutely destroying the relationship when money gets involved. I doubt I'd spend much of it, I already make more money than I need to maintain my life and just sock it away into retirement/savings like a dragon because I'm boring, also going too lavish would ruin the whole "hiding it" aspect. If I was feeling particularly ambitious I might try to set up anonymous grants for education or research topics that are important but uneconomical, like say climate change, but I'd probably want to do it as a will so I didn't feel personally invested in the money and cause issues with my life monitoring how it was spent, which would likely be too late to affect positive change in the areas I'm presently concerned about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Bad Purchase posted:

i would burn it like my hero the joker

I change my answer to this but it would be a pyre for myself. Imagine going out in the flames of a billion dollars, a hell of a performance art.