Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Feels more like the Klopp era in Liverpool's just about out of steam tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Don't his teams have form for imploding after 7 years

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

TheRat posted:

Don't his teams have form for imploding after 7 years

Well, Dortmund did. Mainz kind of petered out over the course of years 5-7

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Dortmund also had Bayern poaching their attacking talent every other season

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Time to end the disastrous Liverpool experiment

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

I feel like I could handle an implosion after 7 years of mega success and trophies

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

To seriouspost, I think the current Liverpool team is guilty of little other than being fatigued and in transition. 2019 to end of last season has been pretty intense with demands of players and a good number of first choice players in that period are getting comfortably into their 30s. I think they still miss Wijnaldum and I don't think Diaz presses as well as Mane, at least not yet, and I imagine he's still getting used to playing with Robertson on that side.

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

I feel like I could handle an implosion after 7 years of mega success and trophies

Interestingly, apart from the Europa League he's picked up one of each trophy at Liverpool I think

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 24, 2022

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Liverpool look significantly less quick and dangerous than they have in past years. Some of that is probably fatigue but they are getting older and Mane was a big loss. I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes them a couple years to rebuild and it will be interesting to see whether FSG actually lets Klopp oversee a rebuild.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

We're always 6 to 12 months behind on transfers.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

blue footed boobie posted:

Liverpool look significantly less quick and dangerous than they have in past years. Some of that is probably fatigue but they are getting older and Mane was a big loss. I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes them a couple years to rebuild and it will be interesting to see whether FSG actually lets Klopp oversee a rebuild.

Klopp is the only reason why FSG's model looks like it works and isn't another example of American corporate folly. Hopefully they have stopped huffing their own farts and back him up decently, but who knows.

If I was a billionaire, I suppose I'd think I was always right as well.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Flayer posted:

Liverpool aren't going to break 60 points unless they start playing seriously better. 7 games in a row now is it where they have conceded first, that is simply unsustainable if they want to be winning games regularly. Maybe smashing Bournemouth this weekend will raise morale.

I only watched their game against United so far but their midfield is bad without Thiago and Fabinho. Case in point, look how good Scott McTominay looks in this clip:

https://streamja.com/20g5p

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

jettisonedstuff posted:

I only watched their game against United so far but their midfield is bad without Thiago and Fabinho. Case in point, look how good Scott McTominay looks in this clip:

https://streamja.com/20g5p

McTominay has that in him, what he can't do is receive the ball on the half turn under pressure when you're trying to play out from the back and being pressed. Neither can Fred, which is why having two midfielders that can't do that, exposes the defence and goal keeper when trying to inexplicably play out from the back with personnel that can't do it.

Had we tried that against Liverpool it would have been a very different result.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I saw a stat recently that said something insane like McTominay has the highest rate of successful dribbles of any midfielder in the prem the past year or whatever

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

He's pretty good at nicking the ball, beating a player, and then passing the ball into someone's shins.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Agree with what's been said here. The players look gassed just like they did in the second half of the 2020-21 season, and it's no surprise really. We had a hell of a season last year, made the final of every competition while also competing for the league, which meant every match was high pressure and the first team played an unbelievable amount of matches. I'm not surprised they're mentally and physically exhausted. I had hoped that having a proper offseason would help (no World Cup in the summer...) but clearly it didn't. Players getting little injuries that take them out of contention isn't surprising in that kind of context, but that also means a greater workload put on the players left uninjured.

Combine that with a squad that have accomplished a lot together but are now aging together, and it's troubling. imo the team could really use an injection of new blood and I like the signings that are being made, but it seems like we just aren't making enough signings to refresh the squad at the moment, and we've been focused on renewing the front three more than anywhere else and it shows. I think Diaz and Nunez will be good players for us, and Jota has also been a good addition. I like the look of Fabio Carvalho as well. Even with Mane gone, I think the attack will be fine once those players are bedded in and stop headbutting people. This season the biggest problems I've seen are clowncar defensive mistakes that I don't think would have happened a year ago and a lack of energy in the midfield, which isn't surprising when we're starting Milner and most of our defenders or midfielders look tired or out of ideas. Harvey Elliott looks promising but he plays like a winger, not a central midfielder, and Curtis Jones is injured I guess? I don't think he was even on the bench against Man U.

It reminds me of the players looking tired in mid 2020-21, but it also reminds me of whichever season that was (the same one, I think) where all our defenders were injured and we were playing Henderson and Fabinho in central defence, and our midfield looked completely exposed as a result. Everybody talks about the front three in Klopp's system or whatever but really I think the midfield is the most important part of the pitch for it, you need players who contribute to the press, who drop back to link up with the defenders and allow the fullbacks to overlap, and who will get forward and link up with the attack as well. Against Man U we had 2/3 players who were too slow or inexperienced to press effectively and who were playing like strikers instead of linking up with the defence, and it meant we were completely outplayed all over the pitch.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
With 20:20 hindsight, they chose wrong in picking Thiago over Wijnaldum

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

tarbrush posted:

I think the fact he's missed, according to transfermarkt, 171 matches through injury in his career gave nearly 20:20 foresight that he wasn't the answer as well.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Meanwhile Wijnaldum has now been loaned out to Roma after a single season with PSG

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Meanwhile Wijnaldum has now been loaned out to Roma after a single season with PSG

Don't worry, he's already broken his leg.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

tarbrush posted:

The problem with a model based on being clever is that trying to be clever is often the quickest route to screwing up.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
The entire Liverpool team has "asthma" & if you question that at all shame on you

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Liverpool have a billion first team injuries and that surprisingly impacts how the team performs. Not really deeper than that

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

The entire Liverpool team has "asthma" & if you question that at all shame on you

I love a good TUE

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Are they still over 50% of players with asthma?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Shrapnig posted:

Don't worry, he's already broken his leg.

In training even

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

UnderFreddy posted:

Liverpool have a billion first team injuries and that surprisingly impacts how the team performs. Not really deeper than that

Feel free to not delve in any deeper then, kindly don't tell the rest of us we're discussing it wrong.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/SouthamptonFC/status/1563555220562808834

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 27, 2022

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Eric the Mauve posted:

Lol, lmao. Cheeky 9-0 for the lads

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lol

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Guardian just did the most Guardian thing ever. The Liverpool-Bournemouth match report describes it as "extracted the Michael out of" them.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/StatmanDave/status/1563536017516216321

Not bad for a 5'4 centre back

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Maybe he’s just not going up for them because he’s miniature?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

nah he's aggro as gently caress

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Farcenal

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
https://twitter.com/ShamoonHafez/status/1563566951276101632?t=8aAl0xnXNJotORPq2Hx8uQ&s=19

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

boooooo

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Whoops, wrong thread.

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 27, 2022

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

I feel bad for their keeper. 7 goals were players in acres of space rocketing shots into the corners or uncontested headers in the box, plus an own goal by a defender and one more where he made 2 good stops from very close before allowing the goal in on the 3rd shot with the defenders just watching.

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
https://twitter.com/JPercyTelegraph/status/1564244993149132803?s=20&t=G9pA4B65b1YyD6R5JgnEbw :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/WhoScored/status/1564173509378670593?t=966_D5tGAGgp4dwxoRGF1g&s=19

Fan-loving-tastic.