Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

some plague rats posted:

That's a good point, can someone tell CZS to stop slamming his buttons every time the conversation gestures in a direction not covered by the thread title

Harold Fjord posted:

I think things are on the right track except that czs wanders around random slaughtering perfectly decent conversations

Not to speak for Koos or the other mods, but a big part of the reason Leon Trotsky 2012 was asked to mod (and foolishly accepted, the schmuck) is he's super active in the US CE thread and can better moderate in real-time rather than mostly relying on reports after the fact. It's always better to try and be active and guide discussion in the present rather than hand out probes much later. Again, not to speak for LT2012, but it seems like he's mostly gonna act as a super-IK for the US CE thread so you'll probably see cinci acting on US CE reports much less often.

Totally unrelated, any ideas for "fun" stuff or new threads, etc? Athanatos is back to actively admin'ing and is encouraging us to do fun stuff, give out prizes, etc. I tried to get a "debate club" thing going a while back where folks could discuss a narrow historical topic/issue for prizes: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990897
It was okay but didn't really take off. I still like the idea, but I think the problem in getting it going is a lot of users browse based on their bookmarks, so it's hard to get new threads going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Fister Roboto posted:

A couple weeks ago I got in an argument with another poster. I accused them of making a stale argument, and ironically I got probated for "posting about posters" (this is another extremely arbitrary rule). Lots of other people were probated responding to them. I talked to another mod about it, asked why none of the other poster's posts were probateable when they was doing the exact same thing. I was told to report the posts, and I did, and nothing ever came of it. So yeah, just based on what I can see, it seems pretty arbitrary.

Fister Roboto posted:

I did exactly that. I PMd you specifically, not just to ask why I was probated, but why the other poster hadn't been probated for being a caustic, condescending rear end in a top hat and also posting about posters. I did what you told me to do and nothing happened.

Was this the exchange with Discendo Vox in Politoons about a cartoon being gaslighting? June 27-28th? If so I handled some of those reports and also had a PM exchange with you.

My recollection is that cinci issued probes for some reports in that conversation, then later on when I was active I chose to respond in-thread. My post was not a ruling "in favor" of Discendo Vox, in fact I posted his use of "gaslighting" didn't really seem to fit the dictionary definition and asked folks to drop the line of discussion.

My PM to you was explaining that different mods have somewhat different approaches or styles. For example, I don't give out 6ers all that often and typically choose to respond in-thread if a discussion is still ongoing to see if I can steer it back on course or just ask it be dropped if it's not productive.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Harold Fjord posted:

So mods inclined to probe leftists come on and do that then less aggressive mods come in and forgive centrists
The system works

Mmm, I think it's just both ends of the ideological spectrum trying to play the refs against each other, honestly. The more liberal/centrist posters express the same frustration you do but in reverse: we don't probe or otherwise moderate leftists enough.

I believe Koos has mentioned before that one reason lefty posters get probed more is simply because there are quite a few more of them active in US CE. If I had to put numbers on it I'd guess it's about a 2:1 ratio of more left to more centrist posters, ideologically.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

VitalSigns posted:

Which is why, to ensure I found a valid example, I reported this post over eight hours ago, and cited the rules it violated: Rule II.C "fresh or falsifiable" which we're discussing now and Rule I.A.4 "the deception of posting something you don't know to be true or false as though you know it to be true" (the other incredibly subjective rule that I've noticed tends to be arbitrarily and selectively applied).

No action taken so far.

(Sorry Levitate, not trying to get you punished, I don't like reporting posts and almost never do it, just trying to make a point)

I'll let Koos reply to your larger points, but for the specific post in question the report is sitting in the queue unresolved waiting for Leon Trotsky 2012 (or someone else) to handle it. I did glance at it but it was nothing urgent. I'm not sure if it's an explicit decision from Koos Group but we've been letting LT2012 handle much of the reports from US CE. A major reason he was asked to moderate is he's super active in the US CE thread, he's kind of a super-IK for it I guess? And report volume has gone way, way down the last week or two which is good.

But anyway, it's sitting in the queue unresolved, it hasn't been declined.

edit: LT2012 is sort of a super-IK in the sense he doesn't really post and hasn't been moderating outside of the US CE thread, he's pretty focused on that.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 30, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Koos Group posted:

Actually I just made that report a few minutes ago to verify that it hadn't been reported. Which itself is the reason nothing had been done about it.

Here's the one VitalSigns submitted from this morning that is unresolved, it's for a different Levitate post - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008715 (mod forum link for Koos)

this is the Levitate post VS reported this morning, I think VS quoted the wrong one above:

Levitate posted:

Obama did fine against Romney and McCain? People were mostly excited about him even for his second term?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
It's not a gimmick, they've also PM'd users in the past with the same stuff (lists of questions they're seeking reassurance on).

