Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Guess everyone forgot about the Balkans, that's ok. Nothing gonna happen anyway.

https://twitter.com/JosepBorrellF/status/1563553048978264065

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lostconfused posted:

Guess everyone forgot about the Balkans, that's ok. Nothing gonna happen anyway.

https://twitter.com/JosepBorrellF/status/1563553048978264065

Laughing at the dudes who thought this was going to start a world war.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/dietcokegirI/status/1562529937797840896

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Bump

What's the deal with the balkans? Anyone got a good book or article or video about the balkan conflicts for balkan newbs?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the balkans are generally considered to be a mistake

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ted hitler hunter posted:

Bump

What's the deal with the balkans? Anyone got a good book or article or video about the balkan conflicts for balkan newbs?

The Guns of August

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Laughing at the dudes who thought this was going to start a world war.

lets put a pin on that one

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:36 on Dec 11, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cerebral Bore posted:

the balkans are generally considered to be a mistake

Balkans without the Ottomans is like a house without a roof. Come back.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ardennes posted:

lets put a pin on that one

no one is going to destroy the world for kosovo lmfao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Donbass

A flash point doesn't depend on its material worth. If the West goes in, it would be a escalating an already fragile situation. The issue is assuming all of this is meaningless.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:31 on Dec 11, 2022

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i will destroy kosovo

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Light the motherfucking powder keg already. Get on with it!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it would be very funny if ww3 started over vojvodina tho

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
can someone give me the tl;dr of why Russia was fuckin gassing the chechens only 20 years ago, but now they're the most ardent nationalists in Russia?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the influx of foreign mujahideen and wahhabism was very threatening to some traditional power structure within chechen society, that combined with some hefty bribes and promises from russia led to a bunch of people switching sides and helping russia invade in the second chechen war. kadyrov can basically do whatever he wants, including assassinating government officials, kidnapping them etc. but he's also consequently very loyal to putin.

there's still an insurgency in the caucasus but it's much less dangerous than it was 10-15 years ago.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

mawarannahr posted:

Balkans without the Ottomans is like a house without a roof. Come back.

Kosovo is lead by Osmani, which spells Osman I. Clearly the true inheritor.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/xhemajl_rexha/status/1607124837452988417

https://twitter.com/Blerim_Vela/status/1607125545740812289

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lobster shirt posted:

i will destroy kosovo

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The recent incitement against Latvians in CSPAM is going to start WW3

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/anadoluagency/status/1607513000432533506

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
cool, we really need some drat fool thing in the balkans right now

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1607779879625555969?t=6NtsoEpuq3bJX8yKKxpWBA&s=19

Operation Storm was an ethnic cleansing of Serbians from Croatia.

quote:

One year ago, on August 4, 1995, the Croatian Army launched "Operation Storm," an offensive to retake the Krajina region, which had been controlled by separatist ethnic Serbs since early 1991. The offensive, which lasted a mere thirty-six hours, resulted in the death of an estimated 526 Serbs, 116 of whom were reportedly civilians, and in the displacement of an estimated 200,000 who fled in the immediate aftermath. However, while the Croatian military committed violations of humanitarian law during the course of the offensive such as the bombardment of a column of retreating Serbian civilians and soldiers which caused deaths among the civilians, the vast majority of the abuses committed by Croatian forces occurred after the area had been captured. These abuses by Croatian government forces, which continued on a large scale even months after the area had been secured by Croatian authorities, included summary executions of elderly and infirm Serbs who remained behind and the wholesale burning and destruction of Serbian villages and property. In the months following the August offensive, at least 150 Serb civilians were summarily executed and another 110 persons forcibly disappeared.

In addition to those who fled during the offensive itself, those who remained in their homes or returned to their homes in the weeks after the offensive were ultimately forced to flee the area because of the widespread and systematic nature of abuses by Croatian government agents. The scope and time-frame of the abuses indicate that the Croatian government both was aware of the looting, burning and killing and allowed it to continue with impunity.

https://www.hrw.org/reports/1996/Croatia.htm

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

Operation Storm was an ethnic cleansing of Serbians from Croatia.

which was preceded by krajina serbs ethnically cleansing croats out of serbian-held parts of croatia in about the same/greater numbers, but the international left loves these loving butchers
wasn't it an hrw bigwig that ratted out fred hampton to the fbi so they could assassinate him, btw

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Doktor Avalanche posted:

which was preceded by krajina serbs ethnically cleansing croats out of serbian-held parts of croatia in about the same/greater numbers, but the international left loves these loving butchers
wasn't it an hrw bigwig that ratted out fred hampton to the fbi so they could assassinate him, btw

