Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Cubone posted:

I don't remember this

i was smoking hash oil like all day every day at the time so it was probably a hallucination. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

also, lol if you struggle to breathe in a mask. i can get them being uncomfortable, especially in hot and humid weather, but you must have the diaphragm of that goon who can't open a bag of reeces pieces if you can't breathe through it.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
people making internet videos to keep each other sane was nice :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWDaN71nYac

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
August 8, 2020

The headline of an opinion piece I saw today:

“We can, and must, put a price on human life”

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Andrew Cuomo becoming a liberal hero

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I was pretty amazed to discover that literally every business in the country that isn't a restaurant or retail is absolutely essential to the continued functioning of civilization.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

JetSetGo posted:

The streets being empty of nearly all traffic. Felt like some real apocalyptic poo poo cause where I live its super densely populated.

This was my favorite part of covid. When the gym shut down, I switched immediately to biking and I had the streets of Philadelphia basically to myself and could get in 10-15 miles and barely see any cars when I rode after 8 or so.

Also, every white guy I knew age 30 or over started posting their 10 favorite movies/albums, etc. on facebook, one every day. Finding just the right Big Lebowski clip or whatever for each post was a great way to kill an hour or two.

People in my neighborhood got really into the 6-feet rule and put decals all over the pavement, mostly in places where nobody would ever get that close anyway.

There was a lot of confusion about whether supermarket aisles were supposed to be all one way. They put arrows on the floor in one place, but nobody really paid attention to them even when otherwise being super cautious.

Back when cheapo fabric masks were the usual, wacky pop culture masks were a big thing. I had one with a big Charley Brown zigzag on it that got me a lot of compliments.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

https://youtu.be/bQK32bwvRuI

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Bad Purchase posted:

also, lol if you struggle to breathe in a mask. i can get them being uncomfortable, especially in hot and humid weather, but you must have the diaphragm of that goon who can't open a bag of reeces pieces if you can't breathe through it.

my main issue with the masks was in winter when they'd up my glasses fog stats 200%

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Cubone posted:

people making internet videos to keep each other sane was nice :kimchi:
There was an instagram account for maybe a couple of months where celebrities read books for children. Paul Scheer read BJ Novak's The Book with No Pictures and my daughter and I still watch it sometimes.

Lisa Loeb did a couple of cute livestreams for kids.

Also we spent a couple of days binge-watching Mister Rogers' Neighborhood on Amazon Prime because it made me feel slightly calmer to remember what it was like when civilization was not right on the brink of collapse.

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 4, 2022

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
January 1, 2021

“In Tennessee, officials were caught on camera vaccinating close friends and family rather than following protocol. When questioned by journalists, those vaccinated chuckled and bragged they had 'contacts' who get them in after others were told doses had been depleted.”

January 2, 2021

Turns out the Nashville bomber believed in lizard people.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

This was really early on, and very lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23QqBOLf48o

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I had a serious "oh gently caress this thing is for real" moment when Adam Schlesinger died.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
January 22, 2021

“Owners abruptly forced a Houston hospital to close its doors after it fell behind on rent. Doctors attempted to treat patients in the parking lot but private security and police prevented medical staff from retrieving equipment from inside.”

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

that cringe version of Imagine that all the celebrities recorded

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bad Purchase posted:

i'm asthmatic and play high intensity roller derby for like seven hours a week in a building with no AC in a mask without issue, the trick is using a mask spacer when the temperature or humidity are too high

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

JetSetGo posted:

The streets being empty of nearly all traffic. Felt like some real apocalyptic poo poo cause where I live its super densely populated.

I live in Orlando by all the theme parks and tourist stuff. From Mid March of 2020 through July 2020 when everything was shut down I did an awful lot of driving around because I didn't have much else to do in my free time and, for the first time ever, I could drive around here without it being loving infuriating.

I'll never forget a few things, like one of like 5 cars driving through Disney World. In the afternoon. If I drove through at night, I'd likely be the ONLY car. Driving through Universal's property (which is much smaller and more dense than Disney's), stopping my car on the road, and stepping out, and hearing absolute silence. Seeing security guards stationed at the entrance to each theme park's parking lot. I wish I had filmed more of these sights than I did.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
wiping down your groceries was peak hysteria imho

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

kntfkr posted:

my main issue with the masks was in winter when they'd up my glasses fog stats 200%

If you get the ones with the nose folds that flip up that you can put between your nose and your glasses it mostly solves that issue.

The masks I bought from Stark's vacuums were awesome because of that.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Chinatown posted:

wiping down your groceries was peak hysteria imho

but cdc told me there were fomites on my bananas

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

jim from the office had a youtube that lasted like 2 months

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
5G :roflolmao:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I was working in the Texas Medical Center at the time, so one day for lunch I left my unit and walked down to one of the buildings that would be normally pretty packed at that time.

There was not another person around and it was dead quiet.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

a mysterious cloak posted:

I was working in the Texas Medical Center at the time, so one day for lunch I left my unit and walked down to one of the buildings that would be normally pretty packed at that time.

There was not another person around and it was dead quiet.

In contrast to this, now when I go to places on days that used to be quiet pre-pandemic (which is my preference) places are packed now. Like, they're always packed, no matter what, if they're open.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

The Bloop posted:

It makes it somewhat unpleasant, not harder unless you have some very specific condition

A pretty weird thing to disprove that though: A doctor wore an O2 sensor and triple mask and ran on a treadmill and it didn't diminish poo poo, the video was widely circulated

“I have a mask exemption because I have a rare condition that means I can’t breath while wearing a thin cotton cover you forget about putting on 5 minutes after doing so. No my condition doesn’t effect my life in any way shape of form, why do you ask?”

