Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
like, imagine a conspiracy within facebook, or amazon, or whoever, that decides no matter what the consequences they're going to irretrievably destroy enough data and code that the company is unable to recover

how many people would it take, what would that process look like

what would the aftermath look like

...and how much money would it take to bribe them to do it? :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

it only takes 1, if its the right person

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
add a bug to the facebook code so whenever anyone types a ! in a comment or post it changes it to a ?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

you’d just need to launch the nuclear arsenal at every data center

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao those websites are stored in the clouds rockets would go straight thru them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hack the dns so when people went to facebook.com it redirected to fartbook.com which is an alias for facebook so the actual website doesn’t change but slowly more and more people would notice the url said fartbook and the share price would crumble

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

there was that one guy who ran some important city computer system in LA or somewhere who was the only person who knew the password. when he got fired he wouldn’t tell it to anyone and it screwed things up for a while. that’s something to try

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
make the company's site goatse except for company employees or when accessing it from the company's own network

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

one man can destroy all commercial software. his name, is linux torvalds. i am that man

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
the right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world -- da friggen gman

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

probably get mr magoo in a datacenter, that dude could cause so many shenanigans!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
probably just one person to gently caress up bgp really really bad

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
all it takes is to let a javascript developer anywhere near it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

all it takes is to let a javascript developer anywhere near it

facebook is full of javascript developers and it's doing fine... o wait

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

akadajet posted:

facebook is full of javascript developers and it's doing fine... o wait

lmao

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i'd say five

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I think one dude hosed up one line in a maintenance script for AWS that took like 25% of the internet offline back in 2017, right?

so not that many

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the problem is the DR stuff, if you dont get that too, everything just comes back.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

rotor posted:

the problem is the DR stuff, if you dont get that too, everything just comes back.

still a 50/50 chance of dr actually working i like those odds

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

how many people it takes to destroy a major tech company is a very different question than how many it takes to cause a significant service outage

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

just one, op

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
you for sure need to own the root cert, then tamper with all networking and server firmware so there is a time bomb to brick all infrastructure at one

even in that case you could redeploy on another cloud and restore from cold backups in a week if you plan stuff right

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

me I’m good at ruining things

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

probably just one person to gently caress up bgp really really bad

that's just an outage though. bgp would eventually get unfucked.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rotor posted:

rotor posted:

how many people it takes to destroy a major tech company is a very different question than how many it takes to cause a significant service outage

yeah i figured the backups would have to be attacked/compromised as well

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i would simply disconnect the internet

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Roosevelt posted:

i would simply disconnect the internet

:hmmyes:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
one cat to sit on the keyboard and another to "accidentally" jostle the power cord out of the wall

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I would presume a hilarious defect in the version control repo that goes unnoticed for ages that quitely eats away at the codebase. That gets replicated to every user and no has backups other than mirrors of the repo.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

how many people would it take to destroy every major tech company?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
actually I change my mind, you just need one dude to surreptitiously record normal business meeting where the c suite talks about all the crimes they commit

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Perplx posted:

actually I change my mind, you just need one dude to surreptitiously record normal business meeting where the c suite talks about all the crimes they commit

come on, be realistic

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

one man can destroy all commercial software. his name, is linux torvalds. i am that man

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’ve got bad news op, it’s likely impossible for most of the big tech cos by purely technical means. most have sufficient backups, redundancy, distributed services that they will eventually come up from any sort of failure.

better attack vectors are either cultural or financial. getting the dirt that HR has been hoarding and leaking it strategically might cause an employee revolt that brings a company down. or you could just get elon to bid for it.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
What if someone really senior in the company decides to invest unreasonably heavily in some kind of new technology which makes no sense and nobody wants and is horrible? Maybe that would do some damage.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Doom Mathematic posted:

What if someone really senior in the company decides to invest unreasonably heavily in some kind of new technology which makes no sense and nobody wants and is horrible? Maybe that would do some damage.

unfortunately that's still not going to bring a company down overnight, it'll be a long slow death that literally everyone can see coming from miles away that can easily be averted if there's someone sensible at the helm

in order to make it really stick that really senior person would have to keep doubling down beyond all reason, and also be functionally immune from being kicked out by someone even more senior

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
99% sure I've said this already but I'm going to chop off Mark Zuckerberg's head and penis with a samurai sword, shinobi execution style.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Huh, I guess I wasn't fully aware of how a shinobi execution worked.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
also if they were so bought-in that they changed the name of their company - that would help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

rotor posted:

the trick is to corrupt the data slowly over a long enough timescale that dr just recovers slightly less ruined data and doesnt fix anything