Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
one data engineer could probably ruin a company with basically bit-rot style data degredation that just fucks up a random string in the db every second until the entire graph db is just useless applesauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

how many tech ceo's fortunes would it take to destroy homelessness?

makes u think

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

akadajet posted:

how many tech ceo's fortunes would it take to destroy homelessness?

makes u think

Bezos might be able to singlehandedly destroy homelessness, but it'll never destroy homielessness.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Doom Mathematic posted:

What if someone really senior in the company decides to invest unreasonably heavily in some kind of new technology which makes no sense and nobody wants and is horrible? Maybe that would do some damage.

I assume you’re referencing facebook’s meta nonsense. but let’s not forget google plus, Apple car, windows phone, amazon Alexa, Intel anything that isn’t x86 processors…

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I think it would have to be some sort of big accounting fraud (even if it isn't necessary) or cover up but these companies are so big it would need to literally be the CEO to have long term reprocussions. I don't see how a knight capital style tech gently caress up would ever be enough. maybe data exposure?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

some core fb sdk overwriting disks with random data or disabling network access that requires manual intervention to recover
or hey aren’t there ways to brick cpus somehow?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Management posted:

I assume you’re referencing facebook’s meta nonsense. but let’s not forget google plus, Apple car, windows phone, amazon Alexa, Intel anything that isn’t x86 processors…

i think intel's networking stuff is still decent?

The Management posted:

I’ve got bad news op, it’s likely impossible for most of the big tech cos by purely technical means. most have sufficient backups, redundancy, distributed services that they will eventually come up from any sort of failure.

better attack vectors are either cultural or financial. getting the dirt that HR has been hoarding and leaking it strategically might cause an employee revolt that brings a company down. or you could just get elon to bid for it.

that's kinda why i asked how many people, obviously it'd have to be a real conspiracy in order to successfully sabotage the backups as well as the production stuff

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
lets all burn down the datacentres closest to us, as a prank

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
yes, youre not going to destroy a corporate entity overnight, thats something the company has to do to itself. The question is what is the value for N that you and N friends can gently caress up a major tech company bad enough to make it die eventually.

for instance:

all or nearly all user data on facebook is deleted, so everyone has to make a new account

all email on gmail and all search indexes are lost

and so forth

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

Alexa seems like it was pretty successful. Those smart speakers were everywhere for a few years there.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Poopernickel posted:

Alexa seems like it was pretty successful. Those smart speakers were everywhere for a few years there.

they sure were. sold at no margins with the hopes of making it up with, uh, …

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i think intel's networking stuff is still decent?

I knew someone was going to bring this up. yes, they’re still good.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

probably about five: a gruff no-nonsense englishman, a french canadian chemist, a black guy with a heart of gold, an asian lady with the strength of ten men, and a nerdy white guy to keep them all together

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cool av posted:

probably about five: a gruff no-nonsense englishman, a french canadian chemist, a black guy with a heart of gold, an asian lady with the strength of ten men, and a nerdy white guy to keep them all together

rotor posted:

i'd say five

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

they sure were. sold at no margins with the hopes of making it up with, uh, …

I knew someone was going to bring this up. yes, they’re still good.

Low margins, but not a money-loser. Not at the scale they were built / sold. I'd bet the hardware sales were profitable but barely. Most of them were also whitelabeled from contract manufacturers / outside design houses.

With that said, the money is in the collected data. Amazon keeps every Alexa query ever sent to them, forever. That kind of data gets used to build up their analytics on you (along with your Amazon purchases / searches, things you string on Prime, etc). Amazon sells that data to advertisers, uses it themselves, and also sells targeted ads.

So the moneymaker isn't the speakers as a hardware product. It's the data the speakers enable them to collect.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

cool av posted:

yep

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

they make it really easy to order stuff from amazon so it probably does what they set out for it to do

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
it would only take a single bad enough dude to get elected president and nuke Facebook

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

there would need to be some kind of gently caress up so bad that it completely eroded the trust of the user base enough that people just stopped logging in or buying their products. i am struggling to think of anything that would actually change the minds of the mass public so drastically, nevermind convincing everyone with irrefutable proof that whatever it was actually happened

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

polyester concept posted:

there would need to be some kind of gently caress up so bad that it completely eroded the trust of the user base enough that people just stopped logging in or buying their products. i am struggling to think of anything that would actually change the minds of the mass public so drastically, nevermind convincing everyone with irrefutable proof that whatever it was actually happened

i think destroying all/most facebook posts and accounts would be enough to destroy facebook, for instance

I agree, the bar for eroding customer trust is basically impossibly high. Ashley Madison leaked the name of everyone who was using it to cheat on their spouse and yet the site still exists.

I think you have to reset them to zero users to make a difference.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
what about a company that makes hardware? i think tesla is proof positive that even if it is hilariously unsafe, demonstrably so, idiots will still not shut up about how much they love it

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

leak deepfaked sex tapes with the ceo and all the board's partners

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if the ceo was a good person

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

chaosbreather posted:

leak deepfaked sex tapes with the ceo and all the board's partners

might destroy the ceo but not the company

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

totally. but then you do it to the next ceo. then the next ceo. then the next ceo. and eventually no-one will want it or they'll have to hire a eunuch

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

chaosbreather posted:

totally. but then you do it to the next ceo. then the next ceo. then the next ceo. and eventually no-one will want it or they'll have to hire a eunuch

did ... did a eunuch write this?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

rotor posted:

did ... did a eunuch write this?

No, too much talk of Doin' It.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

that will be the year of eunuchs on the desktop

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

:xd:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

chaosbreather posted:

that will be the year of eunuchs on the desktop

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

wouldnt people just go "big deal, another deepfaked video, who gives a poo poo?"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

wouldnt people just go "big deal, another deepfaked video, who gives a poo poo?"

yeah. not going to google it but there must be a bunch of like elon musk one's already or something

animist
Aug 28, 2018
sneak into us-east-1 and release rats

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

animist posted:

already thought this was the explanation for all the us-east-1 troubles

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

animist posted:

RATing into us-east-1 could probably let you do a lot of damage

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
leaving an open gas can inside the air intake and letting hvac do the hard part

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

remembering in the early days of the lockdown when facebook literally locked themselves out of their own data center. iirc they had to manually break in to regain access

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

remembering in the early days of the lockdown when facebook literally locked themselves out of their own data center. iirc they had to manually break in to regain access

iirc there was a physical key and physical locks to use it on, but the person who had the key was some amount of time away. apparently the amount of money they were losing by waiting for the key was more than the damage they caused by breaking in immediately

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
alright here's the plan. these companies need to pay an annual fee or they face deregistration. we target their internal regulatory email accounts, and once we gain access we dump all mail relating to company registration. eventually the target company will be deregistered--effectively killing the company.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

what if you hooked up twitch chat to control the board of directors using the same technology was when they control pokemon etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Buck Turgidson posted:

alright here's the plan. these companies need to pay an annual fee or they face deregistration. we target their internal regulatory email accounts, and once we gain access we dump all mail relating to company registration. eventually the target company will be deregistered--effectively killing the company.

They all have their heaquarters registered to the same delaware office, demolishing that building would make a hundred thousand companies homeless