The international left loves Serbia? Anyway my opinion is pointing fingers about who has ethnically cleansed whom in former Yugoslavia and in the balkans more generally is not a game I think anyone will win. But bringing up specific examples of the ethnic cleansing you've done in threats/posts whatever is in bad taste regardless of who was most ethnically cleansed overall. But also I guess its just some twitter guy who said it? Might as well read the comments on youtube.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

the record label that puts out aphex twin and autechre and boards of canada and more made a tv show about the EU’s subconscious interpretation of their participation in the balkan wars in the 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crbivXF2k1Y

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Unless posted:

the record label that puts out aphex twin and autechre and boards of canada and more made a tv show about the EU’s subconscious interpretation of their participation in the balkan wars in the 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crbivXF2k1Y

did she say the hit was 15 mil euro, and this is set in the 90s??

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Honest Thief posted:

did she say the hit was 15 mil euro, and this is set in the 90s??

set in pre-brexit eurozone

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Unless posted:

set in pre-brexit eurozone

I was thinking that the euro was only in the late 90s but it was introduced back in 92, so that was throwing me off

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It was introduced as a banking currency in 1999 but not adopted for actual physical usage until 2002.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's hard to follow this poo poo in english, because nobody cares, well nobody on twitter anyway

https://twitter.com/DanielS18352008/status/1608139330681282561

https://twitter.com/YugoslavKomiser/status/1608136295645069312

https://www.kosovo-online.com/en/news/politics/rakic-we-only-trust-president-vucic-we-invite-him-listen-peoples-representatives

quote:

The leader of the Serbian List, Goran Rakic, said that the representatives of the Serbs from Kosovo and Metohija spoke with the President of Serbia, Aleksandar Vucic, and that they heard from him the news about the release of the arrested Serbs, as well as his opinion that it would be good to remove the barricades.

"After this meeting, we are going to talk with our people in Kosovo and Metohija. We received important news regarding the release of Pantic, Nedeljkovic and other arrested persons. We have read the EU and US guarantees that there will be no arrests of people participating in the peaceful protests caused by Kurti's terror. We received new guarantees from KFOR that there will be no deployment of Kosovo security forces to the north of Kosovo," he told for TV Pink.

Rakic said that the President of Serbia thought it was good to remove the barricades.

"We don't trust Kurti's government. I can say that we don't trust international guarantees either. We call on President Vucic to listen to the people's representatives at the barricades. We will come to him with precise demands. We only trust him," explained Rakic.

He said that the Serbs knew that Vucic was suffering a lot of pressure, but that those who directly participated in the protest were asking him for guarantees, because they only trusted him.

"We have demands that we will convey. President, we only trust you, we need your guarantees," Rakic concluded.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
We only listen to this one guy, which is why we will present him with a list of demands.

hmmmm

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Atrocious Joe posted:

The recent incitement against Latvians in CSPAM is going to start WW3

Comparing any nation to dogs is an incitement against dogs.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Business Gorillas posted:

I'm the person in Spain licking my lips and rubbing my hands while looking at the Portuguese border

just wanted to come in and state an important truth: Greece is a British puppet fascist state, basically a racist backwater that doesn't allow mosques to be built. That dick shaped fake satanic state is Anatolia and should be a part of Turkey conjoined with the rest of the Ottoman civilization that is a successor to the Byzantines

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Business Gorillas posted:

I'm the person in Spain licking my lips and rubbing my hands while looking at the Portuguese border

why didnt no one ask us what we think of Olivença's ownership :( portugal the butt of europe even in xenophobia

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Top City Homo posted:

just wanted to come in and state an important truth: Greece is a British puppet fascist state, basically a racist backwater that doesn't allow mosques to be built. That dick shaped fake satanic state is Anatolia and should be a part of Turkey conjoined with the rest of the Ottoman civilization that is a successor to the Byzantines

Greece? Never heard of it. You mean Yunanistan?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Greece? Never heard of it. You mean Yunanistan?

now we are talking

Yunan province will be rejoined with its civilization

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Top City Homo posted:

Devil's advocate: banning religion would be a great accomplishment for humanity if it could happen by popular decree

Weka
May 5, 2019

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Devil's advocate: banning religion would be a great accomplishment for humanity if it could happen by popular decree

How much of the population would need to support such a decree? The devil is supposed to be a smart guy I think not some boob who makes inane claims.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

shutup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020