Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor

like, spiderman I get. he's not powerful or rich enough to keep aunty may and mary jane safe from his enemies so by donning a mask he at least makes his foes put some effort into striking at him via the ones he loves.

batman though, wtf. richest man in gotham, if he wants to "fight crime" he could just have his limo pull up in poorsville and he could start wailing on whoever he liked, cops wouldn't do nothing. worst consequence would be a supervillain trying to get him cancelled because of wayne corps polluting and labor code violations, but lol, the rich are above shame as they are above the law. the only person bruce wayne cares about is alfred and I'm p' sure alfred can take care of himself. if he can't, bruce can hire a private army to keep him safe.

superman's also pretty puzzling. he gains nothing by being able to pass himself off as human. he's got super hearing and super eyesight and probably super computer hacking in newer iterations. like, he can find stuff out without pretending to be clark kent. he could stash lois layne and the kents in the justice league moon base or antarctica or whatever, it's not like anyone's going to mess with a living god's lover and family anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nazca

Lord and Savior of KarmaFleet

The Voice of Labor posted:

like, spiderman I get. he's not powerful or rich enough to keep aunty may and mary jane safe from his enemies so by donning a mask he at least makes his foes put some effort into striking at him via the ones he loves.

batman though, wtf. richest man in gotham, if he wants to "fight crime" he could just have his limo pull up in poorsville and he could start wailing on whoever he liked, cops wouldn't do nothing. worst consequence would be a supervillain trying to get him cancelled because of wayne corps polluting and labor code violations, but lol, the rich are above shame as they are above the law. the only person bruce wayne cares about is alfred and I'm p' sure alfred can take care of himself. if he can't, bruce can hire a private army to keep him safe.

superman's also pretty puzzling. he gains nothing by being able to pass himself off as human. he's got super hearing and super eyesight and probably super computer hacking in newer iterations. like, he can find stuff out without pretending to be clark kent. he could stash lois layne and the kents in the justice league moon base or antarctica or whatever, it's not like anyone's going to mess with a living god's lover and family anyway.

I think that if every super hero was an egotistical dictator that didn't care about what others thought of them the stories would be boring.

The other identity lets them attempt a semi normal life.

In the case of batman, he literally commits crime. Yeah the cops call on him or what not and kind of look the other way. But some judge somewhere is sure to charge him if they only knew his true identity!

Signature lovingly crafted by Jinh.

The Voice of Labor

nazca posted:

I think that if every super hero was an egotistical dictator that didn't care about what others thought of them the stories would be boring.

In the case of batman, he literally commits crime. Yeah the cops call on him or what not and kind of look the other way. But some judge somewhere is sure to charge him if they only knew his true identity!

if I recall, super hero being an egotistical dictator was one of the plot lines in alan moore's marvel man and it was a pretty good comic.

moon night, who has not one but three secret identities is usually a pretty garbage comic.

nazca

if I recall, super hero being an egotistical dictator was one of the plot lines in alan moore's marvel man and it was a pretty good comic.

moon night, who has not one but three secret identities is usually a pretty garbage comic.

:shrug:

I just mean if every superhero just did what they wanted all the time with no repercussions because they were super it wouldn't be very fun.

Also I don't think they need them.

Stoner Sloth

nazca posted:

problem is that as written they end up as egotistical dictators for the status quo - superman in particular has the power to remove every corrupt or evil administration in the world but doesn't, indeed he puts a stop to those who would assassinate tyrants or use political violence to fight oppression.

superman refuses to put a stop to evil in the world yet preaches decorum to those who suffer under it. he punishes people driven to crime by a life time lived in an abusive system. the only way he can escape from the amorality of this is to masquerade as a normal human and pretend to be powerless to change things for the better, so he can feel that he should only have the agency of a man while regularly exercising the power of a god to protect a system that is immoral to the core

let's face it Clark Kent doesn't exist to protect superman, or his loved ones, from his enemies, Clark Kent exists to protect superman from his conscience

nazca

Stoner Sloth posted:

problem is that as written they end up as egotistical dictators for the status quo - superman in particular has the power to remove every corrupt or evil administration in the world but doesn't, indeed he puts a stop to those who would assassinate tyrants or use political violence to fight oppression.

superman refuses to put a stop to evil in the world yet preaches decorum to those who suffer under it. he punishes people driven to crime by a life time lived in an abusive system. the only way he can escape from the amorality of this is to masquerade as a normal human and pretend to be powerless to change things for the better, so he can feel that he should only have the agency of a man while regularly exercising the power of a god to protect a system that is immoral to the core

let's face it Clark Kent doesn't exist to protect superman, or his loved ones, from his enemies, Clark Kent exists to protect superman from his conscience

I'm pretty down with this.

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Their secret identity incorporates a series of shell companies in the Bahamas to avoid taxes, then buys multiple properties and "rents" them out to their superhero identity in order to launder money.

Or they set up a "normal" identity in order to claim their superhero identity is really a trademarked "character" persona in order to claim protected speech and legal immunity, like Alex Jones.

