Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
I'm taking a business trip to Philadelphia in September (2022). I'll have two full days after that to spend in the city. I'll be within walking distance of Center City/Old City.

When I was a kid, we took a family trip to Philly and saw Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell, so I'm not terribly motivated to see those again. What else is there to see in the area?

I got burned really hard on my last trip (NYC) when all 3 shows I booked were cancelled, so my new rule for COVID travel is "don't book events, book locations". What interesting/unusual museums/landmarks/restaurants should I visit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
WikiVoyage is super reliable for finding out museums/landmarks to visit ( https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Philadelphia ). For unusual stuff, Atlas Obscura does a pretty good job ( https://www.atlasobscura.com/things-to-do/philadelphia-pennsylvania ) although of course not as good as a local who really knows their stuff, but it's better than a local who just goes to work and goes home every day too, as I find a lot of locals actually don't know poo poo about the place they've lived for a decade.

For shows / temporary stuff, that's harder to find reliably; you can try Reddit but IMO it is garbage for that, which basically means you just have to do a bunch of Google searches for whatever type of stuff you're interested in.

Not trying to be snarky, just that without more info "I specifically love [X type of thing]" it's hard to give specific recommendations for someone only staying in a location for a couple days, even if you were asking about a city I had lived in for years, which does not apply to Philadelphia.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mutter Museum, it's a bunch of medical oddities from the 19 century. The wildest thing you're going to see in that town.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
If I'm going to arrive in Philly tomorrow, what are Philly goons' recs for food near like, Independence Square? I'd heard good things about Beddia Pizzeria, but also "good luck actually getting in there lol"

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Bumping this thread because I'll be in Philly next April.

I'll peruse the two links with suggestions for landmarks and things to do and probably will have some questions later.

For transportation, is the SEPTA and other mass transit worth using? I'll be there for 2 days total with one day being a Phillies game. I'm trying to decide if having a car in town will be more trouble than its worth.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'll peruse the two links with suggestions for landmarks and things to do and probably will have some questions later.

For transportation, is the SEPTA and other mass transit worth using? I'll be there for 2 days total with one day being a Phillies game. I'm trying to decide if having a car in town will be more trouble than its worth.

It's fine, but the subway may/may not get you to where you want to be since it's somewhat limited where it goes. Luckily, the Phillies stadium is right on the subway, so that should take care of a day. Parking in Philly is a pain, but it's not as expensive as say, NYC.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

If you're just going to be in Center City then I'd skip the car, Philly is pretty walkable if you're in the city. The subway and buses are fine but there's only two actual subway lines, one under Broad St (runs north-south) and one under Market Street (runs east-west, turning northeast once it hits the Delaware River).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll see if I can talk the rest of the group into skipping the car for that leg of the trip.