Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nazca

Lord and Savior of KarmaFleet

The Voice of Labor posted:

like, spiderman I get. he's not powerful or rich enough to keep aunty may and mary jane safe from his enemies so by donning a mask he at least makes his foes put some effort into striking at him via the ones he loves.

batman though, wtf. richest man in gotham, if he wants to "fight crime" he could just have his limo pull up in poorsville and he could start wailing on whoever he liked, cops wouldn't do nothing. worst consequence would be a supervillain trying to get him cancelled because of wayne corps polluting and labor code violations, but lol, the rich are above shame as they are above the law. the only person bruce wayne cares about is alfred and I'm p' sure alfred can take care of himself. if he can't, bruce can hire a private army to keep him safe.

superman's also pretty puzzling. he gains nothing by being able to pass himself off as human. he's got super hearing and super eyesight and probably super computer hacking in newer iterations. like, he can find stuff out without pretending to be clark kent. he could stash lois layne and the kents in the justice league moon base or antarctica or whatever, it's not like anyone's going to mess with a living god's lover and family anyway.

I think that if every super hero was an egotistical dictator that didn't care about what others thought of them the stories would be boring.

The other identity lets them attempt a semi normal life.

In the case of batman, he literally commits crime. Yeah the cops call on him or what not and kind of look the other way. But some judge somewhere is sure to charge him if they only knew his true identity!

Signature lovingly crafted by Jinh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nazca

The Voice of Labor posted:

if I recall, super hero being an egotistical dictator was one of the plot lines in alan moore's marvel man and it was a pretty good comic.

moon night, who has not one but three secret identities is usually a pretty garbage comic.

:shrug:

I just mean if every superhero just did what they wanted all the time with no repercussions because they were super it wouldn't be very fun.

Also I don't think they need them.

nazca

Stoner Sloth posted:

problem is that as written they end up as egotistical dictators for the status quo - superman in particular has the power to remove every corrupt or evil administration in the world but doesn't, indeed he puts a stop to those who would assassinate tyrants or use political violence to fight oppression.

superman refuses to put a stop to evil in the world yet preaches decorum to those who suffer under it. he punishes people driven to crime by a life time lived in an abusive system. the only way he can escape from the amorality of this is to masquerade as a normal human and pretend to be powerless to change things for the better, so he can feel that he should only have the agency of a man while regularly exercising the power of a god to protect a system that is immoral to the core

let's face it Clark Kent doesn't exist to protect superman, or his loved ones, from his enemies, Clark Kent exists to protect superman from his conscience

I'm pretty down with this.