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

They sky wasn't polluted, you could see way more stars, and the incessant hum of highways fell silent.

Don't know if that was "weird", just nice.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
After they told all the students not to return from spring break in 2020, my dining hall workplace was closed, but for union contract reasons they couldn't not pay us, they were unwilling to have us do some sort of WFH thing, and they couldn't lay us off, so they had us come in to work on our regular schedule, clean stuff, try out some social distancing techniques, cook for ourselves and... mostly sit around playing on our phones. It was completely ridiculous. So one day, when we really had nothing to do at all, I decided to take a walk around campus. It's a big one and I usually don't have the time to explore it, so that was nice. I didn't see a single other person outside. The stark difference in how nice and new the STEM side of campus is compared to the humanities slums is pretty lol.

And the next day I did it again. And I think I kept doing it for about a week before somebody noticed. Then I received quite the talking-to.

A couple months later, management realized I had the right idea and let us all go on walks in groups. We started going to the beach most days. I still clearly remember one extremely foggy day. It was so thick, I couldn't see the chef ten feet in front of me. I remember thinking, "I could just stay behind... get lost out here forever, in the ocean fog."

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Inept posted:

jim from the office had a youtube that lasted like 2 months

lol i even watched it. twice 🤦‍♀️

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JetSetGo posted:

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

It’s a bit too early to be nostalgic about the start of the pandemic.

Both of these. Can go back to messages with my partner from around that time and we were both talking about how more than anything else, the silence and stillness was nice even though it was eerie because it meant people were actually staying inside. Important to remember for future generations that it absolutely didn't last, and not nearly long enough.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I had a pretty wild weekend at the beginning of lock down.

Thursday March 12, 2020:
- Get set up at work for possible WFH.

Friday March 13, 2020:
- Took the day off to await a call about my mom's cancer diagnosis.
- Get a call from my sister telling me our dad had a heart attack at the cancer clinic.

Saturday March 14, 2020:
- Fly from CA to MT to be with dad and help out. Didn't book a return flight, but expected it to be 2 weeks and took my computer tower with me.
- Dad gets moved out of ICU. 2 hours after, ICU receives its first covid patient and that floor goes into quarantine, yellow tape on the elevators and all.

Sunday March 15, 2020:
- Dad gets discharged. Had a widow-maker, but was also an extreme case of right place, right time. Proceeds to drive us the 4 hours home, really stubborn about doing it.

Monday March 16, 2020:
- CA goes into full lock down. I am officially WFH until called back to work.

Wednesday August 3, 2022:
- Never got called back into work. Still in MT because I like my family and being in the country. Am now on my third WFH contract.

Also Mom's fine!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Rockman Reserve posted:

read it again, hoss, come the gently caress on it's a single sentence

lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

aghhhhhhhh

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEri4hcKM_E

Mysterious Jim
Sep 7, 2021
Cannonball run records getting repeatedly broken in those traffic-free weeks.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

rain dogs posted:

that cringe version of Imagine that all the celebrities recorded

I remembered this stupid thing while scrolling but I wasn't sure if this was a vapid and out of touch happening from 2017 or so, unrelated to covid.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
Food shopping was interesting, so many people doing so for parents, etc in the aisles trying to decipher boomer ingredients and running around with the phone in one hand to find the exact brand of shaker Parmesan cheese as everything else would be "inedible"

I had fun with it - snuck things they'd never tried before in to the bags... a few even stuck!

The thing where they'd stream all the Broadway plays was lit - our friends around the country would all sit on group chat, press play at the same time and lmao together at em, Turned into Plex movie nights for a while in the same format.

Our town organized 'home happy hours' where you could pay for all the restaraunts in town to drop off appetizers and drinks at your door on Friday nights.

I really hate to say it but the start of the pandemic before the politics when nobody knew what the hell was going on and everyone was confused together was super wholesome.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
wiping down delivered groceries and leaving them outside lmao

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Wuhan being super empty back in Feb 2020 was surreal because when I worked there over the couple of years just prior to that it was always so busy. I used to stay in a hotel opposite Han st (the mall shown at 0:43 to 0:53) and it was always full, even at like 1am, so to see it empty was really weird and surreal and drove the whole thing home before it hit the west.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

February of 2020 I was working on staff at a local sci-fi and gaming con, and I remember taking my lunch break in the college campus bar and eating a plate of chips while Sky News was covering the ‘Wuhan Virus’, talking about mass graves being dug and emergency hospitals having to open to treat the sick and dying. And then the reporter said there wasn’t much danger of it spreading outside of China…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
I bet theres people still driving around with used facemasks hanging from the rearview mirror, lined across the dash vents and glass, cooking in the sun, stuffed into the door pockets, and just NOT seeing a single problem with this. Oh just move that tuff out of the way, you tell me. Cool here have some tissues i blew my nose into, just cram those in wherever.
Hated that poo poo so loving much. Facemasks just dropped in the street like old gum. Stop it. One plastic bag can hold so many used masks why are you like this. One little inconvenience and now everyone drives hoardermobiles.
Society just hanging by a cheap elastic string tell you what.