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
The maximum daily reports for users with platinum is 10 and literally the only user who I've seen max out their reports is B B, who throws tantrums when they catch a 6er and will max out spamming reports with their probation text for several days out of spite.

The idea that there's some "crew" of users spamming frivolous reports in D&D (or CSPAM!) to own their posting enemies is not based in reality.

edit: admins are not keen on stripping someone's reporting ability or otherwise punishing problem reporters because reports are a valuable way to interact with moderation and we don't want to discourage them. Instead, I asked for and received the go-ahead to publicly name and shame the only current problem reporter (B B) for being a huge whiny baby.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 31, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Pictured: the only current problem reporter in D&D or CSPAM or hell, really the forums at all. Literally the only person who maxes their reports like this. Why do I include reports from "John Kasich?" Because John Kasich is an alt of B B that they logged onto to spam even more reports when they maxed out on their main.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

some plague rats posted:

I'm sure it's very annoying and all but honestly: lmao

it's really not lol. it takes all of 3min to just copy-paste file them all as bullshit reports.

that's why it's such a silly tantrum, it's not really any inconvenience to the mods or admins but it sure makes you look like a giant toddler

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

okay so what would happen if I registered like ten or more accounts and used them to create a simulacrum of political discussion in d&d superficially indistinguishable from earnest debate of differing points of view

or is that allowed and people already do it

seems like a foolproof plan, we've no way to prevent or respond to this. you should do it imo.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

some plague rats posted:

He's a large dog that somebody taught to post, as a joke

Hey now, let's not discriminate against our four-legged friends being able to post.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

perhaps we need a forum for discussing history

I unironically tried this with a "Weekend Debate Club" topical thread, the idea was to get folks to dig deep into historical issues that are well-documented, the topic I chose was regarding Civil Rights as it was MLK Day weekend. It went okay but didn't get a lot of engagement.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Re: forum dying, the "users browsing" is consistently around 300 during peak posting hours and drops to around 100 late at night. It's been like that for at least the last year, year and a half.

Readership went up massively when the Ukraine war first started, we actually had more viewers than CSPAM for a few weeks (>1000). It will also increase with election seasons, particularly presidential elections.

Last December I crunched some numbers on USPol/US CE threads as far back on the active forums as I could go. Here is the general pattern:

Pre-Trump and 2016 election, threads are about the same pace they are today.
2015 primaries and Trump election, absolutely massive surge in readership to the point that the main US Politics thread was getting 2,000 posts per day. CSPAM is created.
Through 2020 readership gradually slows and currently we're back to about the same activity as D&D had pre-Trump.

My interpretation of that is Trump and the 2016 election kind of crack-pinged a lot of SA users who previously weren't all that engaged in politics posting. It "broke" D&D in a sense and spawned CSPAM. Now we're reverting to the mean, more or less.

edit: I should also say, not only did Trump/2016 cause a surge in posting, the most-active posters also turned over. Pre- and post-2016 D&D have quite a different set of most-active posters. I think this supports my notion that Trump/2016 election got a ton of SA users interested in politics that weren't very engaged before.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 31, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Stringent posted:

sounds as if there might be 10x more americans posting on here doesn't it?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, UKMT alone is about as active as the US threads combined. D&D on the whole is majority non-American, talking about non-American things.

US Politics posting in D&D is a minority of its traffic, as cinci said, UKMT by itself is similar traffic to US CE. It's just that US stuff creates most of the reports and conflict.

I compiled this data last December when I was snowed in, so it's a little bit old, but illustrates the general point. Here were the top 25 threads in D&D by traffic as of Dec 2021:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

studio mujahideen posted:

The stale arguments rule is idiotic because it privileges gross, bad opinions. Because the only thing that triggers it is responding. You can express the same disgusting opinions however many times you want, but people only get to refute you once.

Someone says the same gross poo poo again, in a slightly different way? Thats fine. Refute that, the same way you did before? Now you're arguing, stale-style.

also itd be cool if any of the eight mods addressed the text of the post that got cat bothered probed, that flaming stink has posted about multiple times in this thread about, and everyone has politely ignored.

Koos Group posted:

Yes, I've been speaking to flaming stink in private and now believe I should have hashed it out in the thread rather than a probo. The reason for it is that poster personalities are de-emphasized in D&D and we shouldn't tell anyone not to participate in a discussion. Miss stink has clarified what she intended and asked me to post it, which was to communicate the gravity of the arguments Leon was making, which she believes are supporting rhetoric that can lead to dead queer people. She felt the best way to make Leon understand was to ask him to stop posting for a moment and consider.

Koos addressed the Leon post and unnecessary probe several hours after they occurred.