Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

just one -- the girl reading this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
just about one rogue intern with a dream i reckon

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

zuck answering the question today

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
i try not to think about this one too hard because of the moral implications

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

my homie dhall posted:

i try not to think about this one too hard because of the moral implications

you mean the moral implications of, through our own inaction, allowing a man like zuckerberg or bezos to accumulate such power?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imo if you’re gonna be a rich billionaire change your name to something that doesn’t rhyme with gently caress or bozo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

imo if you’re gonna be a rich billionaire change your name to something that doesn’t rhyme with gently caress or bozo

i'm Smarm "Money" McCool the worlds richest man. watch me lift this car over my head

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
has anyone said “one, and his name is elong musk” yet?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Cat Face Joe posted:

just one, op

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Buck Turgidson posted:

alright here's the plan. these companies need to pay an annual fee or they face deregistration. we target their internal regulatory email accounts, and once we gain access we dump all mail relating to company registration. eventually the target company will be deregistered--effectively killing the company.

Yeah I think this is the right sort of strategy. I think the only person you would really need is the governor of delaware. Have him executive order a 99% corporate tax rate.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah I think this is the right sort of strategy. I think the only person you would really need is the governor of delaware. Have him executive order a 99% corporate tax rate.

i will take this burden. all the hackers on this website, now is your time: crack the voting machines and rig 'em up, just like we did back in '20. elect Roosevelt Governor Delaware 2024 Allahu akbar

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

rotor posted:

you mean the moral implications of, through our own inaction, allowing a man like zuckerberg or bezos to accumulate such power?

or worse!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
zuck, dry cleaning

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Mark Zuckerberg turned philanthropist. He's helping the world by working to destroy his company.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

if you don't care about collateral damage then just releasing all the dms into the wild would probably crater a social networking site

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

susan b buffering posted:

if you don't care about collateral damage then just releasing all the dms into the wild would probably crater a social networking site

it would also probably cause hundreds or thousands of women and lgbtq people to be hunted down + killed. no go

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
release the dms of the 1000 richest users

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

just post the source code to a free software repository. nobody would use the Facebook if they had access to its source to audit and / or run their own version of

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Bloody posted:

just post the source code to a free software repository. nobody would use the Facebook if they had access to its source to audit and / or run their own version of

it would be easier to cobble together an alternative from some existing open source things than to refactor fb in order to remove all the lovely spying and dark patterns and the parts that automatically send your data to every shady piece of poo poo data broker

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

facebook's garbage website is still in php so yeah, probably

I guess their app isn't but lol if you use that

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
pretty sure Bloody was making a joke there

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
The answer?

One musky boy

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
https://gist.github.com/nikcub/3833406

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloody posted:

ive been thinking this, yeah

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

lol 2007 was a hell of a drug

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hmmmmmmmmmmm

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

it only takes 1, if its the right person

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxLAkabYW34

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

rotor posted:

hmmmmmmmmmmm

lol ticket closed

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The Management posted:

they sure were. sold at no margins with the hopes of making it up with, uh, …

Poopernickel posted:

Low margins, but not a money-loser. Not at the scale they were built / sold. I'd bet the hardware sales were profitable but barely. Most of them were also whitelabeled from contract manufacturers / outside design houses.

With that said, the money is in the collected data. Amazon keeps every Alexa query ever sent to them, forever. That kind of data gets used to build up their analytics on you (along with your Amazon purchases / searches, things you string on Prime, etc). Amazon sells that data to advertisers, uses it themselves, and also sells targeted ads.

So the moneymaker isn't the speakers as a hardware product. It's the data the speakers enable them to collect.

quoting this not to poo poo on poopernickel in particular, but just to gloat about calling Alexa a failure now that Amazon admits it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

as usual i was correct. could have closed the thread after that post

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Super glad to see Alexa die. Break-even on hardware costs, but deeply negative when you count the legion of software engineers writing integrations that make a fart sound when you tell Alexa to eat some beans.

Software engineers ruin everything - can confirm as a software engineer

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

well someone just broke our entire Jira and possibly confluence instances by loving up the licenses so yeah, "one" I guess.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Poopernickel posted:

Super glad to see Alexa die. Break-even on hardware costs, but deeply negative when you count the legion of software engineers writing integrations that make a fart sound when you tell Alexa to eat some beans.

Software engineers ruin everything - can confirm as a software engineer

in this instance the hero software engineers are out ruining things that should be ruined though

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

well someone just broke our entire Jira and possibly confluence instances by loving up the licenses so yeah, "one" I guess.

sounds like they found a way to increase productivity

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

sounds like they found a way to increase productivity

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

PMs can’t annoy you about your bugs either

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just say "one" and close this imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

just say "one" and close this imo

thats the easy, boring answer. The question is how many people who DONT own the place does it take