Or its a way to pursue mundane hobbies like ham radio or playing in a jazz combo without the superhero thing overshadowing everything.

Mekchu

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so their identity can register the trademark & copyright info on their super hero persona OP

Heather Papps

hello friend

this is one of the many reasons i love hellboy so much. he's this giant demon guy, all the time, and people see him interacting with the world and being alive for a fairly long time. he's just a weird micro-celebrity.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

The Voice of Labor

Stoner Sloth posted:

given the similar power levels and that dr. manhattan was pressed on this very thing after he watched the comedian kill his girlfriend, in your opinion is it safe to say that dr. manhattan hides behind his dong?

Mekchu

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

given the similar power levels and that dr. manhattan was pressed on this very thing after he watched the comedian kill his girlfriend, in your opinion is it safe to say that dr. manhattan hides behind his dong?

he's got a massive dong and can make a wall of them, so yes he can hide behind it

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
to be fair, i can kind of see why the lame superheroes, like aquaman, doesnt want to be found out

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WithoutTheFezOn
Oh no
It’s to avoid getting a ton of junk mail.

Twenty Four

Reversing it and touting my fake identity as a superhero, with publicity to the max, to cover for the fact that I'm just a mundane regular easy-going person in secret.

The Voice of Labor

nazca posted:

:shrug:

I just mean if every superhero just did what they wanted all the time with no repercussions because they were super it wouldn't be very fun.

you've described the boys which is, in fact, very fun. nothing personal, but your comic book intuition is kinda broken

Escape From Noise

You don't pull on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
And you can't gently caress with me and my men

HTH OP

Escape From Noise

The Tick's secret identity is so secret that we never find out what it is, and The Tick is the most fun superhero.

Meeksha

i did it all for the nookie
Ask me how!
-freb dust
clark kent is really superman? no way, jose. clark kent WANTS you to think that. clark kent is actually bruce wayne. think about it... how often do you see them in the same room??

-----

come on and slam and welcome to the jam

Thank you Heather Papps for the summer sig!

Fart Dumbass

by Fluffdaddy

I like the idea that the subtext of batman is that everyone loving knows it's bruce wayne but he's a billionaire so of course they don't do poo poo about it. pulling up in his limo in poorsville and beating the poo poo out of anyone who likes is exactly what he does to the letter, the batmobile is the nicest car he owns and definitely the most expensive too. probably as long as a limo also

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Fart Dumbass posted:

I like the idea that the subtext of batman is that everyone loving knows it's bruce wayne but he's a billionaire so of course they don't do poo poo about it. pulling up in his limo in poorsville and beating the poo poo out of anyone who likes is exactly what he does to the letter, the batmobile is the nicest car he owns and definitely the most expensive too. probably as long as a limo also

yeah, basically its just bruce wayne living out his vigilante fantasy in his terrorized domain like a medieval lord. behind the masks and gettups, the material reality of gotham is that wayne industries is a dominant economical entity, which translates into very real political power. the joker is basically just a court fool - a reliable social pressure valve, which allows criticism of the lord in a way which doesn't actually threaten the socio-political structure at all. observe all the times the joker has rightfully called out batman's hypocrisy, while simultaneously combining said criticism with some far-fetched scheme batman inevitably foils. it's purely ceremonial, a play to confirm and solidify bruce wayne's iron grip on his fiefdom.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
It's this:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It’s to avoid getting a ton of junk mail.

Being a superhero would make you a magnet for enough junk mail to form a small black hole just inside your lair door's mail slot that would collapse in on itself and suck all your goodies into a singularity that I'm pretty sure homeowner's insurance wouldn't cover the cost of replacing...

Pot Smoke Phoenix fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 2, 2022

The Voice of Labor

when batman gets all that science and manufacturing stuff delivered to the batcave I bet he pays more for the stuff to be delivered clandestinely and confidentially than he pays for the stuff being delivered. his mask fetish is wasting money in figures we can't even imagine

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
If your secret identity is another superhero, you can divide your superpowers into more focused markets.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
in a way, if you think about it, we are all dr manhattan's dong, smothered by the underpants of life

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Fart Dumbass

by Fluffdaddy

when batman gets all that science and manufacturing stuff delivered to the batcave I bet he pays more for the stuff to be delivered clandestinely and confidentially than he pays for the stuff being delivered. his mask fetish is wasting money in figures we can't even imagine

i liked when the explanation for how he could have stuff like that crafted without arousing suspicion was basically that he bought like a million of them at a time as if that was normal.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

google THIS

Fart Dumbass posted:

i liked when the explanation for how he could have stuff like that crafted without arousing suspicion was basically that he bought like a million of them at a time as if that was normal.

The secret sequel to the Dark Knight trilogy is Robin trying to sell a warehouse full of black cowls with bat ears as planters to raise more money for the orphanage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor

oh poo poo, that's right. frank miller made a weird master race batman third series I never read and had completely forgotten about until now